Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby KindGalaxy » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 6:49am

So, there I was on Comedy Button, talking to Davin Loh (dude from Geekbox, that we always fought together) about a serious conversation with, Brian Altano a few weeks ago cleared a ban I had on Comedy Button's facebook... and this guy, as is seen in these screenshots thinks its good to report me... for WHATEVER reason, there is NO context for him to do it, I thought we were having a normal conversation about marriage? And I was in the middle of replying to a fellow Aussie about chances he could come to my city since he's a model, and I know people over here. There is NO idea why I'm banned for this. I'm posting this here cos last time Brian Altano fixed it for me, but I did message you Ryan :/

Image
Image

And yeah, that's me and Davin Loh having a civil conversation! Which we never did here before! So why the ban?
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy
User avatar
 
Posts: 3753
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:01pm
Location: Australia

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby kenzo » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 8:15am

Woah dang, a whole folder for torrents? He banned you because you're a filthy pirate!
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 8:20am

That guy that is banning/trying to ban you seems funny with how confused he seems about how you got unbanned. Also seems like a total dick.
CrossXhunteR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 2:09pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 10:13am

KG you where banned because a week ago you posted a comment with a link to a graphic video. Thankfully I deleted that comment before more people could see it. If you said something stupid you would have gotten a warning but stuff that violates the regular Facebook terms & services leads straight to a ban. You may honestly not remember posting that video but you did and we have better things to do than form a conspiracy around a random dude.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

I don't know how you got back in but knowing Brian who lets everyone he sees join the group even if they're spambots he was being nice without knowing the full story. Bans are permanent because there's no good way to put people on probabtion on Facebook groups. I don't think you're a bad guy for this, I'm still friends with someone who got banned for posting a gory pic to the group two years ago, but those are the rules and they have to be enforced. Ther's no point in being petty about it, just move on.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby kenzo » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 11:40am

Haha! I expected there had to be a reason, and whatdda ya know. But really though DudeL, don't you think lifetime ban is a little over the top for first-time infraction? You say it's against Facebook TOS, and yet Facebook won't ban you for something like this... so why should you?
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 12:00pm

Was it an outgoing link with an age-gated video on the other end?
Also, is that how facebook displays messaging between two people, or were you guys texting each other?
CrossXhunteR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 2:09pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 1:20pm

Porn and graphic videos aren't allowed on Facebook so in the Comedy Button group links to those aren't tolerated even if there's an age gate. The permanent bans are a severe rule but they're necessary with the limitations of Facebook. Even if we soft ban someone and the community mods keep an eye out for that person every time new people request to join the group there's the chance one of the Comedy Button hosts will just go ahead and add them because they're too busy to remember everyone that was in the group that might have caused trouble. I wish Facebook allowed the ability to put people on probation where they can't request to join for a certain period of time similar to places like the Something Awful forums but we have to work with what we got. And it seems to work because we haven't gotten any big trouble makers in a long time since we've enforced this harder, with the community only growing since.

I just want to prevent any petty resentment. There's a dude who still messages one of the mods about what a piece a shit he is for banning him back around the beginning of the show. People like that are just sad.

Cross these were taken from the mobile Facebook app and one of them isn't from my phone.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 1:22pm

But was it on facebook, or was it an outgoing link?
CrossXhunteR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 2:09pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby LiQuid » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 1:34pm

Regardless of what "facebooks rules?!!??!!!!111 OMGZ! :o " are, the mods are still being draconian pricks. It's not like it's some habitual offender trying to ruin the group with gore spam. It was one dude who is a regular contributer in the community that got drunk and posted a distasteful video one time and now mods are being dickfaces. The fact that this Raul idiot made a big spectacle and a "neener neener" out of calling KG out in public about his ban and re-ban means the people in charge are power hungry fuckwits and shouldn't be allowed to run the group.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 1:35pm

It was outgoing. Still, no one should have to see stuff like that even if they're curious. The Comedy Button group is not Rotten.com
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 1:36pm

LiQuid wrote:Regardless of what "facebooks rules?!!??!!!!111 OMGZ! :o " are, the mods are still being draconian pricks. It's not like it's some habitual offender trying to ruin the group with gore spam. It was one dude who is a regular contributer in the community that got drunk and posted a distasteful video one time and now mods are being dickfaces. The fact that this Raul idiot made a big spectacle and a "neener neener" out of calling KG out in public about his ban and re-ban means the people in charge are power hungry fuckwits and shouldn't be allowed to run the group.


always a charmer LiQuid.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby LiQuid » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 1:39pm

And yes, Cross is right, unless KG hosted the video on Facebook (which would have probably resulted in FB taking actual action against him, rather than just some petty, power hungry nerds banning him from their nerdchat) it's AT BEST a minor infraction that doesn't warrant a permanent ban. How about if the mods actually tell Altano what KG did and ask if he thinks it's worth a permanent ban. I'm sure he will say no. Or ignore you guys because this is fucking stupid. Removing the offending post and sending KG a private message not to do that kinda shit anymore would more than suffice.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby LiQuid » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 1:42pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Regardless of what "facebooks rules?!!??!!!!111 OMGZ! :o " are, the mods are still being draconian pricks. It's not like it's some habitual offender trying to ruin the group with gore spam. It was one dude who is a regular contributer in the community that got drunk and posted a distasteful video one time and now mods are being dickfaces. The fact that this Raul idiot made a big spectacle and a "neener neener" out of calling KG out in public about his ban and re-ban means the people in charge are power hungry fuckwits and shouldn't be allowed to run the group.


always a charmer LiQuid.

Hey fuck you. I'm giving a rational, objective and neutral opinion on this. You think I give two shits either way what happens on a facebook group I don't participate in? I'm saying Facebook's rules don't state that someone should be permanently banned from a private group for posting a distasteful link, or KG's account would have been locked by now. This decision was solely by the group moderation and it was a permanent and harsh solution to a temporary problem.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 2:15pm

Don't adult video websites have Facebook share links? I assume these are just links to the video, behind an age gated page. Would he get banned for "sharing" one of these links to the group, something I also assume is within Facebook's ToS?
CrossXhunteR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 2:09pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby dakazu » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 2:21pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:The Comedy Button group is not Rotten.com


Way to hold yourselves in such high regards. :lol:

I'm sure there are a fuckton of idiot prepubescent teens who are comedy button fans so I get the need to have rules to keep them in check. The only thing is that KG is an older fan from way back in the day and you're giving him a reason to stop being part of the community over something that seems dumb.(He'll probably go off fucking women at home and men over at work)

You say yourself that the system isn't good. Sounds like it's time to revise it.
dakazu
User avatar
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009 @ 1:00pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby LiQuid » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 2:25pm

He's saying that the system isn't good but that there's literally no reason why they can't just do it differently. My hands are tied guys, I have to hang you for stealing this loaf of bread.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby dakazu » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 2:28pm

Fuck that LiQuid! You're getting perma-muted in mumble for playing DOTA in the main channel!!
dakazu
User avatar
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009 @ 1:00pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby LiQuid » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 2:29pm

I guess it's about time someone criminalized playing Dota.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby SynysterBear » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 4:33pm

dakazu wrote:Fuck that LiQuid! You're getting perma-muted in mumble for playing DOTA in the main channel!!



Image

don't play with my emotions Doc.
Kenzo is a tumblrina.

http://i.imgur.com/Hc86Cdi.jpg
SynysterBear
User avatar
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Jan 29th, 2013 @ 2:40pm
Location: Roscommon

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby darfox8 » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 4:34pm

If Dota is outlawed only outlaws would play Dota.

Yeah this seems excessive. If there really are rules that all the facebook groups have to follow to not get shut down, then I understand. But I have to imagine that facebook gives these groups certain amount of autonomy to do their own policing.

As far as enforcing the rules so you don't encourage shitty behavior... that's a slippery slope man. You might be cutting out a lot of people who would elevate you community, after one offense that they might never do again. If it's up to you guys I would recommend a two or three strike system.

It's entirely possible that KG would just get drunk again and post even more vile shit in the future but he deserves that chance to screw up.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8
User avatar
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 3:23pm
Location: Ocala, Florida

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 5:12pm

KG also denied posting it when he was told why he was banned.
Image

Disturbing animal death is not something that is accepted in the group at all and you should consider that it might get you banned from most places. I don't know exactly how quick the Facebots can recognize stuff like that like how people still get away with racist statuses despite the stuff about hate speech in the TOS. If the mods can recognize something quick enough we'll act on it.

Dakazu I said my problem is with Facebook's mechanics that I can't change. Non-permanent bans allow the person to still request entry and with people requesting to join every hour we just wouldn't be able to keep track of the person for whatever amount of time. And we can't just trust everyone that does something bannable who says they're sorry and will never do it again. If banning is to be a real punishment it has to be permanent because of Facebook's constraints. We have changed the rules over time but we don't make exceptions to what's supposed to be established. If KG was drunk or something he might have a case for himself but his response doesn't help and people have posted drunk stuff that wasn't shit like that.

Brian is not an active mod. While all the hosts are admins they don't actually moderate the group because they''re too busy making the show and doing they're jobs to do that. We learned this in the early days when we had to wait for Scott Bromley to take the time out of his day to delete stuff posted by trolls. That's why the admins chosen from the community are trusted to moderate the group. And five mods for a 7931 member group is pretty generous.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby LiQuid » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 5:24pm

I understand everything you're saying. You're saying that the only tools given to you by the actual software of Facebook is 1. permanent ban, or 2. no punishment, so you have to go with permanent ban in this case where the groups rules were broken. But I'm wondering why since you have someone here who is a known member of the community in otherwise good standing, you aren't able to bend (your own self-imposed) rules and say you know what, maybe this was a one time fuck up and this guy who most of us have known for literally a half a decade now maybe isn't just some random scumbag troll that loves to post goreporn, and let his un-ban from Altano stick rather than firmly sticking by your initial ban-on-sight... You guys are acting like fucking Judge Dredd over this shit and it's baffling to me. The guy is obviously denying that he knew about the video and/or repentant of it being posted, regardless of the circumstance (drunk, someone else on his computer, what-have-you).
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 5:31pm

I'd rather let KG speak for himself on the situation.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby kenzo » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 5:43pm

Nothing you've said explains why you can't issue a warning, and then take more severe actions on a 2nd or 3rd offense. You said facebook doesn't allow soft-bans, and that it's too troublesome to keep track of anyone who causes problems... but like, you've posted a dozen screen caps that is way more active work than just keeping a spreadsheet with a name, date, and offense.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 6:05pm

We can keep track of names. It's just that some of us may be busy or asleep when someone who is soft-banned tries to get back in.

Also it should be known that I didn't know this guy was KG until today. Though it makes sense after seeing his post about the time he did ayahuasca.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 7:43pm

KindGalaxy wrote:I'm posting this here cos last time Brian Altano fixed it for me, but I did message you Ryan :/


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby LiQuid » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 7:55pm

Don't just sit there cackling Higgins. Justice needs you to take action here. You can be like the Batman of the internet and stand up for what's right.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby dakazu » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 8:20pm

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:I'd rather let KG speak for himself on the situation.


Shouldn't it mean more when various members of this community are putting their support in for KG than waiting around for him to grovel at your feet? :roll:

Whatever. Ultimately, you're free to run your little group however you seek fit. Just be aware of how your actions and policies make you guys seem like unforgiving Nazis. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dakazu
User avatar
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009 @ 1:00pm

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 8:30pm

LiQuid wrote:Don't just sit there cackling Higgins. Justice needs you to take action here. You can be like the Batman of the internet and stand up for what's right.


I don't have anything to do with the CB stuff, I just laugh about trying to get Ryan to reply to something. :lol: :lol: :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby KindGalaxy » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 8:46pm

I know Higgins I know :)

1. Shouldn't matter who I am, nor mentioning that Ayahuasca piece on the Comedy Button page which actually led to a very long, drawn out and interesting conversation by many people. Same as the thread I was conversing in above in the initial post with people who've gone through loss in relationships, to have someone pounce around waving their hands going 'hold hold, this guy... this guy... I don't know how you got back in but now I'm kicking you back out' was entirely uncalled for, entirely uncalled for.

2. I honestly do not believe I posted any such video. I don't get stupid drunk like before, when I did that kind of stuff was a couple of years ago, and I stopped around the time I stopped playing TF2. I'm not a kid anymore that can treat his body like rubbish for amusement of others. If I was a drunken idiot I'd be posting nude pics across dozens of threads or saying offensive things, and honestly again; I don't remember actually posting any such video sorry.

3. That Turtle thread I do know, the fact it's called 'TMNT 9/11' thread, relating to a rather obscene poster advertising TMNT coming out in itself was pretty bad.

To have that guy come in and just abruptly stop not just that conversation, but also another where I was offering someone a chance to do some modeling work (the guy that had the sword and gun, he's in Australia also and I do have contacts in that industry), was really not the right way to go about things. It begs the question that if I did not have a means with which to protest my getting banned, and to be fair Ryan Scott did tell me to email him details on this (the original one), or to contact Brian Altano and if you do keep names down for the aforementioned community then a better system would be to still ban, but send a message to whom you ban explaining why they were banned or getting them to explain themselves instead of silently killing them. I manage the Geekbox steam community since 2009, and have dealt with pricks on there before, I know how it works and I also can't imagine the amount of banning would be a whole lot on the Comedy Button page, especially these days when the community is well established.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy
User avatar
 
Posts: 3753
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:01pm
Location: Australia

Next
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron