Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: Forum Suggestions - Post them here!

Postby Dan » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 3:42am

I would like to see Mr Ford and Mr Fitch post here :)
XBL/PSN Gamertag: DV27
Dan

Postby Dan » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 4:22am

oooh. Waynes World type worship from me if Mr Green turns up here :)
XBL/PSN Gamertag: DV27
Dan

Postby LiQuid » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 9:42am

Seconding the General Discussion forum.

I haven't really seen any need to heavily moderate anybody around here so far though. I'm not too worried.
LiQuid

Postby James-Kond » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 10:29am

Yeah, General or 'off-topic' would be nice, also, Music anyone?
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby LiQuid » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 10:37am

Could just lump that in the off topic section. Generally speaking, music isn't "geeky" enough to warrant it's own forum IMO. :)
LiQuid

Postby KaL » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 10:43am

Geekbox Game-Night subforum for the games section?
KaL

Postby LiQuid » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 1:14pm

VultureOfCulture wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Could just lump that in the off topic section. Generally speaking, music isn't "geeky" enough to warrant it's own forum IMO. :)

You don't know me, then. :P

Hey, I never said it wasn't possible to "be geeky about music" music just isn't one of those things that a lot of people associate with nerd culture like games and comics and stuff. :)
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 1:20pm

Well don't let me dissuade you from the good fight man. I'm not trying to win debate club here!
LiQuid

Postby Rueler » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 2:48pm

How about a general books section instead of just comics? And maybe we could use the podcast section to talk about any podcast we listen to?
Rueler

Postby BinaryMind » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 11:45pm

Rueler wrote:How about a general books section instead of just comics?
You mean Geek Books (Comics/Sci-fi/Fantasy, etc.) right? Once we start bringing in Opera's picks we've officially lost our geek status.
BinaryMind

Postby Melvilles Fist » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Love the forums so far.

Could we get some link that say "Last post by..." and then the forum member name? When we click it, it will jump to the latest post. Kinda tedious to scroll, scroll, scroll.

Thanks, guys!
Adam .:. We are Legion! .:. The Legion of Dudes Podcast
Melvilles Fist

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 2:46am

Nothing to suggest. This is a geek message board... let's stay geeks! Geeks <3 Games, Comics and TV. Actually... I PM'ed Ryan Scott the day the boards went live asking for a music and off topic board and he professed his disdain for off topic boards so... yeah, I think he's right. Off Topic so we can... talk about NFL and boobs... both things are what geeks will never experience (had to make the joke).
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 6:49am

I PM'ed Ryan Scott as well, inquiring about an off topic forum, and got the same disdain as KindGalaxy.

I think an off topic forum is worth a shot. Comic, games, television and movies... these are all things geeks love, but they're not the only things, and not all geeks even love all those things. There are geeks who love sports (if you don't think fantasy sports is a geeky past time, please, its role playing). There are geeks who love all manner of books, not just those found in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Manga/Graphic Novel section at the bookstore. And what geek doesn't love the newest electronics and gadgets? Where can these things be discussed?

I think these forums have been great so far, but the true test of civility on the internets is an off topic forum. Can the Geekbox community make one work?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Mechar » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 4:43am

I think it would be good to expand the profiles with a biography section. Right now it feels kinda empty as if there´s a huge gap missing in the "Contact" section. And it would also make it a lot more interesting.

It would also be cool to have different titles or ranks like Ryan has ("Hell yeah!"). But so far the boards are awesome!
What a horrible night to have a curse.
Mechar

Postby Rydog » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 12:18pm

Great thread, guys -- thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely monitor this thread for good ideas. :) I've also stickied this thread for now.

Some specific things:

James-Kond wrote:Yeah, General or 'off-topic' would be nice, also, Music anyone?

If I see enough rabid demand for this stuff, maaaaaaaaaybe. I'm REALLY hesitant to delve into 'Off-topic' territory, because those types of subforums are always total train wrecks in my experience (anyone remember 1UP Non-Gaming Related?), and I'm not interested in moderating the frequent flame wars that I know they'll provoke. I've also always been of the mind that people patronize a forum to talk about the specific subject matter at hand, and 'Off-topic' flies in the face of that.

Melvilles Fist wrote:Love the forums so far.

Could we get some link that say "Last post by..." and then the forum member name? When we click it, it will jump to the latest post. Kinda tedious to scroll, scroll, scroll.

Thanks, guys!

There actually is a little icon next to the newest poster's name to the right of each topic in the forum. You can click that to go to the latest post. It's probably not very obvious; just a quirk of the theme I'm using. I'm sure I'll get around to changing some of the stock images at some point.

Mechar wrote:I think it would be good to expand the profiles with a biography section. Right now it feels kinda empty as if there´s a huge gap missing in the "Contact" section. And it would also make it a lot more interesting.

It would also be cool to have different titles or ranks like Ryan has ("Hell yeah!"). But so far the boards are awesome!

I just added in fields for profile, XBLA Gamertag, PSN User ID, Wii Friend Code, and Steam ID -- enjoy! And, yeah, I'd like to implement some fun ranks that are controlled by total post counts. I just need to come up with a creative theme for them. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby James-Kond » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 2:10pm

Pele Merengue wrote:The only people posting around here seem to be humble, well-behaved geeks. :geek:

Till Geekbox gets discovers by Kevin Rose and twitters about it, be afraid..
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby Thatguyscott » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 3:12pm

I'd second the 'off-topic' forum idea. But in order to stop it degenerating into a mess, make it so members cannot make new topic and just have set topics such as Books, Sports, Music, etc. It'd be easier to moderate atleast.
Thatguyscott

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 3:38pm

The lack of General Disc / off-topic is something I've been liking ;)
Sokkratez

Postby Rueler » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 3:57pm

Rydog wrote:I'm REALLY hesitant to delve into 'Off-topic' territory, because those types of subforums are always total train wrecks in my experience (anyone remember 1UP Non-Gaming Related?), and I'm not interested in moderating the frequent flame wars that I know they'll provoke.

I'm sure you could find people willing to moderate, if you were worried about spending too much time yourself...
Rueler

Postby Jaconius » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 5:11pm

Sokkratez wrote:The lack of General Disc / off-topic is something I've been liking ;)

I second this.
Jaconius

Postby Rosered » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 2:18pm

Yeah, I'd really like to see some kind of "other media" section for stuff like music and books to fall under.
Rosered

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 3:27pm

I don't think it's much of a stretch to talk about books in "comics" and music in "movies".
Sokkratez

Postby Jeku » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 11:15pm

There actually is a little icon next to the newest poster's name to the right of each topic in the forum. You can click that to go to the latest post.

Yes, thank you! That was the only thing I felt missing from these forums so far.
Jeku
Geekbox VIP

Postby rockintomordor » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 9:12am

Jaconius wrote:
Sokkratez wrote:The lack of General Disc / off-topic is something I've been liking ;)

I second this.

And I third this!
rockintomordor

Postby Harry MacKenzie » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 11:45am

An off-topic/general discussion forum would be great. I post often at another gaming forum and the general discussion is usually the most active part of the site. Other suggestions, it would be cool if you could create polls.
Harry MacKenzie

Postby mtcantor » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 11:49am

Off topic general forum would be fantastic. Some place to have political discussions could be interesting, as long as there is a no-Hitler ban in place...
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 3:47pm

I pooped a little when I read "political discussions".
Sokkratez

Postby mtcantor » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 3:58pm

Sokkratez wrote:I pooped a little when I read "political discussions".

ha, I don't really know if thats a good thing or not... but hey... at least I made an impact.
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby LiQuid » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 9:46am

I still vote Yes for off topic, but NONONONONONONONO for political discussion.

Politics and religion should both just be banned from the internets.
LiQuid

Postby mtcantor » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 10:13am

See, as long as the forums are properly moderated, and people are reprimanded for being dicks to each other, then no topic should be "banned". As long as people have informed things to say on a subject, then they should be encouraged to add to the community dialogue.

Politics in general is a very "geeky" subject, with a good amount of carryover into the gaming community. It would be sad if this community shied away from it. Maybe a separate off topic forum just called "News and Politics" or something like that.

All that you are really implying is that people get too passionate about these subjects, and their level of rhetoric can become too severe, leading to other people getting offended, so just establish base rules in those forums for civilized discussion. As long as you can get a good moderator to do the job, I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

Then again, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
mtcantor

Next
Forum Statistics