Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 14

Postby Rydog » May 2nd, 2009 @ 5:22pm

This week (er, uh, weekend's) podcast is live. Head over here and give it a listen!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 14

Postby ZombieArmy » May 2nd, 2009 @ 5:24pm

Yay, something to listen to on my long drive tonight! I was hoping it'd come out before I left.
ZombieArmy

Postby Ricken » May 2nd, 2009 @ 6:41pm

Just for some clarification on L4D, you aren't going crazy Ryan, they did add a fatigue mechanic for melee attacks. People used to back into corners and then rapidly spam melee, switch weapon, melee which would result in much quicker melee attacks.

Now there's a little timer that appears over your crosshair when you try to do that.
Ricken

Postby IcarusII » May 2nd, 2009 @ 6:59pm

Loved the podcast as always, and while I generally agree with the opinion of the Fast and the Furious films, I disagree that Vin Diesel lacks charisma. Have none of the members on the podcast played Escape From Butcher Bay? His voice makes the game.

Whoever did the Diesel impression on the podcast...poor imitation.

And yes, Star Trek comes out on May 8th, not "late May".
IcarusII

Postby the eye in the sky » May 2nd, 2009 @ 7:26pm

I was going to the forums the frontpage states "new episode", so I go on itunes but it isnt there! So I downloaded it from the webpage. How long does it take for itunes to put new episodes up on average? Does anyone even know?
Which is the best band name? converse about the universe, laws of motion, fingers as toes or actual size
the eye in the sky

Postby Callan » May 2nd, 2009 @ 11:27pm

At 22:39: "I want all of dat, in here."

I wasn't sure if I was going to breathe again because I was laughing so hard.
Sent from my TI-83.
Callan

Postby KevlarKoala » May 3rd, 2009 @ 1:11am

Ya know what, I get that you would want your employees to know the alphabet. But if someone declined to hire me because I failed to recite the alphabet backwards, I would not hesitate in calling that person a total asshole/bitch.

That kinda bugged me throughout the entire podcast. Not so much that I didn't love it as usual, but it was there, niggling away at the back of my mind.
I've made compromises. Sorry Rorschach.
KevlarKoala

Postby AdamGS » May 3rd, 2009 @ 6:41am

The only decent film Vin Diesel's ever been in was Pitch Black, and that was about eight years ago. He really is limited when it comes to acting range, he needs to do a super hardcore 18 rated movie, like Crank.

And when I heard Jade say Serenity was a bad movie I spat out my red bull. LOL WUT??

Finally, I never thought I'd say this about a podcast, but it should really be longer. I'd happily sit (or walk) through two hours worth of Geekbox. Whether it would stay the consistent quality or degenerate into a bunch of drunks (ListenUp) though is unknown. Worth a try at least!
Gamestyle - Our Word. Your Guide | Twitter |
Xbox Live - Adam1986 | PSN - MyNameIsAdam
AdamGS

Postby LiQuid » May 3rd, 2009 @ 7:51am

I haven't listened yet, but all this Vin shit talk absolutely needs to stop. The man is fucking awesome. He's done a couple of shit films, but all around I like him a lot. The Fast and the Furious was a rad movie, both for its complete aping of the Point Break plot, and cheesy rice culture (mmm cheesy rice). Pitch Black was amazing, and did a good job establishing the Riddick character in a classic sci-fi horror film, but I also really loved Chronicles as well since it took that established character and dropped him in the middle of big, dumb sci-fi universe, the likes of which we haven't seen since the Fifth Element. This is a genre that I personally can't get enough of. Vin is fighting hard to get a third Riddick movie greenlit, and to him I say "Good luck, sir!"

Also, don't forget one of Vin's most charismatic roles (in one of my personal favorite movies of all time), in Brad Bird's Iron Giant, what might be the last, great, traditionally animated feature to see the inside of a cinema.

Sure I might have more appreciation for him due to my love of "junk" films, but along with Duane "The Rock" Johnson, I think he's our generations best representations of silly action stars like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Chuck Norris, and I love him for that.
LiQuid

Postby AdamGS » May 3rd, 2009 @ 8:27am

Almost forgot. I'd also like every Geekbox episode to have a Harry Knowles hate moment.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the time he was getting married to his Thai bride (not joking) and had to shoehorn that into everyone of his news stories. It was quite sad. But funny.

Also, hasn't had his stomach stapled or something?
Gamestyle - Our Word. Your Guide | Twitter |
Xbox Live - Adam1986 | PSN - MyNameIsAdam
AdamGS

Postby Valke » May 3rd, 2009 @ 11:18am

Note: Firstly, yes Frank Welker is indeed awesome and he did have a role in The Simpsons. He did the voice effects for Santa's Little Helper and Snowball II. Of all things,right?
Valke

Postby Melvilles Fist » May 3rd, 2009 @ 1:05pm

Harry Knowles? Add X-Men to the big list of things he hasn't seen in years, including his feet or c*ck.
Adam .:. We are Legion! .:. The Legion of Dudes Podcast
Melvilles Fist

Postby AP-Zac » May 3rd, 2009 @ 1:49pm

Thanks for the plug guys, and Ryan what are your thoughts on Bioshock?
Podcast: www.averageplayer.libsyn.com
Twitter: averageplayer
AP-Zac

Postby mtcantor » May 3rd, 2009 @ 1:59pm

Aww, we got some forum love finally. I still think you guys should pimp the forums a bit harder, maybe discuss some of the more interesting topics, etc. We have a real solid and growing community here, which would benefit from some of that old Ryan Scott magic.
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby Clint » May 3rd, 2009 @ 2:03pm

Ryan's Harry Knowles impression made me think of the Heavy eating his sandvich :lol:

Good stuff as always!
Clint

Postby ACSlayter » May 3rd, 2009 @ 7:19pm

I'll be downloading this tonight, and listening on the way to work on Tuesday. Can't wait.
Time to die, preppy.
ACSlayter

Postby devilishleader » May 3rd, 2009 @ 7:25pm

i wonder what kind of hat ryan is going to eat?
pain is just weakness leaving the body
devilishleader

Postby Mechar » May 4th, 2009 @ 12:36am

I´m glad that Ryan mentioned Frank Welkers appearance in Revenge of The Fallen. Soundwave is unfortunately one of the characters we have yet to see in the trailers, but acording to the Live action movie-blog he will have a lot of screen time.

Great episode overall though. But we need more forum promotion besides Ryan going on about it in the end of every episode. A good idea perhaps would be to have a weekly topic, which would be discussed here on the boards and also on air. That perhaps will intrigue many listeners to go and register.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
Mechar

Postby Mr_eX » May 4th, 2009 @ 10:56am

mtcantor wrote:Aww, we got some forum love finally. I still think you guys should pimp the forums a bit harder, maybe discuss some of the more interesting topics, etc. We have a real solid and growing community here, which would benefit from some of that old Ryan Scott magic.

I agree.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 4th, 2009 @ 12:31pm

AdamGS wrote:Almost forgot. I'd also like every Geekbox episode to have a Harry Knowles hate moment.

Second. Although I'm guessing they could probably fill an entire other podcast with Harry Knowles hate. And I wouldn't be against that idea, either.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » May 4th, 2009 @ 12:36pm

Wow, thanks for the shout out Higgins. Now I'm never gonna get laid again! :lol:
LiQuid

Postby mtcantor » May 5th, 2009 @ 12:15am

acerock wrote:but what i am really trying to say is that while firefly is an interesting diversion, nothing comes close to The Wire. The Wire is the closest thing to literature that TV has ever produced. Watch the 1st season of The Wire and work your way through and you'll never ever encounter anything else that matches its honesty and quality. and don't bail on it because it's not sci-fi/fantasy.

Apples....

Oranges....

Ne'er the twain shall meet.

Btw, spaghetti is completely pointless because hamburgers rock.
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » May 5th, 2009 @ 4:18am

Was kinda in agreement with post mentioning that saying the alphabet backwards is a dealbreaker for getting a job. Last time I checked knowing it forwards is pretty acceptable but knowing how to deal with customers without sarcasm and being helpful to those who dont know games (mums/grans) who are buying for others is BIG must.

I refuse help from any clerk in a games shop (its pretty much GAME or Gamestation in the UK) as I have had bad experiences in the past. Yes they can recite the alphabet backwards but they wouldnt know good customer service if it painted it self purple and jumped on a piano to sing showtunes...

On another note, THIS is how you deal with a drive through....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLn45-7Pn2Y
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc

Postby Mr_eX » May 5th, 2009 @ 6:25am

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » May 5th, 2009 @ 7:27am

acerock wrote:but what i am really trying to say is that while firefly is an interesting diversion, nothing comes close to The Wire. The Wire is the closest thing to literature that TV has ever produced. Watch the 1st season of The Wire and work your way through and you'll never ever encounter anything else that matches its honesty and quality. and don't bail on it because it's not sci-fi/fantasy.

I'm by all means not a Whedon apologist, and like mtcantor said, these really don't have any basis to be compared, but I am seriously NOT a fan of the Wire at all. I watched the entire first season and I thought it was dumb, overwrought melodrama. I don't remember what episode it was, but at one point in the middle of season 1, there was a scene with the main female officer and a bunch of her chick friends sitting in a bar, and the scene was seriously painful to sit through. The written was stiff, the delivery was dry... All the girls there went stone faced and serious'd while they listened to one of them deliver a "touching" monologue. I don't remember what she was even talking about. I just remember it being so terrible that I knew then that I was only finishing the season out of respect for the friend who borrowed it to me.

So yes, while I do think Whedon is terribly overrated, I did enjoy Firefly much more then the Wire. And it is possible for someone to enjoy oranges more than apples, though I'll never understand those guys...
LiQuid

Postby mtcantor » May 5th, 2009 @ 10:19am

acerock wrote:etc etc etc

Justify all you want, by your definition almost every drama or drama-like show on tv is comparable, regardless of genre, setting, target audience, etc. Moreover, just because something is exceptional (which is totally subjective, btw, loads of people dont like the wire) doesn't mean something different is not.

Here's me trying: the two have nothing to do with one another. We aren't exactly comparing Star Trek: TNG to DS9. The Wire and Firefly are different at an elemental base level. They are attempting two entirely different forms of drama. The Wire is a realistic cop drama depicting the lives of detectives and criminals in Baltimore. It is gritty, in your face, dark, with only brief moments of levity. Everything about the show revolves around these elements, from the writing, to the directing, editing, camera angles, and of course casting. Firefly is a sci-fi space adventure series with western influences, and though there are some darker elements to it, it is also very light and entertaining, Joss is good at keeping a balance between the two. Despite the fact that both shows deal with "human interaction" they are TOTALLY different, and one being good in no way diminishes the other.

Its silly to insist that Firefly, or any of Whedon's work is bad/subpar/whatever because you really like something else instead. That's great for you, but in the end I couldn't care less what you like. I, and many others, really enjoy Whedon's work, on it's own merits mind you (not because it's better than, say, The OC).

Here's what it comes down to: your basic logic underlying your argument is wrong. It's great for you to watch the Wire and think that nothing can come close, so why bother watching (though you are going to run out of TV pretty quickly that way), but other people just don't see it that way.
mtcantor

Postby LiQuid » May 5th, 2009 @ 10:23am

I think acerock works for HBO.
LiQuid

Postby mtcantor » May 5th, 2009 @ 10:26am

Is this the forum equivalent of the Chewlies Gum scam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuhtiFYM ... annel_page
mtcantor

Postby mtcantor » May 5th, 2009 @ 3:17pm

Listen, you are only correct in the sense that all drama deals with the same human experience, albeit in different ways. Your comparison is still strained, and in my opinion far too overwrought.

No one is saying Firefly is the best dramatic television series of all time (at least that I can tell), but rather that it is a good show, and a great sci-fi show.

I agree, btw, that The Wire is excellent, but honestly up until now I have never thought of the two shows simultaneously, or mentioned them in the same breath, and I continue to fail to see any real basis for comparison.

BUT whatever.

I disagree with you about Whedon entirely though, but that's just opinion. Buffy and Angel were fantastic shows (each with some bad seasons, but overall very new, different, and engaging), Dr. Horrible is one of the best things seen on the Internets ever, and Dollhouse is steadily growing on me.

Oh, and his X-men series was pretty darn good too.
mtcantor

Postby Dr Mrs The Monarch » May 5th, 2009 @ 5:27pm

I miss Karen....

and on a side note, I challenge Giant Asian Man to a dual for favorite Geekbox poster! I will use my Venture Brothers powers to defeat you, fist by transforming into MECHA SHIVA!

MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA! MECHA SHIVA!
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Next
Forum Statistics