Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 31

Postby Rydog » Sep 16th, 2009 @ 11:50pm

British journalist Olly Quinn joins us for this week's episode, which you can listen to right here. Hope you enjoy it -- it's a bit more scattershot than usual. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 31

Postby KindGalaxy » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 2:42am

http://forums.geekbox.net/search.php?author_id=53&sr=posts

Posting History of Rydog. Food for thought. :ugeek:
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby GiantAsianMan » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 7:23am

For the Star Wars obsessed, I would recommend Fanboys. Its at least worth a watch. No, its not all that great of a movie, but neither were Episodes I through III, and you sat through them. Its your standard buddy-road trip comedy movie, just mixed with tons of Star Wars references (ranging from the very clever to the completely absurd) and tons of cameos. If you know that going in and can accept that, the movie's not that bad.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby bayfield » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 9:12am

KindGalaxy wrote:Posting History of Rydog. Food for thought.

Forum serves the purpose well doesn't it? In the days we heard little from Rydog on the GFW podcasts to these days, where I would guess his weekly quota of allotted conversation is maxing out.

A man of few words makes them count.

:ugeek:
"It's a rockstar vatican assassin torpedo of truth sent by a warlock" - KindGalaxy
bayfield

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 9:47am

bayfield wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:Posting History of Rydog. Food for thought.

Forum serves the purpose well doesn't it? In the days we heard little from Rydog on the GFW podcasts to these days, where I would guess his weekly quota of allotted conversation is maxing out.

A man of few words makes them count.

:ugeek:

I assumed that since he is contributing a lot more to the geekbox and even gamespy podcast discussion he could maybe put the same lingual effort into his forums. Alas, maybe Ryan is going the slightly pretentious penny arcade "I don't read my own forum" route.
lemon-fresh

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 11:45am

Ryan's admitted many times to me that he's not a "forum guy," but he reads them all the time. Just don't post much.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 1:41pm

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby dabeast0976 » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 2:11pm

kenzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Ryan's admitted many times to me that he's not a "forum guy," but he reads them all the time. Just don't post much.

Does this make Ryan... a troll??

No. it makes him....A LURKER!

Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 2:20pm

ewwww! Lurkers are creepy.
lemon-fresh

Postby Jeku » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 4:20pm

Excellent podcast, and good to hear another guest join the quartet. Will Olly be the permanent 5th seater?
Jeku
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 6:44pm

Jazzy!
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 7:58pm

Great show as always!

Master Higgins, I LIKE Kick-Ass, and I'm not just saying that to piss off Ryan. Yes it's extremely over the top and gratuitous, but I think Millar did that intentionally as a super satirical way to parody the normal guy turned superhero idea. And John Romita Jr's pencils are icing on the cake.
As for whether the book will finish or the movie comes out first, it's too close to call. I would've aggreed with you a month ago, but the penultimate issue came out last week, and I heard the movie's getting bumped to 2010. And after an overwhelmingly positive screening at Comic-Con, this movie could be a surprise sleeper.

Christopher Mintz-Plasse is actually not playing Kick-Ass, but Red Mist, a mobster's son.

And Nicholas Cage has been going steadily downhill since winning the Oscar for "Leaving Las Vegas." The best thing he acted in recently was Fu Man Chu in the Grindhouse faux trailer, "Werewolf Women of the S.S."
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Sep 17th, 2009 @ 11:20pm

Another damn fine podcast.
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby OmniAvenger » Sep 18th, 2009 @ 11:36am

For the record, Ryan did actually get the loudest applause during the Brodeo Reunion intros. And the intro was thus:

The quiet one with a burning hatred of Mark Millar,
And snack machines around the world,
Direct from Dharmaville, HELL YEAH, it’s
RYAN SCOTT

My only wish is that I had the voice of a wrestling announcer to have done it proper justice.

Saw Fanboys a couple of weeks ago, and it was mostly ridiculous with a few laughs for Star Wars fans (i.e. the fued bewteen Trekkies and Star Wars fans is a running gag with mixed results but the appearance of Shatner is a good one).
OmniAvenger

Postby Mechar » Sep 19th, 2009 @ 3:21am

Man, Olly Quinn was by far the man of the show! Completely blew my mind with all his geek knowledge and awesome recomendations that I´ve never heard of, but that sounded really intriguing.

On a Fanboy-note, I would say that the movie is not that great, but definetely worth a watch for all the obscure nerd-terms and the hilarious rivalty going on between the fanbases.
What a horrible night to have a curse.
Mechar

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 21st, 2009 @ 12:14pm

Youtube is still pretty awesome...
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Sep 22nd, 2009 @ 7:20pm

Jazzy!
kenzo

Postby deadairis » Sep 22nd, 2009 @ 11:35pm

As a nerdy, story-theory addition to my wife Karen's excellent summation of my weird take on being a Star Wars fan:
What I love about Star Wars has almost nothing to do with the trivia.
It doesn't attach to the chopsticks shaped like lightsabers.
There's no pull for me to see what was used to make what I love.
It's not a lack of love -- but I've got no real interest in the ephemera of Star Wars. The core of Star Wars, the "reality" of its story, is in the stories -- not in who played what, how many languages were used to make up the Ewok tongue, or how Harrison Ford was discovered.

Those are interesting things, but they're not really Star Wars. Its rules, its twists, its characters are only real in its stories. What gets left behind telling those stories doesn't interest me very often.

And while I realize the inherent hypocrisy of running an Infinities game -- fan fic written across years of dice thrown over a table -- and decrying other peoples fan fic, very little of the fan stuff interests me either. Not that it probably isn't great, but it's not the Star Wars I fell in love with.

The Star Wars I fell in love with was the original three films, and the stories my friends and I made up to fill in the gaps in the universe. Other people's fan work doesn't interest me because a huge part of what I love about Star Wars is the friendship I share with people as we explore it, not the thing itself.

Funnily enough, table top gaming has a great analogy for this. Most gamers love their favorite setting. Most gamers love the campaign -- which is always, essentially, a custom fan fic setting of that "official" setting -- they play in.

But no one wants to hear your war stories about your game if they weren't in it.

Maybe if I wasn't coming from such a strong RPG background I'd appreciate Star Wars differently. But for me, almost every entertainment I love is about how I can share the experience with my friends, not about learning how someone else shared it with me.

That all said, lightwhips are stupid.
deadairis
The Reimpaler

Postby Karen » Sep 23rd, 2009 @ 12:02pm

woah, slow down there, turbo.
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby lemon-fresh » Sep 23rd, 2009 @ 12:21pm

deadairis wrote:As a nerdy, story-theory addition to my wife Karen's excellent summation of my weird take on being a Star Wars fan:
What I love about Star Wars has almost nothing to do with the trivia.
It doesn't attach to the chopsticks shaped like lightsabers.
There's no pull for me to see what was used to make what I love.
It's not a lack of love -- but I've got no real interest in the ephemera of Star Wars. The core of Star Wars, the "reality" of its story, is in the stories -- not in who played what, how many languages were used to make up the Ewok tongue, or how Harrison Ford was discovered.

Those are interesting things, but they're not really Star Wars. Its rules, its twists, its characters are only real in its stories. What gets left behind telling those stories doesn't interest me very often.

And while I realize the inherent hypocrisy of running an Infinities game -- fan fic written across years of dice thrown over a table -- and decrying other peoples fan fic, very little of the fan stuff interests me either. Not that it probably isn't great, but it's not the Star Wars I fell in love with.

The Star Wars I fell in love with was the original three films, and the stories my friends and I made up to fill in the gaps in the universe. Other people's fan work doesn't interest me because a huge part of what I love about Star Wars is the friendship I share with people as we explore it, not the thing itself.

Funnily enough, table top gaming has a great analogy for this. Most gamers love their favorite setting. Most gamers love the campaign -- which is always, essentially, a custom fan fic setting of that "official" setting -- they play in.

But no one wants to hear your war stories about your game if they weren't in it.

Maybe if I wasn't coming from such a strong RPG background I'd appreciate Star Wars differently. But for me, almost every entertainment I love is about how I can share the experience with my friends, not about learning how someone else shared it with me.

That all said, lightwhips are stupid.

Well that all came off as sounding a little pretentious.
lemon-fresh

Postby I love Fitch » Sep 23rd, 2009 @ 12:52pm

I would love an entire podcast of olley teaching the rest English slang and traditions, being english myself i find the whole skank/scrubber bit hilarous
Gamertag: Mak3TeaNotWar

14. English. Taller than Fitch. Employed. Bored out of my skull.
I love Fitch

Postby Karen » Sep 24th, 2009 @ 5:07pm

I love Fitch wrote:I would love an entire podcast of olley teaching the rest English slang and traditions, being english myself i find the whole skank/scrubber bit hilarous

I love your username!
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby Sn4tcH » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 2:30am

1. Wedge (IV,V,VI)
2. Luke (IV,V,VI)
3. Palpatine (V,VI)
4. Vader (IV,V,VI)
5. Han (IV,V,VI)
6. Lando (V,VI)
7. Chewie (IV,V,VI)
8. Leia (IV,V,VI)
9. Obi-Wan (IV,V,VI)
10. Yoda (V,VI)
11. Boba Fett (V,VI)
12. Dengar (V,VI)
13. C-3PO (IV,V,VI)
14. R2-D2 (IV,V,VI)
15. Admiral Firmus Piett (V,VI)
16. BOSSK (V,VI)

What do I win?
Sn4tcH

Postby dabeast0976 » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 9:21am

Sn4tcH wrote:1. Wedge (IV,V,VI)
2. Luke (IV,V,VI)
3. Palpatine (V,VI)
4. Vader (IV,V,VI)
5. Han (IV,V,VI)
6. Lando (V,VI)
7. Chewie (IV,V,VI)
8. Leia (IV,V,VI)
9. Obi-Wan (IV,V,VI)
10. Yoda (V,VI)
11. Boba Fett (V,VI)
12. Dengar (V,VI)
13. C-3PO (IV,V,VI)
14. R2-D2 (IV,V,VI)
15. Admiral Firmus Piett (V,VI)
16. BOSSK (V,VI)

What do I win?

A Dating for Dummies book to help fill your lonely, lonely life. :lol:
dabeast0976

Postby LiQuid » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 3:29pm

Man Olly fucking ruled on this show. You guys need to offer him at least a semi-regular seat at the table. It's refreshing to hear from a nerd that actually likes shit for a change and has a bunch of weird obscure geek knowledge, even by normal geek standards. And his ultra-sexy accept doesn't hurt. ;)
LiQuid

Postby dabeast0976 » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 4:03pm

LiQuid wrote:And his ultra-sexy accept doesn't hurt. ;)

Accent Dude. his accent is sexy (no homo...not that there's anything wrong with it :? ). What you said is accept, as in "We accept Fitch even though he hates everything American." :lol:
dabeast0976

Postby Sn4tcH » Sep 26th, 2009 @ 2:38am

dabeast0976 wrote:A Dating for Dummies book to help fill your lonely, lonely life. :lol:

My girlfriend hates Star Wars. :(
Sn4tcH

Postby kenzo » Sep 26th, 2009 @ 3:38am

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 26th, 2009 @ 4:58am

dabeast0976 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:And his ultra-sexy accept doesn't hurt. ;)

Accent Dude. his accent is sexy (no homo...not that there's anything wrong with it :? ). What you said is accept, as in "We accept Fitch even though he hates everything American." :lol:

Guess who was on the sauce early yesterday!? Guess who's on earlier today!!!????
LiQuid

Postby Sn4tcH » Sep 29th, 2009 @ 1:06am

kenzo wrote:
Sn4tcH wrote:What do I win?

Nothing, since the question was to mention characters that appeared in all three films.

Listen again sir and or ma'am. It was in at least two of the three original trilogy.
Sn4tcH

Forum Statistics