Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 7

Postby Rydog » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 5:01pm

Download it here!

Digg it here!

Enjoy! Review! Discuss! :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 7

Postby James-Kond » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 5:22pm

Hells yeah, rock on, downloading it now =D
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby Valke » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 5:24pm

I'll listen to it during Game Night tonight, perfect companion piece!
Valke

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 5:25pm

Hooray!
Sokkratez

Postby Mechar » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 5:54pm

Dear god! As of now I currently have 4 podcatss that I need to listen to: ListenUP, Retronauts, Game Scoop! and The Geekbox.

But with The Geekbox on my iTunes library, I will have a lot easier time finishing up my History Essay wich is due this Monday. This and the Watchmen screening I´m going to tomorrow definitely makes this weekend awesome!
What a horrible night to have a curse.
Mechar

Postby KaL » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 6:15pm

yays!
KaL

Postby BinaryMind » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 8:19pm

Just listened to the podcast, thanks guys! I especially liked the Watchmen talk, mostly because it's one of those few times I'm actually playing/watching the same thing the podcasters are. I was surprised everyone agreed the ending was a good change (though I agree with you guys), it's rare a major change like that doesn't send riots across the nerds!

I don't know what's happened to G. Ford, but I hope he comes back. I still loved the podcast though.
BinaryMind

Postby d0ug18 » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 9:31pm

Great show Geekbox Crew! I liked your Watchmen breakdowns and I understand how Karen can hype herself up when watching a movie and I was afraid of doing it myself, but I really liked Watchmen as a movie. I agree with the ending making more sense and I hope that Jackie Earle Haley gets some award show love.
d0ug18

Postby Biggs » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 10:29pm

Got home late. Downloading it now.
Biggs

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 10:43pm

Great show guys. Glad Higgins found a place quickly.
Sokkratez

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 11:29pm

Listened to it 3 times now >.< Just background noise the other two times.
Listen 1: Playing Empire: Total War
Listen 2: Going shopping for meats and vegetables... and snacks
Listen 3: Playing SMB3 for Game Night
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby Callan » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 12:13am

The Watchmen discussion was awesome. When the subject of "the Hollywood version" of Watchmen was brought up, it really made me think about the expectations of individuals who've never heard of Watchmen. At my first viewing, there were three elderly women in front of me. They left halfway through the film with complete disgust. Not sure if it was because of the exposure or blue phalluses. I just thought they expected a movie very much alike to other hero movies.
Sent from my TI-83.
Callan

Postby Mechar » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 3:20am

Elcquid wrote:No Rebel Fm?...

Of course I subscribe to that. But I listened just after it came out.

On that topic, what are the podcatss you guys listen to besides The Geekbox? My iTunes subscriptions consists of ListenUP, Retronauts, A Life Well Wasted, IGN (Only Podcast Beyond and Game Scoop!), Player One Podcast, Rebel FM, TFWire, The Totally Rad Show, Co-op, at1UP, Good Grief and WTF @ TFW2005.
Mechar

Postby DH_Jin » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 4:17am

Hope everything's okay master higgins!

watchmen the movie was amazing, definitely best comic ever made. the ending was kinda rushed, i would of like if the Manhattan "Create life" speech was to veidt instead. the fight scene to shouldn't had the broken arm thing. i think silk spectre's mum was great, the the actual spectre woman was a crappy actor could stop thinking of harold and kumar.

the ending where silk talks to night "hows things down there?' i was with my girl and some friends and they don't read comics or anything, not even interested in games. ugh god. and i knew she was trying to be smart but they just thought it was like a dick joke and was laughing for ages. the intro was AMAZING!!! beautiful.

the sex scene was like meh, but god the song really sucked. the Simon and Garfunkel song wasn't that bad Karen! and Nixon's nose!!! hahahaha what the hell, looked sooo fake. i reckon the Rorschach guy was awesome, great actor. doesn't the croaking voice and doesn't sound gay.

Night-owl was cool i guess, they shouldn't of had him in the background they should of had him walking in JUST before. the ending edit was a great movie edit, it really fit in.

giant blue wang got giggles at the cinema i was at. i'm definitely getting the bluray as soon as it's out, so psyched for that.

hahah lol giant blue condoms? haha post picture PLEASE haha

classic ryan quote. she's not that into comics…IT"S A GRAPHIC NOVEL. HAHAHA

i think the killing victor thing was good, i wanted more of him but it was pretty bad-ass way to end. but i hated carla dying!!! she was a great character, never watched BSG so can't say much about her old performances but she was good in burn notice, freaking haters.

the podcast with crispin was a GFW one man!! not EGM!

doll house is boring. didn't bother watching the entire pilot.

don't really listen to a lot of podcasts… GWJ, ALWW, listenup, good grief and video podcast, Co-op, TRS, diggnation :P i guess i do listen to a lot of podcasts…
DH_Jin

Postby DerBonk » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 6:40am

Great episode! I enjoyed the Watchmen discussion (see Watchmen movie thread for my opinion), though I would have loved to hear Fitch's opinion on the hotness of Silk Spectre II. Except for the hair (too long imo), she is really good looking.

Anyways, so glad you're back.

Bonus spy tip: Always take blue Watchmen condoms with you. You never know when the appearance of blue wang is needed for comic relief.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 10:22am

Just listened to the podcast. Thanks for the mention. I think.

Sorry for stealing your thunder, Fitch, but if I need to justify it, I'm 6'5" and 100% Korean. If you'd met me, I'm fairly certain your first thought would be, "Damn, that's a big Asian guy", because that's everyone's first thought.

And a quick note about Joss Whedon and Dollhouse (guess I'll mention it here and not in the TV & Movies forum since it was specifically mentioned on the podcast)- it wasn't like Joss Whedon came crawling back to FOX, asking them to put another one of his shows on the air (or that FOX sought out Joss Whedon and asked him to develop a show). FOX signed Eliza Dushku to a development contract, meaning they agreed to develop a series in which she would star (and produce, apparently). She then decided that if she was going to do TV again, she wanted to do it with Joss Whedon. So she called him and they had lunch, which is where the idea for Dollhouse was born. I doubt he would have gone back to FOX on his own, but with an idea he liked and an actress he liked, I guess he couldn't say no.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Mechar » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 5:52pm

Great episode as always! There isn´t really no other place to go to than The Geekbox, if you want a huge dose of intellectual geeksomeness.
Mechar

Postby LtWeight » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 7:25am

Great episode like always, too bad you guys wont be able to talk about Burn Notice anymore. :/ Maybe start talking about Bones and CSI: xD
LtWeight
LtWeight

Postby Jeku » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 11:41am

Great episode to listen to while doing Conceptis puzzles :)

I've only watched a few episodes of Burn Notice when it was on TV and I think I'm going to try and watch the seasons in order now. There are so many TV shows you guys talk about that I've never watched, aside from Lost, which I'm addicted to. Doesn't any of the Geekbox crew watch 24? ;)
Jeku
Geekbox VIP

Postby James-Kond » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 3:49pm

Jeku wrote:Great episode to listen to while doing Conceptis puzzles :)

I've only watched a few episodes of Burn Notice when it was on TV and I think I'm going to try and watch the seasons in order now. There are so many TV shows you guys talk about that I've never watched, aside from Lost, which I'm addicted to. Doesn't any of the Geekbox crew watch 24? ;)

It's the guy who made the soundtrack! awesome! ^^
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby LiQuid » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 3:56pm

Great to have my favorite podcast back. I still wish you guys would go longer than an hour and a half though. What do you guys have like lives or something? Get with the program!
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 5:46pm

DH_Jin wrote:Hope everything's okay master higgins!

the podcast with crispin was a GFW one man!! not EGM!

Actually, I should edit myself.

I know about the 11/1/07 and 5/22/08 GFW Radio Podcasts where Crispin guested, but I wasn't referring to either of those.

The podcast where Crispin Boyer shared about ruining another kid's Christmas with M*A*S*H* toys was the 11/2/07 1UP Yours with Seanbaby.

Thanks again for the invite, Ryan Scott. Can't thank you enough for waiting with me at the Sunnyvale Caltrain platform to make sure someone didn't rape my sweet Corean ass.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Albrexor » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 1:11am

great watchmen discussion

thanks for replying to my email so fast, I'll post in forums from now on!

btw: you guys see when comedian threw the mug at his door, it knocked off the last number of his address leaving only the numbers 300, which the camera sits on for the quickest moment. :?
My little podcast http://nerdoptimal.com
Albrexor

Postby AdamGS » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 9:28am

Good to see you branch out when it comes to the television discussion (Dollhouse). Just limiting yourselves to LOST and Burn Notice was my one and only complaint with an otherwise awesome podcast.
Gamestyle - Our Word. Your Guide | Twitter |
Xbox Live - Adam1986 | PSN - MyNameIsAdam
AdamGS

Postby InuiTakumi23 » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 7:23pm

Listening to the the episode now. Glad to hear that Ryan and his girlfriend are safe after that fire. Hilarious episode so far.
"I'm just a passing-through Kamen Rider. Remember that!"
~Tsukasa/Kamen Rider Decade
InuiTakumi23

Postby troubledwine » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 10:04pm

Listened to the show on my commute to and from work. You folks are becoming my favorite podcast! Keep it up! :geek:
troubledwine

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 1:59pm

Howdy from the UK.

Really enjoying these podcasts, trying to turn on as many fellow Brits as I can! :D

Burn Notice hasnt made it over here yet but obviously Lost and BSG are big here. Jame Bamber who is British has just started in Law and Order UK and just sounds....bizarre with his London accent. Even though its his actual accent, it feels so fake compared to his pitch perfect performance as Lee Adama!

Moving onto the main topic, Watchmen. Enjoyed the film alot, like Ryan I found myself either turning the pages mentally in my head or using a checklist.

I would of loved to have seen the scenes with Dr Malcolm Long extended as they were very intense in the book.

One side note, one of the members of the podcast mentioned that "99 Luftballoons" felt out of place. Although I agree with you in one aspect, the song itself is about The Cold War and tell a story of said balloons floating upwards and causing a Nuclear Apocalypse...

Looking forward to episode 8 :mrgreen:
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc

Postby hunter zolomon » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 7:50pm

so did i miss something is greg ford gone for good?
making others better through great tragedy and laced cookies
hunter zolomon

Postby AdamGS » Mar 19th, 2009 @ 1:38pm

Duke_Of_Havoc wrote:Howdy from the UK.

Really enjoying these podcasts, trying to turn on as many fellow Brits as I can! :D

Burn Notice hasnt made it over here yet

I think it's on either FX or Virgin1. One of those crappy little channels anyway.
Gamestyle - Our Word. Your Guide | Twitter |
Xbox Live - Adam1986 | PSN - MyNameIsAdam
AdamGS

Postby Duke_Of_Havoc » Mar 23rd, 2009 @ 5:20am

AdamGS wrote:
Duke_Of_Havoc wrote:Howdy from the UK.

Burn Notice hasnt made it over here yet

I think it's on either FX or Virgin1. One of those crappy little channels anyway.

Cheers Adam. Are you watching it?
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
Duke_Of_Havoc

Next
Forum Statistics