Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Rydog » May 27th, 2009 @ 10:50pm

Give the new episode (another raw edition, by popular demand) a listen right here! Don't forget to Digg and all that jazz.

And ALSO, I mention this in the episode, but I apologize for basically being an absentee forum administrator lately. I've been more than a little busy with my new job, preparing for E3, etc. I promise I have not forsaken this place. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby LiQuid » May 28th, 2009 @ 12:40am

Yeah, Raw Edition must continue. Faster casts is awesome, and the more natural sound is appealing, not a turn off at all.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Hellsfire » May 28th, 2009 @ 2:27am

I don't see what you had to edit anyway. Most of you are used to being on a podcast and there's more than 2 so there's not going to be many pauses, you're not in a loud place with a crap microphone so there's no static or no bumper music or segments per say. I, personally, think you just enjoyed making more work for yourself.
Hellsfire
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mar 19th, 2009 @ 3:37am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » May 28th, 2009 @ 4:39am

I think its more Rydogs excessive use of "errrr" and also the occasional 7 minute laughing fit that he has.

But on the whole I hardly notice a difference and if getting up online is quicker then all I can say is "Hell Yeah!"
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc
User avatar
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:35pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby KindGalaxy » May 28th, 2009 @ 4:49am

It's not really getting up quicker; logically, if they record once a week, the RAW edition is posted on say a Wednesday/Thursday as opposed to a Saturday/Sunday the waiting period per episode is the same regardless; 7 days.
What the RAW Edition enables is less work on editing the podcast for consumption, we the enjoy-person of the podcast still experience a 7 day wait between episodes.
Summation: Do more RAW because the hosts of Geekbox have their real jobs and real lives to attend to and shouldn't have to spent half a day editing some audio track.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy
User avatar
 
Posts: 3753
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:01pm
Location: Australia

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby LiQuid » May 28th, 2009 @ 10:03am

The "quicker" casts means that we can hear about the things they talk about a few days after the fact instead of a week + a few days after. I was getting sick about hearing about "last weeks" episode of Lost every week. That shouldn't be happening anymore. :)
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby joeben81 » May 28th, 2009 @ 11:42am

I don't care what you haters say.... The second Matrix movie with freaking awesome!!!11!.

..and you call yourselves geeks... pfft..
joeben81
User avatar
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mar 13th, 2009 @ 4:50am

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby bayfield » May 28th, 2009 @ 12:54pm

joeben81 wrote:I don't care what you haters say.... The second Matrix movie with freaking awesome!!!11!

:| the 2nd matrix failed to really get me psyched and excited about the movie or want to be keanu reeves :shock: (what other moment would you possibly ever WANT to be keanu? dumbstruck constantly saying 'woah'...) After watching the matrix everyone leaving the theater was pumped up, wanting to run on walls, slow time, stop bullets, dress in trench coats, pack heat, wear sunglasses and use japanese slide cellphones that would never be released in the USA. heck, i even wanted to have a friend named Tank. :lol:

the 2nd one.. not so much. i do however think the trilogy as a whole does have it's place in anyones movie collection

:ugeek:
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield
User avatar
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 9:10am
Location: new jersey, usa

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Luminari » May 28th, 2009 @ 2:17pm

Man...for Geeks you guys throw out a LOT of apocryphal, vague, and unsubstantiated info...I know it's RAW and all but there are about Five of you on average...
Luminari
 
Posts: 7
Joined: May 28th, 2009 @ 2:15pm

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby bayfield » May 28th, 2009 @ 3:02pm

Luminari wrote:Man...for Geeks you guys throw out a LOT of apocryphal, vague, and unsubstantiated info...I know it's RAW and all but there are about Five of you on average..

this post is useless without references. :P

:ugeek:
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield
User avatar
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mar 25th, 2009 @ 9:10am
Location: new jersey, usa

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Dr Mrs The Monarch » May 28th, 2009 @ 4:55pm

yah! great show lady and gents! i'm totally making a geekbox comic now and it'll be full of awesomeness and wonder and....stuff... yeah.....
Dr Mrs The Monarch
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 10th, 2009 @ 9:44am

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby IcarusII » May 29th, 2009 @ 5:56am

I wish this podcast had better structure, better information research, and a host that can host (so that transitions from topic to topic don't start with "uhhhhhh, so have you....?"). I don't listen to the Gamespy podcast, but if its anything like this, I don't think I'm missing anything. I don't mean to be rude, and I do like listening to some of the ideas and discussions between the people on this podcast, but without focus and form I wonder how long this ramshackle podcast can last. Back to RebelFM and the 1UP podcasts I go.

I think I might be an impetuous nerd. Discussing nerdy things with friends is fun because you can interject when someone is wrong or mistaken. Listening to a group of people being mistaken about a bunch of stuff through a pair of headphones? Not so fun.

Oh, and while Terminator Salvation wasn't good, at least I was smart enough to tell if our governor of California could not have been as physically fit as his character was in the movie. It was cgi face manipulation on a body double, people. Have you seen Arnie lately? Hardly fit for the role. And the main character of Salvation is neither Kyle Reese nor John Connor. Greg, can you guess who?
IcarusII
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 2nd, 2009 @ 6:55pm

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Lombaszko » May 29th, 2009 @ 6:41am

IcarusII wrote:Oh, and while Terminator Salvation wasn't good, at least I was smart enough to tell if our governor of California could not have been as physically fit as his character was in the movie. It was cgi face manipulation on a body double, people. Have you seen Arnie lately? Hardly fit for the role.

Image
Dude, don't they mention that they knew it wasn't a real Arnold?

I don't know why some people are complaining about a free podcast that takes time and effort from all involved to make. I think the format works well and conversation flows pretty natural from topic to topic.
Some of you don't realize how good we have it here at the Geekbox, excellent audio quality, a forum and Ryan Higgins! But I guess you can't make everyone happy.
Lombaszko
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 3:53am
Location: Boston

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Dr Mrs The Monarch » May 29th, 2009 @ 8:47am

Lombaszko wrote:
IcarusII wrote:Oh, and while Terminator Salvation wasn't good, at least I was smart enough to tell if our governor of California could not have been as physically fit as his character was in the movie. It was cgi face manipulation on a body double, people. Have you seen Arnie lately? Hardly fit for the role.

Image
Dude, don't they mention that they knew it wasn't a real Arnold?

I don't know why some people are complaining about a free podcast that takes time and effort from all involved to make. I think the format works well and conversation flows pretty natural from topic to topic.
Some of you don't realize how good we have it here at the Geekbox, excellent audio quality, a forum and Ryan Higgins! But I guess you can't make everyone happy.


I DEMAND MY FREE THINGS ARE ALL THE SAME AND MY FREE THINGS NEED TO ALL MEET A CERTAIN LEVEL OF QUALITY AND STRUCTURE!

dude, if you like structure then go listen to those other podcast, i like this free flow thing because it actually feels like a conversation you might actually have with friends or do you demand your friends show up with a structured list of all topics they want to discuss along with source material? this isn't put out by some company with a quota, it's by a bunch of friends who have intelligent opinions on fun geeky things. get over yourself you podcast snob!

hearts
monarch
Dr Mrs The Monarch
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 10th, 2009 @ 9:44am

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby LiQuid » May 29th, 2009 @ 9:41am

IcarusII, if I give you a dollar, will you leave this forum and never listen to another Geekbox episode again as long as you live?
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Master Higgins » May 29th, 2009 @ 9:54am

IcarusII wrote:I wish this podcast had better structure, better information research, and a host that can host (so that transitions from topic to topic don't start with "uhhhhhh, so have you....?"). I don't listen to the Gamespy podcast, but if its anything like this, I don't think I'm missing anything. I don't mean to be rude, and I do like listening to some of the ideas and discussions between the people on this podcast, but without focus and form I wonder how long this ramshackle podcast can last. Back to RebelFM and the 1UP podcasts I go..


Maybe it got cut out in some of the original edits, but we make fun of Ryan for going "uhhhhhh, so have you....?" It's almost become the ongoing joke of the podcast. We also congratulate ourselves when we successfully segue into another topic.

IcarusII wrote:I think I might be an impetuous nerd. Discussing nerdy things with friends is fun because you can interject when someone is wrong or mistaken. Listening to a group of people being mistaken about a bunch of stuff through a pair of headphones? Not so fun.


We've been wrong about certain things we've said, but we try to correct ourselves in the talkback or on the next podcast. I came clean about having the wrong name for Elizabeth Mitchell's character on the V remake. Mistakes happen. If we're wrong about something, call us on it.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby AdamGS » May 29th, 2009 @ 12:05pm

I'm guessing this was the Green Lantern fan made trailer mentioned?

Looks fantastic.
Gamestyle - Our Word. Your Guide | Twitter |
Xbox Live - Adam1986 | PSN - MyNameIsAdam
AdamGS
User avatar
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Mar 15th, 2009 @ 4:01am
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, England

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Dr Mrs The Monarch » May 29th, 2009 @ 12:38pm

Brought to you by unemployment and boredom, I give you the first rough for the GEEKBOX COMIC! yeah you thought I was kidding...well I wasn't.

http://alilawrencerocks.deviantart.com/ ... -124126914

I based the art on the Scott Pilgrim series, which needs more people reading it damnit! I don't know if really will go any further then this with it but you never know.
Dr Mrs The Monarch
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 10th, 2009 @ 9:44am

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » May 29th, 2009 @ 5:33pm

hmmmm Ill join a forum purely to leave a message about how poor I think it is. Kinda pointless, dont ya think.

I like the structure of GB as it feels like it could be in a bar or round a friends house. I know there is a loose agenda but I dont want a point by point rigid cast.

If you dont like it. Get The Fuck Out.
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc
User avatar
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:35pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby IcarusII » May 30th, 2009 @ 3:56am

I appreciate the replies (especially Master Higgins') that attempted to remain civil in the face of my admittedly vehement post earlier regarding the quality of the podcast.

I realize this podcast is free. I realize that it takes time and work to put it together (no wonder it's weekly releases are so sporadic). But just because it is free doesn't mean I am not allowed to give my criticisms about it. When you put out a podcast, you asking for people to spend time to listen to it. People are busy, so the time spent listening to a podcast should be worthwhile, especially considering all the other enthusiast podcasts out there vying for your time and your diggs and iTunes votes.

Are my complaints invalid? I don't think they are. If I retract my complaints about structure, focus, and hosting, there's still the issue of poor information research and the constant spouting of erroneous and apocryphal info. As I said in my previous post I do appreciate the opinions and ideas of the people on the podcast and I do take note on the crew's interests, recommendations, and critiques of nerdy stuff, but there are times when the information passed along is so dubiously researched and vague that I end up disappointed in the podcast when I eventually search for the facts. You guys try so hard with the Lost facts, why not spread that effort across the other topics?

I did consider that I'm just not the audience this podcast was aiming for, but that can't be true if I like podcasts like RebelFM and A Life Well Wasted so much. I wouldn't pull punches when I talk about those podcasts, why would this one deserve better? And what I said here is nothing compared to the stuff thrown around at Neogaf about podcasts just like this one.

If you were given a free ticket to see a movie and it turned out to be crap, would you not criticize it for the time you spent?

So that's my rant. I'm done. Thanks for reading. I will gird myself for what comes next. And I didn't just join the forum just to complain, I have left positive comments and I do digg the podcast. I can't fully hate it (and I don't) it if it has members of the old EGM/1UP stuff.
IcarusII
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 2nd, 2009 @ 6:55pm

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby IcarusII » May 30th, 2009 @ 4:16am

LiQuid wrote:IcarusII, if I give you a dollar, will you leave this forum and never listen to another Geekbox episode again as long as you live?


I'll tell you what, the next time you disagree with someone else about anything on this forum and your opinion goes against the majority I'll jump in and ask you if I could pay you to leave.
IcarusII
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 2nd, 2009 @ 6:55pm

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Sokkratez » May 30th, 2009 @ 6:42am

Not everything's for you. I'm not saying you're right or that you're wrong, but... it obviously isn't for you. Just be okay with that, and everyone here will be happier. You especially, in the long run.
Sokkratez
User avatar
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:22pm

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » May 30th, 2009 @ 10:22am

AdamGS wrote:I'm guessing this was the Green Lantern fan made trailer mentioned?

Looks fantastic.


Even Fillion twittered about this...
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc
User avatar
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:35pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » May 30th, 2009 @ 10:31am

IcarusII wrote:I appreciate the replies (especially Master Higgins') that attempted to remain civil in the face of my admittedly vehement post earlier regarding the quality of the podcast.

I realize this podcast is free. I realize that it takes time and work to put it together (no wonder it's weekly releases are so sporadic). But just because it is free doesn't mean I am not allowed to give my criticisms about it. When you put out a podcast, you asking for people to spend time to listen to it. People are busy, so the time spent listening to a podcast should be worthwhile, especially considering all the other enthusiast podcasts out there vying for your time and your diggs and iTunes votes.

Are my complaints invalid? I don't think they are. If I retract my complaints about structure, focus, and hosting, there's still the issue of poor information research and the constant spouting of erroneous and apocryphal info. As I said in my previous post I do appreciate the opinions and ideas of the people on the podcast and I do take note on the crew's interests, recommendations, and critiques of nerdy stuff, but there are times when the information passed along is so dubiously researched and vague that I end up disappointed in the podcast when I eventually search for the facts. You guys try so hard with the Lost facts, why not spread that effort across the other topics?

I did consider that I'm just not the audience this podcast was aiming for, but that can't be true if I like podcasts like RebelFM and A Life Well Wasted so much. I wouldn't pull punches when I talk about those podcasts, why would this one deserve better? And what I said here is nothing compared to the stuff thrown around at Neogaf about podcasts just like this one.

If you were given a free ticket to see a movie and it turned out to be crap, would you not criticize it for the time you spent?

So that's my rant. I'm done. Thanks for reading. I will gird myself for what comes next. And I didn't just join the forum just to complain, I have left positive comments and I do digg the podcast. I can't fully hate it (and I don't) it if it has members of the old EGM/1UP stuff.


I dont consider GB an "industry" podcast. Its not aimed at soley games, TV or comics. Its a menagerie (I think I can get away with using that in this context) of subjects that enthuse the group.

If I did a podcast like this it would feature purely PS3, English/European Soccer (I will pander to the predominately North American crows here), Star Wars and comics.

This podcast isnt designed to break news on any topic. I had never heard of Burn Notice until I started listening to this show and I dont consider it a particularly geeky show but they mention it because they are passionate about it.

I would consider comics to be a staple part of any podcast but was shocked to hear Rydog say "comics are stupid" on this weeks episode. Maybe I missed the irony in that statement but it sounded like he meant it. Does it bother me that he isnt into comics? No. Will I slate him for it? No.

Its free, its easy listening and kills time whilst commuting to work.

Kick back, relax and either listen along or dont. I dont think Ryan is the kind of guy to pander to our needs as he is comfortable with the format.

I guess Im saying, dont take it so seriously.
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc
User avatar
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:35pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby AJR » May 30th, 2009 @ 10:50am

You know, with all this talk about how Batman should be grounded, I can’t help but think about how Batman: Brave and the Bold is probably my favourite current show right now. I mean, if you were to ask me a year ago whether or not Batman should be fighting aliens, I’d definitely say no. But now? That’s all I want. I want Batman teaming up with lesser known superheroes and beating the crap out of aliens.

Oh, and IcarusII: You have every right to complain. But man, as much as I like listening to really well structured podcasts, I like the looser feel of geekbox. I'm actually really glad it's the way it is. It feels like something different to the other podcasts I listen to during the week, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR
User avatar
 
Posts: 190
Joined: May 3rd, 2009 @ 10:48pm
Location: A MAGICAL LAND OF CANDY AND SUNSHINE!

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Dr Mrs The Monarch » May 30th, 2009 @ 2:58pm

AJR wrote:You know, with all this talk about how Batman should be grounded, I can’t help but think about how Batman: Brave and the Bold is probably my favourite current show right now. I mean, if you were to ask me a year ago whether or not Batman should be fighting aliens, I’d definitely say no. But now? That’s all I want. I want Batman teaming up with lesser known superheroes and beating the crap out of aliens.


The other day I saw an episode of Brave and the Bold with Batman fighting giant turtles. I then twittered 'just watch batman fight giant turtles, this worries me' shortly after my friend replayed with the comment 'I would be more worried if batman wasn't fighting the giant turtles.'

Moral of the story...Someone has to fight the giant turtles, might as well be Batman.

the end
Dr Mrs The Monarch
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 10th, 2009 @ 9:44am

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby KindGalaxy » May 31st, 2009 @ 3:50am

Brave and the Bold was my code word for Bold and the Beautiful amongst fellow viewers of the soapy... ANYWAY!
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy
User avatar
 
Posts: 3753
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:01pm
Location: Australia

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 4th, 2009 @ 10:26am

IcarusII wrote: there's still the issue of poor information research and the constant spouting of erroneous and apocryphal info. As I said in my previous post I do appreciate the opinions and ideas of the people on the podcast and I do take note on the crew's interests, recommendations, and critiques of nerdy stuff, but there are times when the information passed along is so dubiously researched and vague that I end up disappointed in the podcast when I eventually search for the facts. You guys try so hard with the Lost facts, why not spread that effort across the other topics?

I did consider that I'm just not the audience this podcast was aiming for, but that can't be true if I like podcasts like RebelFM and A Life Well Wasted so much. I wouldn't pull punches when I talk about those podcasts, why would this one deserve better? And what I said here is nothing compared to the stuff thrown around at Neogaf about podcasts just like this one.


So you complain about the bad information given on Geekbox but you don't have a problem with RebelFM which is much worse not only in terms of information but entertainment.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 8th, 2009 @ 1:46pm

Terminator Salvation is not as bad as they were saying on the podcast, its a million times better than T3.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: The Geekbox RAW EDITION: Episode 17

Postby IcarusII » Jun 10th, 2009 @ 10:23pm

Mr_eX wrote:
IcarusII wrote:


So you complain about the bad information given on Geekbox but you don't have a problem with RebelFM which is much worse not only in terms of information but entertainment.


I won't comment on the entertainment part because that is subjective, but I don't think RebelFM is shoddy when it comes to correct information; at most they are on par with most podcasts.
IcarusII
 
Posts: 50
Joined: May 2nd, 2009 @ 6:55pm

Next
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron