Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 16

Postby Rydog » May 20th, 2009 @ 10:48am

Our latest episode -- raw and uncut, so you can enjoy every awkward pause and weird comment! -- is up. Give it a listen right here, and don't forget to Digg!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 16

Postby Master Higgins » May 20th, 2009 @ 12:17pm

I LIKE IT RAW
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby anachron » May 20th, 2009 @ 12:36pm

Currently listening to the JJ Abrams vs Joss Whedon discussion. I don't think that JJ Abrams has as much of a cult following as Joss Whedon does. Although the stuff he makes tends to be more successful than Whedon's, I don't think people watch them because it has the JJ Abrams name attached to it. I just think he makes good shows and movies and therefore people watch them. On the other hand, I think the only reason Dollhouse has any ratings at all is because Whedon's name is attached to it.
anachron

Postby geronimo » May 20th, 2009 @ 4:24pm

The unedited version is better. It's longer and it's funnier. And it's gets you guys released on time, instead of on the weekends.
geronimo

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 20th, 2009 @ 4:49pm

I want to throw my vote toward the "raw" podcasts. Not to knock Rydog's editing skills, but I didn't really notice anything different about this episode from the previous ones. I'll take the "ums" and awkward pauses over the podcast going up on Friday or Saturday.

Its fairly obvious that both Abrams and Whedon like their strong female leads; they're hallmarks of pretty much every project from those guys. With Lost, I'd like to remind people (or tell them for the first time) that in the original concept of the show, Kate was the main character, not Jack. Jack was originally slated to die at the hands of the smoke monster halfway through the first episode (changed, of course, to Greg Grunberg's pilot character), and Kate was to become the de facto leader of the survivors. I believe that changed sometime during the casting process, before they even cast Jack and Kate. So Kate could have been another J.J. Abrams strong female lead.

And I am not a WoW player, thus I will not be joining the Geekbox WoW Guild. Surely, this disappoints no one.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Pele » May 20th, 2009 @ 5:45pm

geronimo wrote:The unedited version is better. It's longer and it's funnier. And it's gets you guys released on time, instead of on the weekends.

This.
Pele

Postby racingfreak92 » May 20th, 2009 @ 10:55pm

Another vote for the RAW episodes. Its much funnier and i think its just more natural when nothing is taken out.
LiQuid wrote:I would never go on a cruise because I think whales are scary. Major Nelson went on a cruise last week and he posted a bunch of pictures and I was looking at the pictures of all the whales and even that was scary. Also large ships are scary.
racingfreak92

Postby KindGalaxy » May 21st, 2009 @ 4:38am

Wow! Someone knew 'V'! That is one of my favourite sci-fi mini-series in history, the sequel mini-series was great too but man, as soon as the opening sequence has a scroll text of,
"This movie is dedicated to the past, present and future freedom fighters"
I knew it was going to be an awesome show. I was 4 or 5 when it came out, now I'm 24 and I still love this mini-series. It had great Fascist overtones, mirroring the Nazi Germany, to the point where the Elder of the show paints a V ontop of a Brown Shirt poster in the show, V - for Victory. Closing the initial mini-series movie. Leaving humanity imprisoned under alien rule, humans fighting humans in a police state environment, your every move is watched, trust no one, it was so awesome to witness, in a 1980s movie no less, such political, social overtones that we've only just recently revisited in Battlestar Galactica.
I hope the remake/revision of the 'V' show represents such story telling.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby Sokkratez » May 21st, 2009 @ 5:11am

ODB likes it raw.

Sokkratez

Postby RTTastic » May 21st, 2009 @ 7:15am

Happiness = driving long distances listening to geekcasts. :)

I have listened to episodes 14 and 15 along my overnight drive, and was tickled when I found that there was a new episode up today when I stopped at Panera to download more podcasts!

You know you're a geek when: you'd rather listen to podcasts about science and geekery while driving 15 hours than music.
RTTastic

Postby shane » May 21st, 2009 @ 1:29pm

As if there's an episode on a Thursday. Totally gave my shopping trip the boost it needed. I'm all for unedited if it means it's released earlier. I don't think it being longer is an issue for listeners, the longer the better for me, to be honest.

anachron wrote:I don't think that JJ Abrams has as much of a cult following as Joss Whedon does. Although the stuff he makes tends to be more successful than Whedon's, I don't think people watch them because it has the JJ Abrams name attached to it. I just think he makes good shows and movies and therefore people watch them.

I totally agree with this. I decided to give Dollhouse a try when I heard it was Joss Whedon, so his shows get a following because it has his name on it. But I didn't realise stuff like Alias and Lost were JJ IPs until after I'd watched them. I don't usually go looking for them, they just get so popular they become unavoidable.

None of that's a bad thing though. People wouldn't watch the shows if they were terrible, regardless of who created them.
shane

Postby bayfield » May 21st, 2009 @ 1:34pm

seeing this podcast come up sooner than normal threw me in a loop, but i quickly got over it and honestly didn't feel this podcast would have needed too much editing. now listening to Rydog laugh for minutes on end uncontrollably _probably_ would have gotten old.. but hearing him eat those hats = priceless.

so "obvious" *fingerquotes* editing should be done, but otherwise, dont worry about making everything seem so clean an precise, we're human not computer (despite some of our dreams) o_O

till the next geekbox.

:geek:
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » May 21st, 2009 @ 2:00pm

I likes it raw!!

Like G.A.M I didnt notice anything different. I can imagine it would show if Rydog was to have an uncontrollable laughing fit for 5 minutes like a few episodes ago.
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » May 22nd, 2009 @ 6:52am

PoisonousJoe wrote:<incongruous lost tangents>Fertility goddesses aside, women would die while giving birth - I figured it was more of a case of Ethan was the last baby born before the nuclear bomb explodes and that explosion was the cause of the baby conundrum and not the de-ankling of the statue. Two ankhs....weird...what does it all mean?!

Also, I don't think Jack and John would reprise the roles of Jacob and Co. as, since his return to the island, Jack acts more like John's proxy in the whole Destiny vs. Free Will Hot Potatoe game - Desmond and Ben are diametrically opposed at this point, as are(were) Sayid and Ben - Jacob and Sayid are "dead" soooo what if! :lol:

I'll have to watch the ending again to double check but, I thought it was Juliet's eye that anticipatorily cracks open like an frosty can of Cactus Cooler.</incongruous lost tangents>

Really like the RAW show, welcome back Mr. Ford, Congrats on the new employment Senor Scott, wait that was last show - RAW is better! More Geekbox and more filling - thanks and keep it up please :D

Someone has compared Jacks eye from season 1 open with the eye at the end and apparently the eyelashes match up LOL

Seriously, too much time on their hands....
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc

Postby Atomsmasher » May 22nd, 2009 @ 11:38pm

This has nothing to do with the latest podcast, but I wanted to say thanks to the geekbox crew for turning me on to Burn Notice. I just started watching season 1 and that show is awesome! Looking forward to getting caught up for season 3 and being able to listen to the commentary.
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby Jeku » May 23rd, 2009 @ 11:45am

Awesome podcast, guys and gal :) I'd love to hear what iPhone games you have all been playing lately.
Jeku
Geekbox VIP

Postby James-Kond » May 25th, 2009 @ 8:01am

I'd love to have some more Raw, please ;)
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby kenzo » May 26th, 2009 @ 5:08am

Fantastic!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 5:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby laughingcao » May 26th, 2009 @ 10:08am

to Fitch. YOU SHOULD'VE GONE TO TIM LINCECUM BOBBLE HEAD DAY!
laughingcao

Forum Statistics