Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 28

Postby Rydog » Aug 19th, 2009 @ 11:13pm

You can give our newest episode a listen here. And if anyone's headed to BlizzCon this weekend, be sure to say hi if you see Karen or myself wandering around!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 28

Postby LiQuid » Aug 19th, 2009 @ 11:46pm

Someone let me know how spoilery this episode is on D9 please? I'm not sure when I can get to the theater to see it, but I wanna listen to this episode.
LiQuid

Postby Dangofrank88 » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 12:45am

I love Champions cell shading, and even though the problems with late content is a valid complaint, Bagging on the launcher for being unreliable the first week of beta launch is a bit unfair. Its seems like this will be a bit like age of conan: A pretty decent game that provides an experience different from wow that will be plauged by bugs and lack of late level content. Hopefully ncsoft will fix the game before they announce an expansion like AoC.
Dangofrank88

Postby lemon-fresh » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 7:38am

LiQuid wrote:Someone let me know how spoilery this episode is on D9 please? I'm not sure when I can get to the theater to see it, but I wanna listen to this episode.

Agreed
lemon-fresh

Grindhouse

Postby TAYREL713 » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 9:14am

For Ryan, on Netflix Instant watch, at least on the 360, Grindhouse is available as one long movie. Have at it good sir.
TAYREL713

Postby GiantAsianMan » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 9:35am

LiQuid wrote:Someone let me know how spoilery this episode is on D9 please? I'm not sure when I can get to the theater to see it, but I wanna listen to this episode.

It wasn't too spoilery. Only Fitch had seen the movie, so there wasn't much to talk about. But if you want to skip it altogether, it runs from about 33:30 to 39:30.

Nice to hear some love for Jackie Brown. Vastly underrated movie.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Danj » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 10:06am

Regarding the Champions Online issues, yeah there are some bugs in game but that is why it is in beta, right? I am rather concerned they will not manage to get that all sured up in 2 weeks. However, earlier this year the game went through a pretty amazing metamorphasis in a few months. When I first got into the closed beta last year I didn’t even want to play it. I’m pretty much sold on it now.
As far as the graphical style goes, the default look of the game is a bit too glossy for my tastes as well. In the advanced video options there are a bunch of additional options that might help. Turning the outline off really helped my friend like the art style better. That might just make them look more like shrinky-dinks to Ryan though.
Also, the character creation sliders have been made an advanced feature and they have included default face and body types. That really helps for quicker character creation. I have spent more than an hour making a character look just right but I like that kind of thing. I think I spent more time in the City of Heroes character creator than in City of Heroes itself.
Anyway, hope I don’t sound like an enraged fanboy, just trying to help with the frustrations! Thanks for doing what you’re doing with the podcast. It is one of the few video game podcasts I rate 5 stars in iTunes every time!
Danj

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 10:16am

If you have Netflix you can stream the Grindhouse double feature with fake trailers.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 10:52am

GiantAsianMan wrote:It wasn't too spoilery. Only Fitch had seen the movie, so there wasn't much to talk about. But if you want to skip it altogether, it runs from about 33:30 to 39:30.

Thank you, grossly over-sized, oriental, male person!

I dunno if there was any discussion about Netflix or just about Grindhouse, given the responses in this thread, but I just signed up for my free trial of Netflix a few days ago and I don't know how I lived without it. I'll only be using the 1 DVD plan (and not actually queuing any DVD's) just for the streaming. The streaming selection isn't SUPER huge, but I can tell it will take many many months for me to work my way through all the movie and TV offerings on there.

I haven't used cable TV in over a year now, since I'm usually content with Hulu and DVD rentals (and yeah, occasionally piracy) for most stuff. At $9 a month I feel like Netflix will make a nice addition to my viewing. I'd forgotten how fun it is to watch things without premeditation. I don't usually think real hard about what I start streaming. So far I've spent a good deal of time with Man Vs. Food and Weeds and have loved both. Neither are shows I would have gone out of my way to watch in any other format.

Sorry, this isn't a shill attempt. I just decided to finally take the plunge after the Xbox update and saw an opportunity to champion it a bit. :)
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 11:14am

LiQuid wrote:I dunno if there was any discussion about Netflix or just about Grindhouse, given the responses in this thread, but I just signed up for my free trial of Netflix a few days ago and I don't know how I lived without it. I'll only be using the 1 DVD plan (and not actually queuing any DVD's) just for the streaming. The streaming selection isn't SUPER huge, but I can tell it will take many many months for me to work my way through all the movie and TV offerings on there.

I haven't used cable TV in over a year now, since I'm usually content with Hulu and DVD rentals (and yeah, occasionally piracy) for most stuff. At $9 a month I feel like Netflix will make a nice addition to my viewing. I'd forgotten how fun it is to watch things without premeditation. I don't usually think real hard about what I start streaming. So far I've spent a good deal of time with Man Vs. Food and Weeds and have loved both. Neither are shows I would have gone out of my way to watch in any other format.

Sorry, this isn't a shill attempt. I just decided to finally take the plunge after the Xbox update and saw an opportunity to champion it a bit. :)

Higgins said he has never seen Grindhouse and wont watch it unless its in its double feature form. Netflix has it the way its ment to be seen.

Netflix streaming is pretty awesome. Have you tried the party mode where you watch with friends? If you watch a bad/cheesey movie its a lot of fun.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 12:03pm

Mr_eX wrote:Netflix streaming is pretty awesome. Have you tried the party mode where you watch with friends? If you watch a bad/cheesey movie its a lot of fun.

I really want to. It's a feature that initially attracted me to the service. I know a lot of people with Netflix, and I have a group of friends that I watch cheesy movies with on IRC frequently. Sadly there is no overlap among these two groups yet. I'm trying to get my cheesy movie friends into it though. They all just happen to be broke asses.

There's so much schlock on streaming though, that I think I might be able to convince them eventually.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 2:00pm

LiQuid wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Netflix streaming is pretty awesome. Have you tried the party mode where you watch with friends? If you watch a bad/cheesey movie its a lot of fun.

I really want to. It's a feature that initially attracted me to the service. I know a lot of people with Netflix, and I have a group of friends that I watch cheesy movies with on IRC frequently. Sadly there is no overlap among these two groups yet. I'm trying to get my cheesy movie friends into it though. They all just happen to be broke asses.

There's so much schlock on streaming though, that I think I might be able to convince them eventually.

Next time I feel like watching something I'll send you an invite if you're on. We can watch the Toxic Avenger 3
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby lemon-fresh » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 2:17pm

Mr_eX wrote:
LiQuid wrote:

Next time I feel like watching something I'll send you an invite if you're on. We can watch the Toxic Avenger 3

Awww! Sux that Canadians can't access netflix. :x
lemon-fresh

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 2:31pm

lemon-fresh wrote:Awww! Sux that Canadians can't access netflix. :x

Well you guys get milk in a bag so I think we're about even.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jailem » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 4:35pm

I don't know if I should be surprised, since I didn't know a few weeks ago, but with all the pub it's been getting I thought this fact was more commonly know, but apparently not since I have heard a few podcast this week that did not know this fact. Inglourious Basterds is a remake of an Italian film from the 70's that QT was quite fond of. Check it out. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076584/
Jailem

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 4:35pm

Ponyo is a great movie, probably the pinnacle of hand-drawn animation. Porco Rosso is still my favorite Miyazaki film, but this is a close second.

Grindhouse was good. I thought Planet Terror was a little better than DeathProof. The faux trailers were awesome, especially Machete, Thanksgiving, and Werewolf Women of the SS. The best part is Machete will be a real movie next year, starring Danny Trejo!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Lord Korax » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 9:17pm

Ack, the audio levels are off. I keep turning up the volume in order to hear things, then someone starts laughing or talking excitedly and I have to throw my headphones on the floor and shout about how much my ears hurt.
Lord Korax

Postby Acid08 » Aug 21st, 2009 @ 8:31pm

Good episode. Tarantino discussion was a little ruined by the constant Fitch trolling. Did anyone see Inglourious Basterds tonight? I got back a couple hours ago, and man, what an amazing film. Really amazing. Christoph Waltz....get this man an Oscar. Also if you're holding off on seeing the movie because of the trailer, don't. The trailer is literally nothing compared to the rest of the film. It isn't all Brad Pitt(even though he's fantastic in the film) and killing Nazis(all these scenes are incredible as well.) The trailer doesn't give a good approximation of what the actual movie is.
Acid08

Postby Callan » Aug 21st, 2009 @ 10:38pm

I can see the Champions box quote now!

"Everything looks like Shrinky Dinks."
Sent from my TI-83.
Callan

Postby kenzo » Aug 21st, 2009 @ 11:11pm

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby AdamGS » Aug 22nd, 2009 @ 1:56am

I also don't understand the love for Tarantino. Death Proof and Kill Bil Vol 2 were terrible. Not to mention in interviews he comes across as being the most arrogant individual in the world.
Gamestyle - Our Word. Your Guide | Twitter |
Xbox Live - Adam1986 | PSN - MyNameIsAdam
AdamGS

Postby darfox8 » Aug 22nd, 2009 @ 10:52am

kenzo wrote:Why watch Bleach? Disgusting.

Do you hate all Shonen/fighting series or just Bleach specifically?
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Aug 22nd, 2009 @ 6:11pm

AdamGS wrote:I also don't understand the love for Tarantino. Death Proof and Kill Bil Vol 2 were terrible. Not to mention in interviews he comes across as being the most arrogant individual in the world.

I don't like you.
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Aug 22nd, 2009 @ 8:54pm

LiQuid wrote:
AdamGS wrote:I also don't understand the love for Tarantino. Death Proof and Kill Bil Vol 2 were terrible. Not to mention in interviews he comes across as being the most arrogant individual in the world.

I don't like you.

Yeah I really like Tarantino movies. And I also think they're really re-watchable. Not sure exactly why people hate him. Question for QT haters: How do you feel about Guy Ritchie?
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby Cris » Aug 23rd, 2009 @ 8:15am

Reviews do impact sales. Saying OMG ENTER THE MATRIX SOLD LOTS just shows there are exceptions to everything.

I'm pretty sure reviews alone made Bioshock sell millions.

But I do agree, complaining about bad reviews and then saying yourself your game was bad is really dumb :P
Cris

Postby Cris » Aug 23rd, 2009 @ 8:45am

kenzo wrote:Why watch Bleach? Disgusting.

Because Bleach is awesome? It will probably never be as good as the first Bleach arc was but it's still entertaining.
Cris

Postby kenzo » Aug 23rd, 2009 @ 2:00pm

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 24th, 2009 @ 9:46am

I'm just fascinated by shows that run that long. I don't know that I'll ever watch them all, I just think they're interesting.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby darfox8 » Aug 24th, 2009 @ 10:27am

Master Higgins wrote:I'm just fascinated by shows that run that long. I don't know that I'll ever watch them all, I just think they're interesting.

I was lucky I caught Naruto when the anime first started. I only saw the first few episodes of Bleach on Cartoon Network. My friend is trying to get me to watch the fansubs but there's so much of them out there, it'll take me awhile to amass the courage to dive in. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it though.

These mulit-hundred episodes shows are just not recommendable unless the person knows exactly what they're getting themselves into. The type of anime that's easy to recommend as TV shows(not just as anime) are the great ones that last 26 episodes.

Go find Detective Conan/Case Closed if you want a truly loooong series.
darfox8

Postby jw_6179 » Aug 25th, 2009 @ 3:32am

I have to admit that I find it pretty funny this podcast complained about a lack of professionalism in the gaming press, and it having a bit of a "frat boy" mentality when one of the guests of the podcast discussing it only got their job in the gaming industry because some guy working at 1up thought she was cute and was trying to get a date with her. I doubt you'd see that happen in established media, even other entertainment journalism such as sports or music criticism.

You don't normally go from "I worked at Tower Record" to "Rolling Stone" magazine, for example.
jw_6179

Next
Forum Statistics