Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 19

Postby Rydog » Jun 17th, 2009 @ 11:28pm

Check out the newest episode right here. Don't forget to review, and Digg until you hit the Earth's core. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 19

Postby KindGalaxy » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 1:53am

The RAW editions are really good, and I'm guessing saves you guys some time processing so there does not appear to be a negative to this arrangement, carry on. :ugeek:
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby Xorn » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 1:57am

I've never noticed your editing before you really mentioned it in the first "Raw" episode. So, in reality, to me the only difference between raw shows and edited ones was the delay in publishing which editing created. So I suppose "Rawcasts" are considerably better.
----
I am an inveterate presence on the internet. A protogeek - I travel the cosmos in search of new and exciting comic books, video games and anime series: a notion which is both strange and intriguing.
Xorn

Postby Sokkratez » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 1:59am

Karen, I have a similar dilemma with my name. I thought about switching to my real name, especially since I've been doing writing on my blog for just over a year and a half, but frankly, I'm more used to my screen name than I am my real name. I started using it about 12 years ago, hence the spelling (I was... 12), but I've kept it. This is just how most people that I know know me. The spelling is regrettable at times, but if people can't get over it, I don't need them. Switching at this point would just be weird.

edit: Check out MediaMonkey for iPod management. I used it when I had a first gen Nano (one that I found), because I absolutely hate iTunes and all of the bloat that comes with it. I've since shed the iPod entirely and am using a Zune now, though. That software's great.
Sokkratez

Postby bayfield » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 9:14am

Sokkratez wrote:Check out MediaMonkey for iPod management. I used it when I had a first gen Nano (one that I found), because I absolutely hate iTunes and all of the bloat that comes with it. I've since shed the iPod entirely and am using a Zune now, though. That software's great.

I'm checking this out now as an alternative to iTunes, because much like the Geekbox hates iTunes, it's the bane of my Windows Task Manager (and Existence.)

Being a programmer is annoying because I know how well software can be written and I see all this production software that is following the whole 'memory is cheap + processors are fast' mentality... ugh. I still use Winamp every day, v2.95.

:ugeek:
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield

Postby Lord Korax » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 12:30pm

I've never had too many problems with iTunes, performance- or management-wise. But there is a WinAmp for iPods. It's called WinAmp. Works with pretty much everything but the Touch/iPhone.
Lord Korax

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 12:50pm

Ted Raimi is in Drag Me to Hell....
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Luminari » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 2:56pm

I'm a 32 year old male with degrees in Biology, Chemistry, and Theatre. Graduate studies in Molecular Biology and Film. I ingest media however I can: literature, film, television, "interactive media," comic books. I'll go to opening day of "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" or "Ma Vie En Rose." My only point for all this seemingly adventitious information is to try to establish I'm not a child or naieve to storytelling or art...or that my opinion is based only from a "precious childhood memory." I do not "hate" Bay's "Transformer's," and I acknowledge what "needed" to be given to a summer blockbuster audience. But I am absolutely fatigued at the supposed sophomoric nature of the 80's cartoon. Many (indeed, not all) episodes of the Sunbow cartoon and issues of the Marvel comic are more sophsticated and "deep" than "Bay's" film despite its sometimes overwrought moments (especially overwrought compared to the depths explored in a 26 minuted animated episode). Granted, it was a serialized television show, but even the 90-minute 3-part launch of the show has deeper characterization than the film. I think this is the grievance many fans possess. The action and effects were top-notch for todays standards (though I'm not the biggest advocate of Bay's constant business in frame or movement of camera as the pinnacle of Action cinematography), but even those who don't own a DVD set of the cartoon knows characters were more realized and felt less paste board / cookie-cutter than the film.
In regards to the gem of "Drag Me To Hell," I felt then "end" or something very similar to it was telegraphed some way off. This is the definition of a Horror film and Raimi knows it, despite the fun ride we are takken on. In the vain attempt to not ruin the "end" on these boards, anything thematically different from how it ends would essentially make it a "Fantasy" film and not a "Horror" film.
Luminari

Postby Luminari » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

And...in regards to iTunes...I use it on both Mac and PC...considering I update regularly...I have very few technical problems or issues running it on my set-ups or with other programs...not that turn me away from using it. Certain iterations, after an upgrade to a new version have had a few troublesome issues, but I've felt they've been corrected quickly to my satisfaction. Even though I use Torq to Dj I keep iTunes running to better scan my library and nothing gltiches or causes a gap or glitch in my sets.
Luminari

Postby jensemann » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 4:10pm

Well
I is this podcast trying to force me to always write to an essay on some historical nonsense.
Mr Fitch, it might be that the Island Great Britain has not part of the European mainland for the last 8,000 years but to say that it is not part of Europe because it was defending itself against the european hordes is just hilarious.
Fist the Great Britain(England, Scotland, Wales, they lost Ireland[the island not the nation] about 9,000 years ago)'s early inhabitants the Britons related to the french Gaulish have been a celtics like the rest of the european hordes.
Then they have been invaded by the european hordes again three or four times.
Between 43 and 400 something AD the romans controlled Britain. (They invaded the place by the way)
Then about 450 the anglo-saxons arrived in britain but good defeated in the battle of mount badon in 495 retreated but settled finally in the 7th century in southwest of England.
After that in the viking attacks in the 9th century.
And finally the the norman conquest that resulted in the french William (or Guillaume) of Normandy taking the throne of the England in 1066 AD.
Well so much for the they haven't been invaded.
But the Brits have one very specific talent even if the get invaded the will just get over it and make the best of it.
I think Terry Pratchett made ones a really good analogy within his fictional example society. I am paraphrasing: Ank-Morpork has never been invaded. In fact it was invaded numerous times. But when the invaders arrived the city opened all its doors and praised the new arrivers. And after a few days the invaders realized that there were not even owning there horses anymore and became just another minority with there own food shops and graffiti.

Cheers
Jensemann
jensemann

Postby metal_rader » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 4:47pm

I love it Raw.

I am now inspired to get my license.
metal_rader

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 18th, 2009 @ 6:43pm

Mr_eX wrote:Ted Raimi is in Drag Me to Hell....

He is?

Woah, he's listed as "The Doctor". Huh. I didn't see him on the main page of IMDB, assumed he wasn't in it. I don't remember a "doctor." What scene was he in?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Jun 19th, 2009 @ 12:55am

He was in the scene you MISSED! I can't blame you though, did you eat movie theater popcorn? That stuff gives me epic runs. I missed five minutes of Transformers because of it once, and that movie runs along damn fast. I missed the Grandma scene.

I think in lieu of any new Fitch Hitch updates, Hitch should tell stories of his efforts at sarging; he read The Game, after all, I want stories and tips from the master.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby jdmonmou » Jun 19th, 2009 @ 9:45am

There is an alternative to itunes for file transfers to and from your ipod. It's called Sharepod.
http://www.getsharepod.com/
jdmonmou

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 19th, 2009 @ 10:56am

Master Higgins wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Ted Raimi is in Drag Me to Hell....

He is?

Woah, he's listed as "The Doctor". Huh. I didn't see him on the main page of IMDB, assumed he wasn't in it. I don't remember a "doctor." What scene was he in?

He's in the scene where the main character first starts seeing stuff and gets knocked out. You don't actually see him but you hear him talking to the boyfriend.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Luminari » Jun 19th, 2009 @ 1:28pm

You can quickly see the back of his head...in a reflection Lohman sees
Luminari

Postby kenzo » Jun 19th, 2009 @ 4:46pm

Fantastic!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby Big Pick Zel » Jun 19th, 2009 @ 6:15pm

Fitch is doing the UK a favor by disconnecting it from Europe. Europe is filled with cigarette smoking pussies who replaced their monarchies with broken versions of Marxism. The UK is filled with... British people who... like stuff?
Classic vampires are just zombies with more Satan in them.
http://www.cryptocartographer.com
Big Pick Zel

Postby Hellsfire » Jun 20th, 2009 @ 2:31am

I got a segment name for Karen's driving. How bout Chu's Cruise or Cruisin' with Chu?

Also, iTunes does suck but when you have a podcast, it represents a huge chunk of your listeners.
Hellsfire

Postby Shabadage » Jun 20th, 2009 @ 12:38pm

In regards to Karen's comment about alias's. My current username is the name I've been using for 12+ years. If I try to sign up somewhere and this name is taken, I know I've already signed up at that site. It's actually quite handy.

However, when dealing with RL stuff, work, school, etc, I use my "normal" name. Well almost. There's apparently an Irish DJ who's name matches my own, so I have to add an extra letter in there.
Shabadage

Postby DerBonk » Jun 21st, 2009 @ 12:39am

Whoa guys, I'm not sure Mr. Fitch was being all THAT serious about it. And as ka British guy or girl, I bet a lot of them would like to be called British first and European second (if at all). In the end, Europe or Asia are both somewhat arbitrary labels, just try to find the exact borders of the the continent Europe and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway: about that nickname-real name situation:

Every time I sign up for something, I think about that as well. However, I like at least a bit of anonymity sometimes. My compromise was to choose a username that is somewhat similar to my real name and if you know me, you can figure out that it's me, but if you're just a stranger, it's just another nickname. Works quite well so far.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby cobble » Jun 21st, 2009 @ 4:17am

As a well travelled American (12 Years in the navy, 67 countries total) I don't mentally connect someone who is europrean with someone who is British. Goes for Irish and Scottish as well. They don't really fall into the European tag (Even though physically they are)

I could be very very wrong about it since I have always been overseas as a visitor, but thats how it seemed to me.
life is a tragedy for those who feel & a comedy for those who think
cobble

Postby kenzo » Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 4:56am

Fantastic!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby jensemann » Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 3:46pm

Who's serious here. I just wrote 311 words. If I be serious, I'll be still writing. I am just having fun. And I also want to point out that I do not think Fitch is ignorant. If I think how much I know about any country that is more then 1000 miles in any direction I have to ask myself if I ever read any history book.
I think it is always easy if you have experience in a certain field. But who is good in everything. For example alway when I heard J Parish or S Bettenhausen (And all the other knowledgeable members of this odd profession ;) talking about the NES era I just started to see my nerd credentials fading.
So I was just looking for such a opportunity. You might called it knowledge trolling.

Yours (bow)
Jensemann
jensemann

Postby kenzo » Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 6:09pm

Fantastic!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby theharleyquin » Jun 24th, 2009 @ 6:19am

The raw format is great, especially if it decreases the posting-time of episodes. Especially how in this episode with the fatty discussions in the beginning, I think that would have been cut out if it wasn't raw. The "awkwardness" of Ryan trying to get the podcast back on track was hilarious, especially with Master Higgins fat-fuck comment.
theharleyquin

Postby RTTastic » Jun 25th, 2009 @ 10:44am

Two things about this episode. (I'm a little late, I know).

1. I use Zune! I know there are only like...5 of us in the world, but we do exist! :) I love my zune, and the "issues" that have come up with it have been minor and have not afffected me at all really, so....blah to those who dog on Zune. Plus, the Zune Marketplace is where I download this podcast!

2. There ARE Fry's locations in the more easternly states (I'm not sure about the coast) but there is a Fry's in the Chicagoland area in IL. I had an ex that worked there for....about a day. He was so excited when he found out that it was opening and then fell quickly out of love with the place. And one of my friends was just angry that they didn't take american express....whatev.

Ok, off to continue my LONG DRIVE from SC to IL and listen to the episode that was put up ....TODAY! :)
RTTastic

Postby Big Pick Zel » Jun 25th, 2009 @ 6:39pm

RTTastic wrote:There ARE Fry's locations in the more easternly states (I'm not sure about the coast)

Not here in New England. All we have are long winters and sadness.
Classic vampires are just zombies with more Satan in them.
http://www.cryptocartographer.com
Big Pick Zel

Forum Statistics