Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: Forum Suggestions - Post them here!

Postby dabeast0976 » May 5th, 2010 @ 10:40am

New members can't make threads. Either institute a mandatory probation period or a minimum post count (like 10) before you can make a thread. I say this because i recently ran into a paid poster (which Higgins quickly took down). This would help cut this shit out.

OH, and sarcasm tags for bobloblaw. ;)
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Snuggs » Jun 16th, 2010 @ 12:40pm

I'm often browsing the forums from my iPhone. A few of the communities that I frequent (Gamerdork, Digital Cowboys) have installed a mobile interface for easy reading and replying on their forums.

I was wondering if you would consider adding a feature like this to the geekbox forums.

I have an app on my iPhone called tapatalk which holds my favorite forums and allows me to view updated posts and the like. I looked for geekbox on there, but it is not part of the network. I know there is a free version for reading, and I don't think it costs anything to add onto the forums.

For mobile users considering using that particular app for forums, there are two versions: the free one and then there is another version that let's you post and I think it hosts images- that one is 2.99. In my experiences with it so far, it has been a good purchase.
XBL Tag: PMS TaraByte
Snuggs

Postby LiQuid » Jun 16th, 2010 @ 12:49pm

I don't support measures that make life easier for iAnything users.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 16th, 2010 @ 1:26pm

LiQuid wrote:I don't support measures that make life easier for iAnything users.

I was going to say something similar, but decided against it in the hope that you would instead. :lol:
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 16th, 2010 @ 1:51pm

^5
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » Jun 16th, 2010 @ 3:01pm

I agree with the above posts. Fuck i.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby PantslessJedi » Jun 16th, 2010 @ 3:15pm

I can view the forum just fine through my phone's native browser.

'course, I don't use that apple shit. Hell, I've posted at least a dozen posts from my Motorola Droid. Sack up and use your browser.
PantslessJedi

Postby kenzo » Jun 16th, 2010 @ 3:18pm

PantslessJedi wrote:I can view the forum just fine through my phone's native browser.

'course, I don't use that apple shit. Hell, I've posted at least a dozen posts from my Motorola Droid. Sack up and use your browser.

Exactly. If your smartphones webbrowsers are so awesome and intuitive, why can't you use it?

Also, let's get real for a sec: Ryan Scott couldn't even figure out how to enable a basic forums feature that locks new users from making posts... you really expect that he'll be able to get a secondary, mobile interface up and going??
kenzo

Postby Snuggs » Jun 17th, 2010 @ 11:56am

I'm not complaining. Just making a suggestion in the suggestion thread, and I was polite about it. If he doesn't want to add in a mobile interface, I'll still browse on my browser.
XBL Tag: PMS TaraByte
Snuggs

Postby kenzo » Jun 17th, 2010 @ 1:41pm

Snuggs wrote:I'm not complaining. Just making a suggestion in the suggestion thread, and I was polite about it. If he doesn't want to add in a mobile interface, I'll still browse on my browser.

Your maturity and level-headed response shamed me. Sorry for responding to your suggestion in such a douchey way!
kenzo

Postby Bobloblaw » Jun 18th, 2010 @ 7:02am

kenzo wrote:
Snuggs wrote:I'm not complaining. Just making a suggestion in the suggestion thread, and I was polite about it. If he doesn't want to add in a mobile interface, I'll still browse on my browser.

Your maturity and level-headed response shamed me. Sorry for responding to your suggestion in such a douchey way!

+1 Maturity

Maybe iPoliteness has a place on these forums. :P
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 18th, 2010 @ 11:02am

I've check the forums on my iPhone too. Works fine but a mobile version would be nice.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby lemon-fresh » Jul 15th, 2010 @ 11:48am

Perhaps people could research how this might be accomplished (since apparently Ryan aint to good with technology)....

For instance these guys have an add on module for phpBB which allows for better mobile viewing.

http://www.mobileonlinestyle.com/

It's always nice when the user can provide potential solutions to a problem instead of just demanding things.
;)
lemon-fresh

Postby Cris » Jul 29th, 2010 @ 4:36pm

This other forum I go to, when someone posts in the thread while you're reading it it instantly appears without having to refresh. Really cool
Cris

Postby rycaut » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 11:35pm

as a new user of the forum (but a longtime listener) a few quick observations.

1) it isn't at all obvious how (if at all) I can add a NEW topic to an existing forum

2) and if I were to, it isn't entirely obvious where to put the post I wanted to make.

Which is:

What are the best (other) game industry focused podcasts people listen to or watch?

To elaborate further, I listen to a number of paper gaming (mostly D&D) related podcasts, a few game design podcasts (the occasion podcast from Richard Garfield) and to the GeekBox but I'm looking for a great alternative to the no longer running Revision3 show CO-OP which covered a really wide range of games while somehow managing to still be pretty tightly edited and focused (I'm looking for a great <30 min podcast vs the all too often 1 1/2hr+ gaming podcasts. I'd slightly prefer a video show over an audio only show as games are such a visual medium - and I'm far less interested in reviews (and not at all interested in MetaCritic style scores). I'm far more interested in a podcast that covers the games industry - ideally covering the whole range of games from casual games on Facebook to the most hardcore of console titles.

I'm also very open to highly focused podcasts that cover one genre of games in great depth - I'm particularly interested in coverage of MMORPG's especially Free-to-Play (from a business perspective as much as from a game play standpoint).

And yes, this is all related to work though it is games so there is certainly fun involved as well.

thanks,

Shannon
rycaut

Postby LiQuid » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 11:43pm

Hey Shannon. I'm pretty sure it was implemented a while ago that new users can't create topics until they have 10 posts to combat our increasing number of spambots. Hang out a bit and get into some conversations before you make a topic.

And welcome. I'm a nice guy! I want to be your friend!

Edit: I wanted to let you know what Kenzo is a nicer guy, due to his larger post count. You should be friends with both of us, but mostly him.
LiQuid

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 11:53pm

Also, there is a thread that is full of podcast suggestions. Most of them have descriptions as well. You can post your question in there if you don't find any suitable solutions in that thread.

I can't remember if a new member gets a welcome PM, but it might be helpful to include that 10 post minimum, not like people read them though.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 13th, 2010 @ 11:57pm

Discussions on tabletop RPGs are probably going to be in the 'Other Geekery' section. If you don't immediately see a topic you want, try using the search function (there should be a link in the top right corner of the page).

And, welcome to the forums!
kenzo

Postby rycaut » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 12:03am

Ah that makes sense but yes, most other forums I've used send a welcome to the forums note and also include such little details in the sticky FAQs etc for the site/forum. I guess I'll post a few places.

It wasn't entirely obvious which section would have an "other podcasts" thread - I'll try the search to find it.

Generally many forums solve this in part by having a catch-all discussion forum something like "everything else" or "misc" (names vary - basically "anything not covered by the other topics". Often with moderators who move messages to a more appropriate forum as needed.

(and another minor point I'll fill out my profile a bit more but I'm likely older than many folks here and I'm male - I've been online for eek nearly 20 years)

LiQuid wrote:Hey Shannon. I'm pretty sure it was implemented a while ago that new users can't create topics until they have 10 posts to combat our increasing number of spambots. Hang out a bit and get into some conversations before you make a topic.

And welcome. I'm a nice guy! I want to be your friend!

Edit: I wanted to let you know what Kenzo is a nicer guy, due to his larger post count. You should be friends with both of us, but mostly him.
rycaut

Postby rycaut » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 12:05am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:Also, there is a thread that is full of podcast suggestions. Most of them have descriptions as well. You can post your question in there if you don't find any suitable solutions in that thread.

I can't remember if a new member gets a welcome PM, but it might be helpful to include that 10 post minimum, not like people read them though.

Any idea if there is a way to find that thread?

Apparently "other podcasts" are "too common words" for the search to return any results.... I'll try other variations but searching for that particular thread is going to be a bit of a test of my guessing skills for unique terms...
rycaut

Postby LiQuid » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 12:12am

Most other popular podcasts have their own specific threads. Nobody's gonna jump on your back for making a thread that's too specific, but if it's a thread about a shitty podcast it's probably not gonna get a lot of attention.

Most of the people here are primarily video gamers. There have been a few PnP threads, but they were mostly inhabited by Patrick (you know who he is if you listen to the Geekbox). I wouldn't expect a DnD thread to get a lot of traffic around these parts to be honest.
LiQuid

Postby rycaut » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 12:17am

LiQuid wrote:Most other popular podcasts have their own specific threads. Nobody's gonna jump on your back for making a thread that's too specific, but if it's a thread about a shitty podcast it's probably not gonna get a lot of attention.

Most of the people here are primarily video gamers. There have been a few PnP threads, but they were mostly inhabited by Patrick (you know who he is if you listen to the Geekbox). I wouldn't expect a DnD thread to get a lot of traffic around these parts to be honest.

I'm not trying to start a DnD thread (I mentioned that I already listen to a lot of podcasts that cover DnD and other paper/board games) but what I'm looking for are good alternatives to the no longer updated CO-OP podcasts. Alternatives which since I don't know about them are a bit tricky to search for by name.... (I've just subscribed to but haven't yet listened to a few podcasts that iTunes notes as being often subscribed to by Geekbox listeners - Gamespy debriefings for example)

I'm more of a game designer (in a broad non-technology specific meaning of design) and am currently starting a business that sells to game companies - hence my interest in finding the best discussions about the game industry (the game press is one part of that).
rycaut

Postby LiQuid » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 12:23am

You would do well to listen to the debriefings. Not even joking.
LiQuid

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 1:18am

Other Geekery is our "what doesn't fit anywhere else" forum. The discussion I'm thinking of was put in there.

Podcast Recommendations

A lot on that list are not video game or video game industry centric, If you ask, people will search for them for you.

I don't know of many that deal with the industry, most just review video games. Have you tried Irrational Behavior? I don't listen myself but it is a development company that puts it on, you'd suspect they talk about it sometimes.

If you want reviews one of my favorite shows is Bytejacker. They deal only with indie games, they have skits throughout so it isn't all business. They rate on a Buy It, Try It, and Skip It scale, so not exactly metacritic, but not exactly no scale at all. Most the time they just talk about games and try to introduce people to new games. The show is on hiatus right now. It is video and it is associate with Revision3, the same company that Co-Op was apart of.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 2:00am

There's also this thread that's much older:

"What Podcasts do you listen to?"
kenzo

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 2:40am

Excuse me for linking the relevant one.

Jokes.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2010 @ 3:01am

Just trying to provide the guy with more data.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 23rd, 2010 @ 2:31pm

Allow widescreen avatars, like 200x100 or something.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 23rd, 2010 @ 2:53pm

Mr_eX wrote:Allow widescreen avatars, like 200x100 or something.

You're nuts.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 23rd, 2010 @ 2:58pm

200x75?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics