Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: Manga Machinations

Postby dakazu » Aug 1st, 2016 @ 11:24pm

Satsugai se yo!!!!

This week we discuss the trailers for the Blame! and Silent Voice movie trailers, dakazu is excited about the re-serialization of High Score Girl, and we have a discussion about various manga that cover geek culture, such as Genshiken, Knights of the Dinner Table and Record of Lodoss War! Then we check out 3 new manga for another edition of Triple Dip! This time we look at Shamo, Detroit Metal City, and Dungeon Meshi!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Aug 8th, 2016 @ 3:08am

New episode is up!

Welcome to another solo-cast with dakazu! He’ll be talking about the other Weekly Shonen magazines and the manga series he reads in them, including Shonen Magazine, Shonen Sunday, and Shonen Champion!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Aug 8th, 2016 @ 6:30am

Look forward to one final Bleach rant
kenzo

Postby jozero » Aug 12th, 2016 @ 1:21pm

dakazu wrote:
jozero wrote:Quite enjoy the podcast. Great work !

Can there be an episode on "geek" based manga ? Cliche I know but I can't really find any good ones.

So manga / anime centered around :
- otaku (I am aware of Genshiken)
- Dungeon and Dragons or equivalent paper based RPG
- hacking or more computer centred. Not "we've entered the matrix", but characters are into computers
- Online MMOs (am familiar with Sword Art - but would prefer majority of book to in real life)
- retro console video games or modern video games. Again, about fans of the games, not the game becomes real
- other hobbies like figurines, gundam model building (not "real life" gundam setting), other models, etc.

Thanks !

Thanks for the feedback! I know of a few manga based on fandom but most of them aren't translated so I'll have to dig around but hopefully we can find something.

Thanks for discussing the topic on episode 97 ! I wrote down every suggestion and I'll check them out for sure.

I can make other suggestions as well. If you like DnD Knights Of the Dinner Table try Table Titans web comic.
Up To Four Players is a webcomic about board games. I was in Japan last year and I found a Manga that I think is about DnD but I can't tell since I can't read Japanese :( I also found a Manga about Tamiya Mini 4wd cars. Again I can't read it but it look good. I also picked up the classics like the Train Station manga. Perhaps I'll attach the covers here.

Given the fascination over Japanese geek life (which is well deserved, that place blew my mind) I am surprised there isn't more Japanese slice of geek life manga. I won't go fully into the wonder of that place, but imagine a land where even the 7-11s has stacks and stacks of manga. Its ingrained in the culture there, mind blowing when you see it.

Again, thanks.

By the way, I saw the movie release of Bakuman while I was there. I rather enjoyed it, though the manga is better. Its unlikely it will ever get released beyond Japan, so I'd recommend seeking it out to watch.

Anyone else on the board please recommend other stuff !
jozero

Postby dakazu » Aug 14th, 2016 @ 5:37pm

Spring will come...

On this episode Seamus explains the relevance of certain characters related to Norse Mythology in "Vinland Saga", dakazu loves the "Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji" comedy spin-off about evil organization middle management in "Chuukan Kanriroku Tonegawa", and we catch up on another chapter of "Billy Bat"! Then for our One Shot retrospective, we look at Oshikira Rensuke's tragic tale of murderous middle schoolers in "Misu Misou"!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
Last edited by dakazu on Aug 22nd, 2016 @ 1:11am, edited 2 times in total.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Aug 22nd, 2016 @ 1:10am

Special episode with Ryan Higgins!!!

Welcome to our 100th episode and 2 year anniversary!!! We’re joined by special guest Ryan Higgins from the Comic Conspiracy podcast to talk about the history of manga published in America, our secret origins for manga, the end of Bleach, Gundam anime, and Hayao Miyazaki’s take on Lupin the Third in The Castle of Cagliostro!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Aug 29th, 2016 @ 1:36am

STRIKE!

On this episode we reveal our plans for next week, Seamus drops Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu but picks up Houkago Edge, dakazu talks about Nana to Kaoru and Suicide Island ending, we examine the Orange anime and live action adaptations of Yowamushi Pedal and Bleach, and darfox8 gets into the popularity of variety shows in Japan! In our Side by Side segment we compare 2 very different Baseball mangas, Ace of Diamond and H2, but Seamus may be sick of all these sports manga!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Sep 5th, 2016 @ 3:39pm

"A Bat doesn't go flying around for nothing, you know?"

This week we start off by thanking a listener, we examine characteristics of ONE's protagonists from One Punch Man & Mob Psycho 100, and Seamus breaks down the levity of lighter chapters in Golden Kamui! Then we go over the final chapters of Billy Bat before breaking down the series, solving all the mysteries, and giving our overall thoughts on the series as a whole!!!(covers chapters 163-165)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Sep 11th, 2016 @ 10:43pm

You ruined everything...

103 - Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi) part 1

In this episode Seamus looks at another Shigeru Mizuki work Nonnonba and dakazu is satisfied with the conclusion of Suicide Island. Then we jump into our newest retrospective, Silent Voice! We explain the significance of the Japanese title, praise the detailed artwork, and examine the great cast of characters and the realism behind their relationships and motivations!!!(covers chapters 1-23)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Sep 19th, 2016 @ 12:44am

It's all my fault...

104 - Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi) part 2

On this episode we debate the value of sequel manga akin to Boruto, dakazu takes a look at Oshikira Rensuke’s generic horror manga Sayuri, we discuss the 40th anniversary/finale of Shonen Jump’s longest running series Kochikame, and talk about the new anime seasons of Eccentric Family and Yowamushi Pedal! Afterwords, we continue with our Silent Voice retrospective! We delve into some new characters and the continuing drama of this touching series!!!(covers chapters 24-42)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Sep 28th, 2016 @ 12:01am

I'm sorry...

105 - Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi) part 3

This week darfox kicks things off by taking a look at Mizuki Shigeru’s most famous series Gegege no Kitarou, we discuss the lack of mainstream American non-fiction comics, and dakazu considers checking out a “manga” exhibition at the local art museum. Then we conclude our Silent Voice retrospective by covering the final chapters and sharing our final thoughts on this phenomenal series!!!(covers chapters 43-62)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Oct 3rd, 2016 @ 2:09am

Welcome to the Special Transfer Corps!

106 - Triple Dip 17 - Wombs, Yu Yu Hakusho, Historie

On this episode Darfox rates Mob Psycho 100 higher than One Punch Man while dakazu finishes My Love Story and Boku wa Mari no Naka while checking out a remake of Saito Takao’s Survival and a manga adaptation of The Garden of Words that we covered on Manga in Motion 4(episode 64). Then we check out the starting chapters of Yu Yu Hakusho, Historie and Wombs for our Triple Dip section!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Oct 10th, 2016 @ 4:43pm

I'm going to go on living here, in this little town on a big river.

107 - Anime Interlude 4 - March Comes in like a Lion

This week we’re joined by listener Miki’s Stopwatch! He talks about his origins in anime and manga and then helps us dive into a huge discussion of recent anime we’ve all been watching. We’ll discuss Orange, The Rose of Versailles, Patlabor, Gakuen Handsome, Keijo, Drifters, March Comes in like a Lion, Yuri!!! on Ice, Mob Psycho 100, and much, much more!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Oct 18th, 2016 @ 11:35pm

I'M SUGIMOTO THE IMMORTAL!!!!

108 - Triple Dip Redux 1 - Golden Kamui

Seamus is absent this week but we use this opportunity to get darfox caught up on some manga he missed while he was out! We revisit Golden Kamui, Vinland Saga, and My Younger Brother’s Husband to get darfox’s thoughts on these series! Also dakazu reads a cute series documenting a mangaka’s husband becoming a ramen chef in Danna ga Kyou Kara Ramenya, but isn’t sure how to feel about the fashion manga Do it this way if you wear the clothes! We also discuss the newly translated My Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Oct 24th, 2016 @ 8:43pm

Sweet JP

109 - Manga in Motion 10 - Redline

This week Seamus is back from his Chicago vacation, dakazu gushes over the current the current series by Wandering Son mangaka I’m a Runaway Girl for interweaving various character relationships, and we continue our thoughts of the March Comes in like a Lion and Yuri!!! on Ice anime! Then we jump into another Manga in Motion pick with Redline! We try to dissect this chaotic mess of a movie and breakdown all the references to other anime it crams into it’s 102 minute running time!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Oct 31st, 2016 @ 5:10pm

Summer is ending...

One Shot 3 - Kamisama ga Uso wo Tsuku(The Gods Lie)

This week Seamus check’s out Satoshi Kon’s manga Tropic of The Sea, darfox catches up on Yuri!!! on Ice and March comes in like a Lion, and dakazu shares the Seinfield-esque tales of Utsu Gohan and praises the non-linear storytelling in the fantasy action series Ryuuma no Gagou! We then discuss Seamus’s recommendation Kamisama ga Uso wo Tsuku for our short series retrospective section, One Shot!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Nov 14th, 2016 @ 1:08am

SO CUTE!!!

112 - Manga in Motion 11 - Unico

Special guest Dawn “Usamimi” from the Anime Nostalgia Podcast joins us this week! She tells us about how she got started in anime/manga fandom and we check out one of her favorite childhood anime movies The Fantastic Adventures of Unico for Manga in Motion! We also discuss Silent Voice mangaka Yoshitoki Oima’s new series For You, The Immortal, dakazu likes a new Josei transgender clothing series Boy Skirt and the comedic intricacies of a real life husband in Shougi no Watanabe-kun!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Nov 21st, 2016 @ 12:01am

A tale about Life and the Cosmos!

114 - Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix part 2

This week dakazu loves tales of bizarre foods in Kiritani-san cho, sore Kuunsuka!?, darfox gets to read the Dune-like Imuri, Seamus is working to catch up on 3-gatsu no Lion, we discuss Takashi Miike manga to movie adaptation like Blade of the Immortal, and rant about Terra Formars. Then, things get serious during our retrospective of Phoenix as we share some personal feelings about the subject matter of death.(covers volume 2-Future)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Dec 4th, 2016 @ 11:32pm

The Bird of Life and Death!

115 - Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix part 3

On this episode dakazu talks about one of the earliest video game manga with everything from Satan to Swastikas, Game Center Arashi! He also loves the new bleak and violent post-apocalyptic revenge tale of a man on fire(literally), Fire Punch! Then we jump into another volume of Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix and talk about one of our favorite tales of the immortal bird!!!(covers volume 3-Yamato/Space)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Dec 12th, 2016 @ 2:14am

Time for some Seinen manga!

116 - dakazu diversions 3

Seamus and darfox are out again so it’s up to dakazu to tell you all about more manga he’s reading! This week, he’ll be running down manga from Kodansha’s Seinen magazines: Morning, Afternoon, Evening, and Young Magazine!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Dec 19th, 2016 @ 12:34am

Save OZ!

117 - Manga in Motion 12 - Summer Wars

This week dakazu checks out the sequel series to Sanzoku Diary called Sanzoku Diary SS, apprehensively checks out a collection of relationships stories by Usagi Drop mangaka Yumi Unita, Toridori Renka, and Seamus likes Yuri!!! on Ice a lot! Then we discuss Mamoru Hosoda’s 2009 anime movie Summer Wars!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Dec 26th, 2016 @ 5:31am

Time to review our favorites!!!

118 - 2016 Year End Review

Happy Holidays! This week dakazu checks out another female relationship compilation called mon*mon and he kinda digs the mashup of famous historical figures with generic battles in Reincarnation no Kaben! Then we list off the top manga and anime that we enjoyed(and hated) since our last review and recap our favorites from this past year!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jan 3rd, 2017 @ 12:18am

3 more manga for another Triple Dip!

119 - Triple Dip 19 - Reincarnation no Kaben, Fire Punch, Angel Densetsu

Happy 2017! We celebrate the new year with an extensive discussion about Yuri!!! on Ice to try and break down what the show represent within themes of LGBT. Then dakazu introduces a manga about the actor who brought Zatoichi to life in Japan, Katsushin: Samishi Gariya no Tensai. Finally, we check out 3 new manga for our Triple Dip section: Angel Densetsu, Reincarnation no Kaben, and Fire Punch!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jan 9th, 2017 @ 1:21am

Back to Phoenix!

120 - Tezuka Osamu's Phoenix part 4

On this episode Seamus finally finishes Revolutionary Girl Utena and Mob Psycho 100, darfox starts Showa: A History of Japan, and dakazu watches Yuri!!! on Ice with his wife while checking out Candy Samurai Wars and Becchin to Mandara! Then we finally get back to our retrospective review of Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix by discussing his most critically acclaimed volume!!!(covers volume 4-Karma)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jan 16th, 2017 @ 1:38pm

We check out a very 'Memento' like story this week!

121 - Tezuka Osamu's Phoenix part 5

On this episode dakazu checks out real life taxi driver confessions in Yoake no Taxi Driver, darfox is upset with Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation changing his favorite girl, we discuss Amazon Prime’s new exclusive anime channel, and talk about Junji Ito’s influence in the West with a new horror game called World of Horror! Then we dive into more Phoenix with some interesting nonlinear narrative!!!(covers volume 5-Resurrection)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jan 23rd, 2017 @ 2:06am

A epic SF adventure!

122 - Tezuka Osamu's Phoenix part 6

This week Seamus notices the occasional food chapter in Golden Kamui and March Comes in like a Lion while dakazu finally understands to origins of 3 Yakuza minions who are transformed into Teen Idols in Back Street Girls! Then it’s time to continue our Phoenix retrospective where we discuss everything from edited versions to our thoughts on Tezuka Osamu as a mangaka!!!(covers volume 6-Nostalgia)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jan 30th, 2017 @ 3:16am

Bring on all the Edge-Lordy manga!!!

123 - Triple Dip 20 - Welcome to the Ballroom, Freesia, Front Mission Dog Life & Dog Style

On this episode Seamus explores dreamlike stories in A Single Match, darfox uncovers Social Justice themes in ole Green Lantern/Green Arrow comics, dakazu confesses he’s watching Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid and enjoying the tale of a magic cat in E no Shima Waikiki Shokudou, and we discuss Hideaki Anno teaching animation to kids! Then we get into a darker Triple Dip by checking out the beginning of Freesia, Front Mission Dog Life & Dog Style, and Welcome to the Ballroom!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Feb 3rd, 2017 @ 7:41am

dakazu wrote:dakazu confesses he’s watching Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid
:lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Feb 6th, 2017 @ 12:53am

More Mamoru Hosoda anime!

124 - Manga in Motion 13 - The Boy and the Beast

After we explain the American Football, this week darfox and Seamus catch up on new chapters of High Score Girl and Oyomegatari! Also, dakazu loves the Zootopia like setting of Beastars and is touched by the story of a boy who loves people in Machida-kun no Sekai! Then we jump into another anime movie review with The Boy and the Beast! We share out thoughts and compare it to director Mamoru Hosoda’s other works!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Feb 13th, 2017 @ 12:43pm

125 - Saikyo Selections 4 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

On this episode darfox finally gets some feedback from a translator, Seamus orders the Indie manga magazine AX Volume 1, dakazu checks out the popular rugby manga/anime All-Out!!, we look at the rivalry between Asano Inio and Oshimi Suzo, and dakazu shares the awesome blog Brain Vs. Book! Then dakazu introduces a bunch of manga he’s been reading recently: COPPERS, Hibi Rock, and Fuichin Tsaichen!!! Finally, we examine another popular series, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, for Saikyo Selections! Be prepared for an almost chaotic discussion of both the first handful of chapters for part 7 Steel Ball Run(covers chapters 1-12) and everything that makes JoJo popular!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics