Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 30

Postby Rydog » Sep 3rd, 2009 @ 12:26am

Check out our 30th episode -- and the full details on all of the stuff we've got goin' on at this week's Penny Artcade Expo in Seattle -- right here.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 30

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Sep 3rd, 2009 @ 10:16am

Damn, No more sports entertainment talk. No, Master Higgins and Fitch do not sound alike. That is all.
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby UrbanPing » Sep 3rd, 2009 @ 12:00pm

Oh, the ear/sinus/goo stuff... yeah. No stomach for lunch now.

Anyway, see some of you fine sirs (and lady) on possibly Friday at Gameworks and Saturday at PAX, I will be one of the few XX chromosome beings in attendance. Y'all have a safe flight. Mr. Scott, feel better. The rest of the crew staying in the Cali, have a fun weekend as well.

Peace,
T.
Nom nom nom.
UrbanPing

Postby dabeast0976 » Sep 3rd, 2009 @ 12:30pm

W0lfbl1tzers wrote:Damn, No more sports entertainment talk. No, Master Higgins and Fitch do not sound alike. That is all.

Welcome to the forums! Nice to see a new guy around here who isn't dumping on someone and then leaving.

Now that that nicety is over, yes they do, a lot of us think so and you can't convince us otherwise. So there.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby DerBonk » Sep 3rd, 2009 @ 1:23pm

W0lfbl1tzers wrote: No, Master Higgins and Fitch do not sound alike. That is all.

Second that. No matter what anyone else says, I think Fitch's voice is very memorable. And I'm not even a native speaker!
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Sep 3rd, 2009 @ 1:28pm

dabeast0976 wrote:
W0lfbl1tzers wrote:Damn, No more sports entertainment talk. No, Master Higgins and Fitch do not sound alike. That is all.

Welcome to the forums! Nice to see a new guy around here who isn't dumping on someone and then leaving.

Now that that nicety is over, yes they do, a lot of us think so and you can't convince us otherwise. So there.

I have been listening to the podcast since the beginning and made my account shortly after the forums were started. Now, that being said, I hate forums because of the people you have mentioned but my time on the Giant Bomb boards have giving me new hope. Everyone one the podcast has annoyed me at one point or another but then I got over myself and enjoyed it a whole lot more.

Maybe its because I pay way too much attention to speech patterns and pitch. I pay way to much attention to the way people speak.
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Sep 3rd, 2009 @ 1:30pm

DerBonk wrote:
W0lfbl1tzers wrote: No, Master Higgins and Fitch do not sound alike. That is all.

Second that. No matter what anyone else says, I think Fitch's voice is very memorable. And I'm not even a native speaker!

Hell Yeah!
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby dabeast0976 » Sep 3rd, 2009 @ 2:15pm

W0lfbl1tzers wrote:I have been listening to the podcast since the beginning and made my account shortly after the forums were started. Now, that being said, I hate forums because of the people you have mentioned but my time on the Giant Bomb boards have giving me new hope. Everyone one the podcast has annoyed me at one point or another but then I got over myself and enjoyed it a whole lot more.

Maybe its because I pay way too much attention to speech patterns and pitch. I pay way to much attention to the way people speak.

Cool. I was referring more to your post count than join date. Some cool people here (Lemon, Liquid, hell even Kenzo). Love Giant Bomb, just never joined their boards.

W0lfbl1tzers wrote:
DerBonk wrote:

Hell Yeah!

Proof two wrongs don't make a right. :P
dabeast0976

Postby achickenchaser » Sep 3rd, 2009 @ 4:02pm

Playing your 360 games from the hard drive will stop the loud noise problem. Of course, if you only have a 20-gig HD, it's a little inconvenient installing and uninstalling games so much.
achickenchaser

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 4th, 2009 @ 8:46am

W0lfbl1tzers wrote:
I have been listening to the podcast since the beginning and made my account shortly after the forums were started. Now, that being said, I hate forums because of the people you have mentioned but my time on the Giant Bomb boards have giving me new hope.

Welcome to the forums, I post on the Giant Bomb boards(great community) from time to time although I find its design a little to spread out for my taste. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm addicted to the GAF style "everything in one thread" cluster fuck.

It's nice to see that we keep getting a slight influx of new members after every podcast. Hopefully a few will become regulars.
lemon-fresh

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 5th, 2009 @ 9:59pm

Needed moar Karen.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby locaz0r » Sep 6th, 2009 @ 2:24am

Well... she wasn't there, but I agree Geekbox seems odd without her there i.e full cast. Either way good ep. keep it up.
locaz0r

Postby kenzo » Sep 6th, 2009 @ 4:28am

Gnarly!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby Ricken » Sep 6th, 2009 @ 7:05pm

Hey Ryan, happen to have SF4 for PS3? I'd love to play you.
Ricken

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 7th, 2009 @ 2:48am

locaz0r wrote:Well... she wasn't there, but I agree Geekbox seems odd without her there i.e full cast. Either way good ep. keep it up.

She needs to explain why/how she lost her wedding ring/took it off and forgot it during PAX on the next podcast.
https://twitter.com/momopeche/status/3810562171

She got some play from this dude I'm guessing,
and didn't want Patrick Joynt to find out.
KindGalaxy

Postby SJSchmidt93 » Sep 7th, 2009 @ 2:27pm

I have a few things to say.

1. 30 episodes and I'm still not completely sure who is who between Fitch and Higgins.

2. When is the GFW Reunion audio track going up?

3. That nose thing sounded painful (Fitch or Higgins).
SJSchmidt93

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 8th, 2009 @ 6:01am

SJSchmidt93 wrote:2. When is the GFW Reunion audio track going up?

David Ellis needed to sleep. Let the man sleep, it's in 3 parts, he went to bed. He's got a fever too of 100.8, and he's doing it for free https://twitter.com/DavidEllis Last update was 7 hours ago, he's probably still sleeping, it's meant to go up in the next 12 hours as of last update, but really; he's editing and processing it ahead of his real-actual-paying-job at 1UP/UGO and the demand to process/edit their PAX shit. So... yeah, its up when its up.
KindGalaxy

Postby Atomsmasher » Sep 8th, 2009 @ 9:37pm

So after hearing the Inglorious Basterds comments, I want to know where Fitch ranks Uma Thurman on the Gabrielle Anwar scale
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 9th, 2009 @ 10:03am

KindGalaxy wrote:
SJSchmidt93 wrote:2. When is the GFW Reunion audio track going up?

David Ellis needed to sleep. Let the man sleep, it's in 3 parts, he went to bed. He's got a fever too of 100.8, and he's doing it for free https://twitter.com/DavidEllis Last update was 7 hours ago, he's probably still sleeping, it's meant to go up in the next 12 hours as of last update, but really; he's editing and processing it ahead of his real-actual-paying-job at 1UP/UGO and the demand to process/edit their PAX shit. So... yeah, its up when its up.

David Ellis Defense Force, GO!!!!!!

Heck, Garnett hasn't even gotten the listenup podcast up and that's something he's paid to do.
lemon-fresh

Postby kenzo » Sep 10th, 2009 @ 2:07pm

Gnarly!
kenzo

Postby dabeast0976 » Sep 11th, 2009 @ 7:04am

kenzo wrote:I'm sure David Ellis is a nice guy and all, but I hate his guts. He is easily the worst part of the listenup podcast.

Captain Hyperbole strikes again!
dabeast0976

Postby kenzo » Sep 11th, 2009 @ 7:47pm

Gnarly!
kenzo

Postby JEKKI » Sep 13th, 2009 @ 10:51pm

lol ryan scott, it isnt too hard to get good at fighting games.

especially now with youtube, when I first started college I useta download match videos every day. ppl do not have to do that anymore... watching videos helps a lot.

first step of course is being comfortable with your character, know their moves and combos and tactics and matchups in and out. Understand what's safe, what isnt, and make sure your execution is spot on!!

after that all u need is experience. True, playing randoms on xbox wont do you any good at all, but u dont have to be a hardcore player to get decent... just play casually with the right ppl now and then and you will improve. Also the more u go to tournies the more u get used to dealing with fatigue and hunger of waiting for your match which can easily destroy a lot of greener players.

fighting games! <3 keep playing and have fun!!
JEKKI

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 15th, 2009 @ 9:15am

kenzo wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:
kenzo wrote:I'm sure David Ellis is a nice guy and all, but I hate his guts. He is easily the worst part of the listenup podcast.

Captain Hyperbole strikes again!

I like the sound of that! Yea, I naturally exaggerate things to make a point; it's an obnoxious habit of mine, one I work on but still gets the best of me. It's also part of the reason why I dislike David Ellis: his rants and ravings on things sound so much like the kinds of immature stuff I would say that it's unsettling to hear. It would be more forgivable if he was funnier or more aloof like Shane Bettenhausen, but his rants come off a little too smug at times. He has great things to say more times than not, but I'm just not a fan. Is that kind of hypocritical of me? Kind of, but I'm man enough to admit it, and I don't let it stop me from listening to their podcast.

Is this all because he sometimes bashes the PS3?
lemon-fresh

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 15th, 2009 @ 9:24am

JEKKI wrote:lol ryan scott, it isnt too hard to get good at fighting games.

especially now with youtube, when I first started college I useta download match videos every day. ppl do not have to do that anymore... watching videos helps a lot.

first step of course is being comfortable with your character, know their moves and combos and tactics and matchups in and out. Understand what's safe, what isnt, and make sure your execution is spot on!!

after that all u need is experience. True, playing randoms on xbox wont do you any good at all, but u dont have to be a hardcore player to get decent... just play casually with the right ppl now and then and you will improve. Also the more u go to tournies the more u get used to dealing with fatigue and hunger of waiting for your match which can easily destroy a lot of greener players.

fighting games! <3 keep playing and have fun!!

I'm pretty sure Ryan is already decent at fighting games. Although the kind of commitment it takes to pull off the longer link combos containing FADC's(at will) at a tourney in sf4 for instance is not something we all have the time for. This compounded with the fact that if you chose to invest a bunch of time into a different mechanic like parrying(in order to be competitive) in sf3 only to have it almost completely removed/changed in the next iteration can be kind of disheartening. I think that's why I always liked sf2's simplicity the best, since you can always fall back on the fundamentals and you don't have to rely on mastering a lot extraneous techniques.

Also, once you have your execution and strategy down you have to find ways to deal with competitive stress and thats usually what separates the top players. This generally holds true for most individual, directly competitive sports.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
lemon-fresh

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2009 @ 3:38pm

Gnarly!
kenzo

Postby dabeast0976 » Sep 15th, 2009 @ 8:13pm

kenzo wrote:
lemon-fresh wrote:Is this all because he sometimes bashes the PS3?

Everyone on that show bashes the PS3; I've gotten used to it and it's not a big deal, especially when put into the context that they pretty much bash everything.

Well, i don't mean to bash the PS3, but i have a cousin who bashes everything when something new comes along. He bought a Mac and ditched his PC. PC's are now crap and garbage to him. He sold his 360 and Wii 2 years ago to buy a PS3. He then went on saying the 360 was crap and PS3 was awsome. That was before he was almost banned for verbal abuse because people wouldn't use headsets in TEAM games where you have to communicate. AND BOY DID HE COMMUNICATE! Now he sold his PS3, is back with the 360 and told me i was right in a text that i will never delete. EVER.
dabeast0976

Forum Statistics