Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: Manga Machinations

Postby dakazu » Feb 20th, 2017 @ 1:35am

126 - Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix part 7

This week we explain Valentine’s Day customs in Japan, Seamus watches more March Comes in like a Lion anime, darfox finishes Nana to Kaoru but wasn’t sure what to expect of the new Shonen Jump series We Can’t Study!, and dakazu checks out Spider-Man: The Manga! Then, we return to our retrospective of Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix by jumping into the Genpei War era of Japan!!!(covers volume 7-Civil War part 1)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Feb 27th, 2017 @ 1:04am

127 - Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix part 8

On this episode Seamus enjoys the relationship of a lesbian couple in Collectors, dakazu is creeped out by the incestuous undertones of Oshimi Shuzo’s new title Chi no Wadachi, the manga of Dragon Ball Super reveals interesting things about Goku and Chi-Chi’s relationship, developments in Boruto are super cliche, and darfox finds out Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-Bu isn’t just a female version of Yowamushi Pedal! Finally, we finish off the Civil War story line in Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix and share our thoughts!!!(covers volume 8-Civil War part 2)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Mar 6th, 2017 @ 8:21pm

128 - Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix part 9

On this episode we read an email about using curse words in translations, Seamus is confused about what’s going on in For You, the Immortal, darfox ponders the fates of the new Shonen Jump manga Dr. STONE and Hungry Marie, dakazu discovers the prequel to Astro Boy Atom:The Beginning, and he loves the relatable quirks of eating food in When Do You Break the Yolk of an Egg Fried Sunny-Side Up?! We end by discussing the next volume of Phoenix for our continuing retrospective!!!(covers volume 9-Strange Beings/Life)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Mar 13th, 2017 @ 1:55am

129 - Saikyo Selections 5 - Patlabor

This week Seamus is looking into the history of post-World War 2 Japan with Mizuki Shigeru’s Showa and Yoshihiro Tatsumi’s Abandon the Old in Tokyo and Good-Bye, we discuss the representations of racial stereotypes in Japanese culture, darfox is enjoys the use of back lighting in Chi no Wadachi, and dakazu ponders if Asani Inio’s new series Reiraku, about a depressed manga-author, is autobiographical! Then our deliberations over the upcoming stage-version of Inuyasha and adaptations of manga into other media leads us to our main topic of Patlabor! We explain it’s origins as a media mix project and get into what we like about the series!!!(covers volumes 1-2)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Mar 20th, 2017 @ 3:43pm

130 - Saikyo Selections 6 - Sailor Moon

This week Dawn “Usamimi” from the Anime Nostalgia Podcast is back to talk about one of her favorite series, Sailor Moon! We examine everything from the differences of the manga vs. the anime to the recently aired Sailor Moon Crystal! Also on this episode, Dawn’s been reading Goodnight Punpun and recommends Naoki Urasawa no Manben for a look behind the scenes of creating manga, darfox checks out Reiraku and likes the unique art of BEASTARS, we celebrate the English release of My Brother’s Husband and Ichi F, we discuss the difficulty of translating and the slippery slope of fan-translations, and we’re hyped for DEVILMAN crybaby by Masaaki Yuasa but not so much for Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Mar 27th, 2017 @ 1:29pm

131 - Manga in Motion 14 - Patlabor: The Movie

On this episode we discuss the upcoming Live-Action Ghost in the Shell, Seamus finishes March Comes in like a Lion and now hates Momo, we love looking behind the scenes of creating manga in Naoki Urasawa’s Manben, dakazu is touched by Higashikata Akiko’s loving tribute to her art teacher in Kakukaku Shikajika, and we weigh in on the Netflix version of Death Note! Then we dive into a lengthy analysis of Patlabor: The Movie and compare it to Mamoru Oshii’s other movies!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 3rd, 2017 @ 1:39pm

131 - Manga in Motion 14 - Patlabor: The Movie

This week we read emails, we give manga suggestions, Seamus has mixed feelings about Himegoto - Juukyuusai no Seifuku, darfox might drop Dr. STONE, and dakazu talks about the cut-throat business of weekly manga. Then we get to our main topic of Patlabor 2: The Movie! We compare it to the previous Patlabor movie, look for more Mamoru Oshii-isms, and break down our favorite scenes!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 9th, 2017 @ 11:40pm

133 - Tezuka Osamu's Phoenix part 10

On this episode we read an email, Seamus describes the unique manga in AX Volume 1, dakazu can’t help but compare 7 Billion Needles to Parasyte, darfox praises the characterizations in BEASTARS, and he reports back from seeing the new Ghost in the Shell movie! Finally, we check out the next volume of Tezuka Osamu’s Phoenix for our retrospective!!!(covers volume 10-Sun part 1)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Apr 17th, 2017 @ 12:09am

134 - Tezuka Osamu's Phoenix part 11

This week we thank Leann Hill for our awesome new avatars! Then we run down the new anime of the season, including The Eccentric Family 2, SAKURA QUEST, Warau Salesman, BERSERK 2, My Hero Academia 2, Attack on Titan 2, BORUTO: NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS, Shingeki no Bahamut: VIRGIN SOUL, and ATOM: THE BEGINNING! Also dakazu is excited for Mori Kouji’s new manga Sousei no Taiga! Finally, we finish the Sun arc of Phoenix!!!(covers volume 11-Sun part 2)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Apr 17th, 2017 @ 6:12am

dakazu wrote:Then we run down the new anime of the season...

The Eccentric Family 2 - Delightful
SAKURA QUEST - OK
Warau Salesman - Terrible
BERSERK 2 - 3DPD; dreadful
My Hero Academia 2 - Rly gud
Attack on Titan 2 - OK
BORUTO: NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS - Filler-hell continues
Shingeki no Bahamut: VIRGIN SOUL - Amaze
ATOM: THE BEGINNING - Middling one episode in

Consider the following:
Fukumenkei Noise - Competent shojo (so shojo) drama about ppl in a band w/ decent music.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Apr 18th, 2017 @ 1:51am

Don't tease Kenzo. Commit to anime season review or not. Stop half-assing it
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Apr 19th, 2017 @ 12:14am

dakazu wrote:Don't tease Kenzo. Commit to anime season review or not. Stop half-assing it
I stopped doing them because they were a decent amount of work and I was pretty sure they were going unappreciated. If you'd like to see one I can whip one up, but it's gonna take a little time b/c I don't have photoshop installed anymore. Also, the charts I preferred to use, that website shut down like a week or so ago, so going forward it's going to be hard.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Apr 24th, 2017 @ 1:11am

135 - Tezuka Osamu's Phoenix part 12

On this episode we answer an email, discuss the new chapters of Chi no Wadachi, dakazu compares must-read manga vs. top-of-their-genre manga, Seamus is disappointed about how Himegoto - Juukyuusai no Seifuku ends, and the manga 10 Dance is everything dakazu wanted Yuri!!! on Ice to be! Then we wrap up on the final volume of Phoenix, share our opinions on the series as a whole, and weigh in on our favorite arcs!!!(covers volume 12-Early Works)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » May 1st, 2017 @ 12:17am

136 - Manga in Motion 16 - Your Name.

This week Seamus makes predictions for what happens next in Vinland Saga and Chi no Wadachi, darfox digs the love triangle in Prison School and is enjoying ATOM: THE BEGINNING, dakazu pulls a Seamus and spoils himself on Furenaba Ochin, and we talk about upcoming live action movie adaptations of manga, such as Gintama, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, and Blade of the Immortal. Finally, we look at the super popular anime movie Your Name. and give our opinions about it!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
Last edited by dakazu on May 8th, 2017 @ 12:05am, edited 1 time in total.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » May 8th, 2017 @ 12:05am

137 - One Shot 4 - Ghost in the Shell

On this episode we answer an email and talk about Junji Ito manga, while dakazu checks out the end of Naruto Shippuden, (unfortunately)revisits Usagi Drop, and rants about Okamoto Rin’s new manga Parallel Paradise! Then for our One Shot section we discuss Ghost in the Shell!!! We compare the characters in the manga to their anime counterparts, cringe at Masamune Shirow’s love of fan service, and breakdown all plot points that were taken for the various anime adaptations!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » May 14th, 2017 @ 11:41pm

138 - Triple Dip 21 - BEASTARS, Moteki, Ichi the Killer

This week Seamus likes the secondary couple in the yuri manga Kiss and White Lily for My Dearest Girl, the other shoe finally drops in Chi no Wadachi, darfox and dakazu compare their reading styles, darfox shares his thoughts on the newest arc of Happiness, dakazu comes across the most bizarre and blatant health scam in X-POWER~4th Dimensional Body Enhancement~, and he takes a look at the new Tsutomu Nihei series Ningyou no Kuni. Then for our Triple Dip, we discuss BEASTARS, Moteki, and Ichi the Killer!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » May 22nd, 2017 @ 3:26am

139 - Manga in Motion 17 - BLAME! Movie

On this episode Seamus revisits Ooku: The Inner Chambers but hates the early modern English translations, dakazu is sad that I’m a Runaway Girl has ended, he talks about photoshopping Gundam models to create Gundam Thunderbolt Gaiden, darfox comes for the cat but stays for the lesbian confessions of My Cute Little Kitten, and dakazu is fed up with the filler episodes of ATOM: THE BEGINNING! Then, with a heavy heart, we review the Netflix 3D anime adaptation of BLAME!. Listen as we complain about nearly everything, struggle to find positives things, and discuss what we would have wanted from this movie.

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » May 29th, 2017 @ 1:40pm

140 - Triple Dip 22 - Battle Angel Alita, Fist of the North Star, Blade of the Immortal

This week Seamus catches up on BEASTARS, Chi no Wadachi continues to entice us, reddit introduces darfox to Fell in Love with a Girl 8 years younger and Met my Sister on a Dating Site, and dakazu’s next manga/anime binge will be ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Department! Then we jump into a bloody battle themed Triple Dip with Blade of the Immortal, Battle Angel Alita, and Fist of the North Star!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jun 5th, 2017 @ 12:59am

141 - Manga in Motion 18 - Ninja Scroll

On this episode we answer an email, we examine species profiling within the new BEASTARS chapters, Seamus continues with Ooku: The Inner Chambers, darfox examines the manga offered through his new Crunchyroll subscription and prefers the characterization in the anime compared to the manga of BORUTO: NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS, dakazu loves the world of ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Department and gets hungry for fantasy cuisine of the high flying dragon whalers in Kutei Dragons, and we discuss news of death threats over Touken-shipping in Tokyo Ghoul:re! Then we look at one of the most popular anime from the 90’s, Ninja Scroll! We share stories about the culture of the fandom during that time period and how the film holds up now!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
[
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Jun 6th, 2017 @ 2:08pm

dakazu wrote:On this episode we answer an email

Come the fuck on now.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Jun 12th, 2017 @ 3:15pm

142 - I am a Hero part 1

This week darfox weighs in on season two of Eccentric Family, dakazu finishes WOMBS and is still reading Reincarnation no Kaben, we get hyped for our special guest, dakazu discovers the collection of stories from various mangaka based on Parasyte in Neo Kiseijuu and he finds another spin-off of Kaiji in Ichinichi Gaishutsuroku Hanchou! Then we dive into our newest retrospective review for I am a Hero!!! We revisit the beginning of the story, examine the main character Hideo, and discuss what makes this manga stand out from other zombie stories!!!(covers chapters 1-46)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
Last edited by dakazu on Jun 19th, 2017 @ 1:40am, edited 2 times in total.
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jun 19th, 2017 @ 1:39am

143 - I am a Hero part 2

On this episode we answer an email about Platinum End, darfox gets into tanuki lore for Eccentric Family, Seamus watches the anime film Red Turtle, dakazu find a violent manga version of the Lion King with Jasmin, and we report on news about the Pluto and Yuri!!! on Ice!Then we get back to our retrospective of I am a Hero!!! We’ll be discussing the translations for the messageboards, the plot twist with Hiromi, and the tense Gotemba Outlet Mall arc!(covers chapters 47-81)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jun 25th, 2017 @ 11:54pm

144 - One Shot 5 - My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness

This week we interview Jocelyn Allen of Brain Vs. Book who translated My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness! She talks to us about the process of pitching projects to publishers, the lack of transparency for translators, the problem with scanlations, and the difficulty of translating Japanese puns! Then she continues to answer our questions as we share our thoughts on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jul 2nd, 2017 @ 11:59pm

145 - I am a Hero part 3

On this episode we answer an email about In Clothes Called Fat, Seamus finds more shiritori in Kiss and White Lily for My Dearest Girl, darfox is rewatching Eureka Seven, dakazu finds two bad manga in Rock Me Amadeus and Fairy Tale Battle Royale but loves the world of RAFNAS by WOMBS creator Shirai Yumiko! Then we discuss the new trailer for the Netflix Death Note movie, rejoice in the announcement of Junji Ito’s Haunted House anime, and explain why Welcome to the Ballroom is streaming on Twitch. Finally, we continue our retrospective review of I am a Hero by wrapping up the Gotemba Outlet Mall arc and diving into the Kurusu arc next!!!(covers chapters 82-117)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jul 10th, 2017 @ 2:52am

146 - Manga in Motion 19 - I am a Hero Movie

This week we answer an email, we discuss the newest arc in BEASTARS, dakazu finishes Coppelion and watches the Welcome to the Ballroom anime, darfox is looking forward to FLCL2+3, we rejoice in the news of Silent Voice getting a US theatrical release, and the teaser trailer of the live-action adaptation of BLEACH scrounges up mixed feelings. Then we take a break from our I am a Hero retrospective to check out the live-action adaptation that came out last year. We break down pros and cons of the film and compare it to the manga!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jul 17th, 2017 @ 8:14pm

147 - I am a Hero part 4

On this episode we give our opinions on light novels, we discuss the newest chapters of Chi no Wadachi and BEASTARS, dakazu finds Paru Itagaki’s Prototype of BEASTARS called Beast Complex and checks out Isekai Shokudo, and Seamus and Darfox review the second season of Eccentric Family. Then we return to our retrospective of I am a Hero! We wrap up the Kurusu-arc and get into the Hakone hot springs-arc!!!(covers chapters 118-155)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jul 24th, 2017 @ 1:55am

148 - I am a Hero part 5

This week Seamus is keeping up with BEASTARS, darfox talks about the end of Fairy Tale, we discuss the Hollywood TV adaptations of One Piece and Cowboy Bebop, we praise the casting of Willem Defoe as Ryuk in Netflix’s Death Note, dakazu loves Natsume Ono’s new manga Lady and Oldman but doesn’t like the reboot of Tezuka Osamu’s The Three Eyed One called Three Eyed Apocalypse, and dakazu rants about accepting commissions for scanlations. Then we continue our long retrospective review of I am a Hero and discuss major events that take place during the Hakone Hot Springs arc!!!(covers chapters 156-191)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Jul 30th, 2017 @ 10:21pm

149 - I am a Hero part 6

On this episode Seamus is eager to read more of Girl’s Last Tour which is similar to BLAME!, we do a quick update on new Chi no Wadachi and BEASTARS chapters, dakazu finishes Bloody Delinquent Chainsaw and Asano Inio’s Reiraku, and he checks out a manga adaptation of the hit 2016 Japanese novel I Want to Eat Your Pancreas. Then we return to the world of ZQN with our I am a Hero retrospective! We go over the events that are leading to a big finale in Tokyo and discuss Hideo and Hiromi’s official relationship!(covers chapters 192-228)

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby dakazu » Aug 14th, 2017 @ 12:59am

150 - One Shot 6 - Tomie

Welcome to our mega-sized 150th episode! Seamus is out but Dawn “Usamimi” from the Anime Nostalgia Podcast returns to talk about horror manga! We take an in-depth look at Junji Ito’s earlier work Tomie and talk about Junji Ito’s other works, the live-action movie series, answer what qualifies as horror, and suggest other horror manga! We also discuss rewatching Eureka Seven: AO, seeing KiKi’s Delivery Service in theaters, praise Goodnight Punpun, the lovable delinquents of Slam Dunk & Yu Yu Hakusho, the guilty pleasures of Dragon Ball Super, finally watching My Hero Academia, the bad seasons of Yami Shibai, the reboot of Mahoujin Guru Guru, the upcoming Netflix’s CG reboot of Saint Seiya, the live-action Ajin: Demi Human, the Psycho-Pass season that ‘shall not be discussed’, hate watching The Lost Village, hype for Devilman: crybaby, Masaaki Yuasa’s The Night is Short Walk On, Girl & Lu Over the Wall, bio-flesh horror in AICO: Incarnation, the anime adaptation of Golden Kamuy, bad CG in BERSERK, the live-action One Piece TV show, and an email from BEASTARS Paru Itagaki!!!

Download it here!
RSS feed!!!
Tumblr!!!
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Aug 14th, 2017 @ 8:40am

Sometime soon, you boys should go watch In This Corner of the World and discuss it. I highly recommend it, it's a fantastic film. IIRC there should be a showing in HI next weekend.

https://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/inthiscorner/

Manga is also getting published stateside in the Fall too I think, and I've heard nothing but amazing things about it.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics