Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 21

Postby Rydog » Jun 30th, 2009 @ 10:08am

Episode 21 is up -- you can get it right here. Big news this week: We're being sneaky and play matchmakers behind Andrew Fitch's back while he's vacationing in the UK. Listen to the podcast for the full details, but in short, you just might win a date with Fitch if you e-mail winadatewithfitch at geekbox.net and let us know why you'd want to go out with him. Creativity encouraged!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 21

Postby UrbanPing » Jun 30th, 2009 @ 12:53pm

Oh, too bad Fitch doesn't live in the Seattle area. I know plenty of available, wonderful, attractive, geeky girls over 25, but there should be plenty in the Bay Area. Good luck with the search!
Nom nom nom.
UrbanPing

Postby PandaEskimo » Jun 30th, 2009 @ 2:14pm

Really?
PandaEskimo

Postby Callan » Jun 30th, 2009 @ 2:29pm

Hell yeah!
Sent from my TI-83.
Callan

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 30th, 2009 @ 5:19pm

Ha ha, you guys mentioned OLDBOY without me or Karen there! Nice...

It is one of my favorite COREAN movies (not Japanese, Rydog!), right up there with My Sassy Girl, Beat, and Shiri.

Hey, "Tranformers: Animated" is a good series, don't knock it, fuckers!!!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jun 30th, 2009 @ 6:48pm

Fantastic!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jun 30th, 2009 @ 7:09pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Ha ha, you guys mentioned OLDBOY without me or Karen there! Nice...

It is one of my favorite COREAN movies (not Japanese, Rydog!), right up there with My Sassy Girl, Beat, and Shiri.

Oldboy is a Korean film, but that film was based off a Japanese comic. The new Denzel film will be based off the comic and not the Korean film.

Apparently Spielberg wants to make an American Oldboy with Will Smith... they seem to be having some trouble getting the rights, because the Korean company that made the original film claim they have all the film rights.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby dXodus » Jun 30th, 2009 @ 8:38pm

Comic worth reading? dam fitch is going to be umm whats the word agitated good luck hooking that guy up but u think you can find someone that he wont dismiss straight up.... I mean he himself admits and its obious that he is a picky dude goodluck guys ill try to post more but I always hear the show guys!!
GAmertag & PSN ID is same dXodus
dXodus

Postby DarthEnder » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 12:39am

I gotta tell ya. Generally, I love the Geekbox.

But lately, I'm really hitting critical mass with this Fitch dating crap.

It's just soooo boring...

Sorry, I'm sure it's got a bunch of fans, I've really lost my patience with it.
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 12:49am

Fantastic!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby Sokkratez » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 2:57am

kenzo wrote:American distributors are too scared that Americans on average are too lazy to read subtitles.

That's because they totally are :(
Sokkratez

Postby Blueblur1 » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 8:05am

Great episode! The Fitch dating stuff is pretty funny most of the time. While it isn't always great to listen to (like another user posted above), it was great this time around. And Fitch himself is so socially awkward that I can't help but enjoy listening to his odd anecdotes and opinions.
Blueblur1

Postby enemy » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 8:38am

Oldboy is an awesome movie, and definitely worth it if you get a chance to see it.

I have to disagree with Master Higgins unfortunately, as I thought Transformers was pretty bad -mostly because you can't tell what's happening half the times. I shouldn't have to see a movie multiple times so I can "focus on the action". I still respect your opinion, but I can see why the critics hate it.

BTW, this is the funniest review of the movie I've seen yet (may contain spoilers):
http://io9.com/5301898/michael-bay-fina ... -art-movie
InternalBleeding.net | XBL: thefasterblade | PSN: killcrashdestroy | twitter
enemy

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 8:47am

Yeah, that io9 review is awesome.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Jehlro » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 8:55am

Anyone else not able download the show through the direct download link?
Jehlro

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 12:02pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Ha ha, you guys mentioned OLDBOY without me or Karen there! Nice...

Oldboy is a Korean film, but that film was based off a Japanese comic. The new Denzel film will be based off the comic and not the Korean film.

I am aware of both, friend. And I will be the first to say it: the new American remake of OLDBOY will suck, given the track record of Asian films being brought to a US audience that is unable or unwilling to understand the cultural differences between them and fail to make the necessary edits/changes, opting instead for a more "Hollywood" veneer.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 12:14pm

kenzo wrote:
darfox8 wrote:Apparently Spielberg wants to make an American Oldboy with Will Smith... they seem to be having some trouble getting the rights, because the Korean company that made the original film claim they have all the film rights.

Oops. I'm mixing up my Black actors again... Regardless, I'm kind of tired of American studios making knockoffs of Asian films (or any foreign films for that matter) and then reaping all the credit. Those movies stand on their own, but American distributors are too scared that Americans on average are too lazy to read subtitles.

I agree completely, friend.

Example #1: "The Departed" wins Best Picture and Martin Scorsese wins Best Director for "The Departed," yet makes little reference or gratitude for the original source material, "Infernal Affairs," from Hong Kong, which, in my opinion, is a thoroughly more enjoyable film.

Example #2: "My Sassy Girl" is one of Korea's most popular films, becoming a truly pan-Asian blockbuster. The American remake starring Elisha Cuthbert is a steaming pile that only lifts the visual gags from the orginal film's most memorable scenes without any understanding of the source material's appeal.

Don't misunderstand: I'm not a pro-Asian fanboy, hating on Hollywood remakes. I'm just not a fan of poorly made films that pay no attention to the source material and hold no understanding for it, thereby changing it to make it "safe" for mainstream America, to a point beyond recognition.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby darfox8 » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 3:05pm

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:Oops. I'm mixing up my Black actors again... Regardless, I'm kind of tired of American studios making knockoffs of Asian films (or any foreign films for that matter) and then reaping all the credit. Those movies stand on their own, but American distributors are too scared that Americans on average are too lazy to read subtitles.

I agree completely, friend.

Example #1: "The Departed" wins Best Picture and Martin Scorsese wins Best Director for "The Departed," yet makes little reference or gratitude for the original source material, "Infernal Affairs," from Hong Kong, which, in my opinion, is a thoroughly more enjoyable film.

Example #2: "My Sassy Girl" is one of Korea's most popular films, becoming a truly pan-Asian blockbuster. The American remake starring Elisha Cuthbert is a steaming pile that only lifts the visual gags from the orginal film's most memorable scenes without any understanding of the source material's appeal.

Don't misunderstand: I'm not a pro-Asian fanboy, hating on Hollywood remakes. I'm just not a fan of poorly made films that pay no attention to the source material and hold no understanding for it, thereby changing it to make it "safe" for mainstream America, to a point beyond recognition.

I don't disagree but Spielberg is a beast at making enjoyable films(you don't need me to state that). And the R rated films he has made have never been gross or anything like Roth. Aside from not giving credit to the original material(which is obviously not Kosher) I don't mind an American film as long as it's good.

In an ideal world, when these movies are released on DVD they should come in a super pack with the western film, the Korean film, and the whole Manga collection. It'll probably cost like $250 but it's the only way to give real service to the material. Would it of made such a huge difference it Scorsese droped the five words "Thanks to the original filmakers"? Of course he should of done that but it's not like the film would of been so much better if he was a "huge fan" and constantly let everyone know.

Speaking of Asian films does anyone know anything about "Shinjuku Incident". It's suppose to be one of Jackie Chans serious films. But unlike New Police story it's not trying to shove that into a long established franchise.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby Namco » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 4:03pm

Whoa. That Tom is on the podcast now... my mind is totally blown. So much crossover between my favorite podcasts now.
Namco

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 4:46pm

darfox8 wrote:In an ideal world, when these movies are released on DVD they should come in a super pack with the western film, the Korean film, and the whole Manga collection. It'll probably cost like $250 but it's the only way to give real service to the material. Would it of made such a huge difference it Scorsese droped the five words "Thanks to the original filmakers"? Of course he should of done that but it's not like the film would of been so much better if he was a "huge fan" and constantly let everyone know.

Speaking of Asian films does anyone know anything about "Shinjuku Incident". It's suppose to be one of Jackie Chans serious films. But unlike New Police story it's not trying to shove that into a long established franchise.

I disagree. I don't want all that extra stuff. I'll purchase what I want to purchase, endorse what I want to endorse, and ignore what I want to ignore. A simple mention of the source material on the DVD commentary or a informative feature under the Special features menu would suffice. I suppose the good that comes out of the "Americanization" of Asian works is greater appreciation of the source material.

Shinjuku Incident is quite good, provided you are tired of Jackie Chan as the consummate action star and want to see him flex his dramatic acting chops.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby darfox8 » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 6:25pm

Well yeah, I don't want every single product to be bundled with every single other product that remotely relates to it. I just think that in an ideal world, if you love anyone of the incarnation of a certain story, you should have the option to easily find all the version and see all the different takes on it.

Of course it is 2009 and if I don't mention this someone will quote my post and paste a link to amazon. But it's often not that simple to find all of the incarnations. And my whole point was that it's not necessary to parade around the former versions of the work to justify your current version. They should only acknowledge where it came from and go do their own thing. Whatever, I think I'm arguing with my self now.

Also, I do want to see Jackie Chan do other things besides action,(he is pretty damn old now) but as a fan I didn't appreciate him sticking such dramatic elements into the fifth Police Story. I'm extremely ignorant about the Beatles but I think I get what happen with Yoko. Follow me on this one. That one Beatle... Hatsworth thought she was a genius and decided to put her into one of the regular albums and that distorted everything. When it would of been fine if they just made alittle side Album with all that crap. Whether or not this history is accurate or not I think my analogy makes perfect sense!!!!... If Jackie Chan(which I'm a huge fan of, Drunken Master 4EVA) wants to make a dramatic film he shouldn't try and fool his old fans to watching it by trying to rebrand Police Story. And that, is how they say, is that.
darfox8

Postby Sir_Hood » Jul 2nd, 2009 @ 8:31pm

When listening to an episode of Geekbox in public using headphones people will look strangely at you when you burst out in laughter...

I would first like to thank the geekbox crew for introducing me to Burn Notice, :D which I love! And for not talking just about videogames (we have a gazillion other podcasts for that).

I come from Norway, and much thanks to Burn Notice and indirectly the Geekbox crew I am in Miami. However I can't seem to find a comic book store, so if anyone know what the nearest comic book store would be in South Beach I would appreciate it!

I thought all the cool kids were in South Beach and no comic book store, no GameStop... no nothing... :cry:

Anyways love the segments about FitchHitch!

Go crew and again thanks for bringing me the podcast of my week every week! =)
Sir_Hood

Postby Jailem » Jul 2nd, 2009 @ 10:06pm

It's quite obvious to me that the reason that Karen always ignored you is, she was practicing her Walmart entrance. The greeters there are vicious, and you really have to practice if you are going to ignore them properly.
Jailem

Postby Pele » Jul 3rd, 2009 @ 6:59am

tom, susie = awesome
Pele

Postby Excellent_Choice » Jul 4th, 2009 @ 12:59am

so im not one of the fitch haters, but i gotta say: come on people, first 30 minutes all talk of fitch?? fitch hitch, win a date blah blah. we get it, the man is socially awkward. its obvious you all love that guy, but didnt your mammas ever tell you its not nice to talk about someone when theyre not there? ive heard only hookers and fat people do that stuff.

either way i still listened to the whole podcast, its all good playas. burn notice was sweet im gonna super glue my roommate into his room and see if it really works, and ive had enough of moon bloodgood, she should be boxed up and sent back to whatever place she came from with that smooth hipster name.....i think it was narnia.

this is a formal request to please limit the fitch banter to 10-15 minutes each cast, and seriously ..... nobody played ghostbusters yet?

that having been said; They were both poisoned, I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder. fyi.
Last edited by Excellent_Choice on Jul 4th, 2009 @ 8:21am, edited 3 times in total.
Excellent_Choice

Postby casuallyhardcore » Jul 4th, 2009 @ 4:01am

The fitch hitch stuff is great either it'll pay of well for the guy or it'll end up as comedy for the rest of us. It's win-win!
Male & Female Video Game Inspired Clothing - Only at http://www.casuallyhardcore.net
casuallyhardcore

Postby RTTastic » Jul 4th, 2009 @ 5:19am

I'm just checkin in.

To the haters: I LOVE the fitch hitch sections. ;) Though, i will say that people repeating themselves (or people sitting right next to them) more than 3 times gets on my nerves about any subject.

Other than that, I'm currently listening to the episode on my way home from Chicago....fun times. It's good to have geeks to talk in my ears to keep me awake. :)
RTTastic

Postby Primordial » Jul 4th, 2009 @ 10:06am

As someone who doesn't watch Burn Notice (I don't know if that even shows here) or Lost or reads comics and yet for some reason listens to the podcast each week, I must say having Tom and Susie on to talk about old times and jollities had at Ziff was just the sort of stuff I like to hear and I thank you all for it.

In terms of Fitch hitch, if that interview with Bonnie Pink is anything to go by, another thing Fitch can do for any lucky ladies out there is serenade you whilst on a romantic pedalo trip.

Also, ‘Karen’s Car Quest’.
That is all.
Primordial

Postby RTTastic » Jul 4th, 2009 @ 6:14pm

BAH! I can't find the bonnie pink fitch interview. :(
RTTastic

Postby Namco » Jul 5th, 2009 @ 10:01am

Excellent_Choice wrote:so im not one of the fitch haters, but i gotta say: come on people, first 30 minutes all talk of fitch?? fitch hitch, win a date blah blah. we get it, the man is socially awkward. its obvious you all love that guy, but didnt your mammas ever tell you its not nice to talk about someone when theyre not there? ive heard only hookers and fat people do that stuff.

either way i still listened to the whole podcast, its all good playas. burn notice was sweet im gonna super glue my roommate into his room and see if it really works, and ive had enough of moon bloodgood, she should be boxed up and sent back to whatever place she came from with that smooth hipster name.....i think it was narnia.

this is a formal request to please limit the fitch banter to 10-15 minutes each cast, and seriously ..... nobody played ghostbusters yet?

that having been said; They were both poisoned, I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder. fyi.

Last edited by Excellent_Choice on July 4th, 2009 @ 8:21am, edited 3 times in total.

LOLZ
Namco

Next
Forum Statistics