Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: Comedy Button Ban - Attn: Ryan Scott

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 9:08pm

In my experience as an admin/mod of various internet things over the years it's never a good idea to just start banning people for minor issues like this. It can sour an entire community and drive people away. You give warnings and if the problem continues you ban. Banning always should be a last resort.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby KindGalaxy » Aug 14th, 2014 @ 9:12pm

And I was actually back and active for over a week, it took this long to notice, and I didn't bother to make any such 'hey look I'm back' big-headedness. I just went back to regular posting on there, unlike whoever was taunting me before in the middle of talking to other people, that showed real immaturity on their part.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 3:21am

I understand that the hosts, who are the admins of the group, decided to institute some moderators to watch over the group as it would be too hard for them to do. This does not mean they relinquished their powers to the mods, but instead gave the mods some additional powers. Should the admins power/say not always trump a moderator, like every other community?
CrossXhunteR

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 3:57am

I believe that you honestly don't remember posting that video but the fact is that you or someone with access to your account did. It was a mistake that none of us told you why you where banned before but you where informed of the circumstances this week so it did not happen for no reason. I am going to reprimand Raul because it is rude to interrupt that thread and humiliate you like that, he should have just private messaged you.

Ex we've been operating like this for a while. We got a lot of regulars and get plenty of new members who stick around and become regulars. There's been no big incidents with trolls or annoying members since a year ago when there was only one mod. Gore or links to gore is something that there's zero tolerance for. We do give warnings for minor stuff like being too much of dick for a moment or going against rules that they may not know. One rule we have is that we don't allow pictures of people's guns because there was once this obnoxious guy who post pictures of his guns everyday and he said it was his right and that led to annoying discussions about crap like that. So if someone posts a picture of their guns we delete the picture and message them why that isn't allowed and they understand after that. The one time that was a problem was with someone who didn't allow messages from non-friends so I had to tell him via the comments and it was much less efficient than it should have been. We probably should message people why they where banned if we can get over the stigma of possibly talking to the kind of people we've banned in the past. No one wants to message the guy who posted pictures of dongs.

Also KG it's not fair that you subverted the mods and went to the hosts to get back in. Cross we have as much admin power as the hosts. They do have seniority over us because it's the community for their show but Brian did not communicate with us when he let KG back. If any of the past trouble makers went to him like that hoping he'd have forgotten by now there would be bigger problems.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby LiQuid » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 4:01am

I haven't seen this video, but what exactly constitutes gore? Animals eating other animals is shit that happens in nature.

Also KG it's not fair that you subverted the mods and went to the hosts to get back in. Cross we have as much admin power as the hosts. They do have seniority over us because it's the community for their show but Brian did not communicate with us when he let KG back. If any of the past trouble makers went to him like that hoping he'd have forgotten by now there would be bigger problems.

Jesus fucking christ dude, eat a fucking dick. You're inflated sense of self worth is incredible.

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 4:07am

Hahaha. Man, I can't get over it. KG, it's NOT FAIR! You went over the heads of some power hungry nerds to the people that facilitate their entire existence in order to undermine their ridiculous ruling on a nonissue!
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 4:53am

The power of an admin is absolute, the power of a mod is not. That is why admins can elect mods, not the other way around. You may share responsibilities, but you should not be as empowered as them.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 4:58am

Someone giving a snapping turtle live mice so it can rip them apart and drown them, while it's set to music to make it look cool.

Cross on Facebook anyone with the ability to add and ban people from a group is an admin. Only the first mod from the community was chosen by the hosts, the others where picked by the preceding mods.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 5:00am

So what if other mods wanted to let KG back in/not ban him in the first place? Would that get vetoed because others wanted him banned?
CrossXhunteR

Postby kevinep3 » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 5:02am

why wouldnt you just make a stickied post for the group that had a list of rules and consequences. At least that way it would have some seeming structure to what your doing. Did KG or someone on his comp post something bad to the group? sure but that doesnt mean perma ban especially when is seems he wasnt even aware it happened. Just let him back in, if something like that happens again sure perma ban but KG is OG and should at least be treated like a fucking human being and not some internet troll. Plus as mentioned before i would think all of our support for the guy would kind of tell you he is a pretty good guy.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 5:07am

kevinep3 wrote:why wouldnt you just make a stickied post for the group that had a list of rules and consequences. At least that way it would have some seeming structure to what your doing. Did KG or someone on his comp post something bad to the group? sure but that doesnt mean perma ban especially when is seems he wasnt even aware it happened. Just let him back in, if something like that happens again sure perma ban but KG is OG and should at least be treated like a fucking human being and not some internet troll. Plus as mentioned before i would think all of our support for the guy would kind of tell you he is a pretty good guy.

I don't think that is true. Have you seen us before? We are terrible people.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 5:29am

Well it's the five admins who let KG be banned against the one who let him back in without those five knowing.

Kevin it's been an internal debate whether we should put rules in a stickied post, the banner pic, or the group description. The stickied post is reserved for the latest episode of the Comedy Button or other stuff from the hosts. The banner used to have our older rules but the hosted wanted it to have a picture related to the show. The description might work but you have to click on that to see 100% of it so it doesn't guarantee someone will see the group rules there. I've wanted to have written rules for people to see but other admins think things should be handled on a case by case basis and that written rules would be too specific.
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 5:50am

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:Well it's the five admins who let KG be banned against the one who let him back in without those five knowing.

Kevin it's been an internal debate whether we should put rules in a stickied post, the banner pic, or the group description. The stickied post is reserved for the latest episode of the Comedy Button or other stuff from the hosts. The banner used to have our older rules but the hosted wanted it to have a picture related to the show. The description might work but you have to click on that to see 100% of it so it doesn't guarantee someone will see the group rules there. I've wanted to have written rules for people to see but other admins think things should be handled on a case by case basis and that written rules would be too specific.

You should talk to them about this. Rules have to be specified, otherwise they aren't rules. How are you going to punish somebody for doing nothing wrong, since there is nothing to specify what is wrong to do?
CrossXhunteR

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 7:06am

If I was an admin that unbanned someone and then a mod pulled something like what happened to KG and re banned him for no reason, that mod would no longer be a mod.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 7:23am

eX for president.
CrossXhunteR

Postby totoro » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 9:19am

CrossXhunteR wrote:eX for president.

eX's flat tax proposal proves that god doesn't exist.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby kenzo » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 10:20am

DudeL, you keep throwing around the words "Zero Tolerance" as a rationale for your heavy-handed measures, but I don't think you realize what "Zero Tolerance" means. Zero Tolerance doesn't equal implementing the metaphorical death penalty on the first infraction. It simply means that something is not allowed and that a punishment will always be issued. The point of Zero Tolerance policies is that there's no wiggle room for discretion, when it comes to whether or not to mete out a punishment, and has nothing to do with deciding the severity of a punishment. For example, schools have Zero Tolerance policies for things like fighting or drug possession. But both of those things typically don't equate to an automatic expulsion, but rather mandatory counseling and suspensions.

Nothing you've said so far actually justified the actions you've taken. I don't understand the insistence on maintaining such a belligerent stance when you guys appear to be in the wrong in terms of your judgment. You're acting like if you let this infraction slide, you're opening pandora's box, when you yourself admit that your community is pretty level headed and tame. This is some George W. Bush faulty logic where if you admit some kind of wrong on your part, the terrorists win. And again, stern warnings with promise of escalation if things continue is not a failure to mete out punishment. That's a reasonable and prudent punishment, especially if a person has no prior history of infractions.
kenzo

Postby totoro » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 10:42am

Let Facebook enforce their own terms and conditions. They can have any type of policy about that they want. Are there defined rules in place for the Comedy Button group specifically that were violated? If not then 'zero tolerance' doesn't really apply here. Ban/suspend for violating rules/laws. There shouldn't necessarily be a ban for "poor taste" unless it violates predetermined rules. This sounds like a case of someone making up the rules as they go and then getting called out for it (and has since started grasping at the straws to justify the actions).
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby darfox8 » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 12:54pm

I think dudel is trying to do the right thang hurr I really do. But as most people pointed out it's very strange to perma-ban on sight for first infractions. If it's up to the cabal of mods and not up to facebook, I'd recommend you guys bring him back.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 1:01pm

Would be nice to hear from any of these other alleged "mods" because dudel has already proven himself a bitch.
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 1:10pm

You have Raul in those screen caps. That's not Dudel
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Aug 15th, 2014 @ 1:29pm

I have dudel in this thread...
LiQuid

Postby KindGalaxy » Aug 16th, 2014 @ 2:12am

It's not the first time I've talked with Brian over messages, he knows I'm a chef by profession and a few times we've talked about it. Also it's free to communicate with anyone and it's free for them to ignore/say fuck off/reply and have a conversation with.

So, long story short, you're not going to put me back in there to actually have conversations with people? That's about it? Just be clear cut here cos then I can be clear cut too.
KindGalaxy

Postby kevinep3 » Sep 3rd, 2014 @ 4:31pm

so did anything ever happen with this? I'm really curious what happened.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 4th, 2014 @ 4:51pm

I made another FB account to use in Firefox (I use Chrome for everything else), so I post on the Comedy Button still on FB every day.

I kicked/banned the mods of Comedy Button on FB from the Steam Community.

It's also easier to get a new FB account, it's not that easy to go buy all your games again on Steam.

It was also a point proven, and I still get to do what I want/like and contribute to people that actually have real issues, and I also became friendly with Davin Loh after many years of him and me screaming at eachother on here (ironically to the point where he himself got banned from Geekbox forum), and also helped a guy get work in Australia.
KindGalaxy

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 4th, 2014 @ 4:56pm

Did he actually get banned from the forums? Was it because he was a sociopath with grudges up the wazoo?
CrossXhunteR

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 4th, 2014 @ 5:04pm

Well Davin wanted to read this thread but apparently he can't...

I don't know, but he posts alot of cool food places in Chicago on his FB so I'm entertained with that, gave me some ideas for my workplace.

It's not like we don't have other guys here that have grudges up the wazoo... kenzo, darfox, liquid... kindgalaxy.

Though I still wish I knew the post that got him banned, I remember it was about me, about my ex-gf, and her ethnicity but that's about it (cos Scott and/or Chu deleted it)
KindGalaxy

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 4th, 2014 @ 5:07pm

1.) Don't reference Ryan Scott as just Scott. It is weird.
2.) That whole thing about your ex far blows any of our petty maybe-month-long grudges out of the water. That was like years old shit at that point that he brought up to attack you.
3.) I don't understand how being banned could keep him from seeing this thread. Can he just not log in and see it, or is he IP banned or something?
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Sep 4th, 2014 @ 5:17pm

Jinpei was a habitual offender and mega asshole. I don't think there was one single post that tipped his ban but he was at the point where both Ryans were trying to make him stop being insufferable and were unsuccessful. Never seen anybody in my entire history of the internet be so adept at elevating benign trolling to the point where it was personal.
LiQuid

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 4th, 2014 @ 5:19pm

Okay.

1. But it's okay to call Karen Chu just as Chu? #gamergate #notyourshield
2. I don't even know which gf he was talking about anymore.. haha
3. No idea, I'm not incharge of this place

It's not a big big thing to this conversation any way, Davin and me are alright, as long as we don't go talking about other stuff... and way hey he's even commenting on photos with my current girlfriend so... yeah... I never held anything against him, ever, and I was asleep when all the shit did hit the fan and it was everyone else, and Scott (ahhhh I did it again!) and Chu really took offense, so that's that.
KindGalaxy

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics