jozero wrote:Quite enjoy the podcast. Great work !
Can there be an episode on "geek" based manga ? Cliche I know but I can't really find any good ones.
So manga / anime centered around :
- otaku (I am aware of Genshiken)
- Dungeon and Dragons or equivalent paper based RPG
- hacking or more computer centred. Not "we've entered the matrix", but characters are into computers
- Online MMOs (am familiar with Sword Art - but would prefer majority of book to in real life)
- retro console video games or modern video games. Again, about fans of the games, not the game becomes real
- other hobbies like figurines, gundam model building (not "real life" gundam setting), other models, etc.
Thanks for the feedback! I know of a few manga based on fandom but most of them aren't translated so I'll have to dig around but hopefully we can find something.
Thanks for discussing the topic on episode 97 ! I wrote down every suggestion and I'll check them out for sure.
I can make other suggestions as well. If you like DnD Knights Of the Dinner Table try Table Titans web comic.
Up To Four Players is a webcomic about board games. I was in Japan last year and I found a Manga that I think is about DnD but I can't tell since I can't read Japanese
I also found a Manga about Tamiya Mini 4wd cars. Again I can't read it but it look good. I also picked up the classics like the Train Station manga. Perhaps I'll attach the covers here.
Given the fascination over Japanese geek life (which is well deserved, that place blew my mind) I am surprised there isn't more Japanese slice of geek life manga. I won't go fully into the wonder of that place, but imagine a land where even the 7-11s has stacks and stacks of manga. Its ingrained in the culture there, mind blowing when you see it.
By the way, I saw the movie release of Bakuman while I was there. I rather enjoyed it, though the manga is better. Its unlikely it will ever get released beyond Japan, so I'd recommend seeking it out to watch.
Anyone else on the board please recommend other stuff !