Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 33

Postby Rydog » Sep 30th, 2009 @ 10:36pm

Episode 33 is up right here, and it's extra-long this week. Enjoy, and keep an eye on our new Amazon store, too!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 33

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Sep 30th, 2009 @ 10:37pm

Hells Yeah!!
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby Dargonaut » Sep 30th, 2009 @ 11:07pm

Maybe I will do this instead of studying.
Dargonaut

Postby MCruz » Sep 30th, 2009 @ 11:25pm

Dargonaut wrote:Maybe I will do this instead of studying.

I cannot condone this. Hit the books. I assume you go to Michigan State?http://comics.lib.msu.edu/
MCruz
Cruz'n with Ford

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 1st, 2009 @ 3:36am

Whores of South-East Asia. That was great :lol:

Holy shit I am loving this Asian-talk, since I have been married to a Hong Kong woman for 3 years... this was EXACTLY the conversation I had, and sometimes continue to have, with people; especially the mixed-baby thing. My God. Best Podcast Episode of Geekbox
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby G-Nitro » Oct 1st, 2009 @ 4:06am

If Fitch is looking to play the Persona DVD on his PC and wants to buy software legit, he can check out Slysoft's AnyDVD. It will simulate whatever region you need for a DVD. I love it. Slysoft.com is the website.

Another great show guys & girl. Keep up the outstanding work. :)
G-Nitro

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Oct 1st, 2009 @ 9:00am

G-Nitro wrote:If Fitch is looking to play the Persona DVD on his PC and wants to buy software legit, he can check out Slysoft's AnyDVD. It will simulate whatever region you need for a DVD. I love it. Slysoft.com is the website.

Another great show guys & girl. Keep up the outstanding work. :)

He could use DVD Shrink to back up the DVD as an Iso then Burn it with no region. That how I get around all my import problems.
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 1st, 2009 @ 9:53am

Hey, guys, the auction for the GFW Radio Reunion Banner is live as of now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0100875361

Please bid generously! Thanks!!!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 1st, 2009 @ 10:55am

wholly fuck, already way outta my price range. Glad to see a decent amount of money will be raised.
lemon-fresh

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 1st, 2009 @ 12:22pm

I watch Smallville because it's so bad it's good but Heroes is so bad its BAAAAAAAD. The writers of Heroes do not know how to write for a superhero show. The only shows on TV right now I would say are good are Supernatural, Fringe and Dollhouse (I'm not sold on Flashforward yet).
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby moderndevil8 » Oct 1st, 2009 @ 12:36pm

I might have to disagree with Master Higgins definition of a European art style in comics.

MetaBaron's artist's style, Travis Charest is Canadian I think, follows more of a movie storyboard tradition of illustration and concept art illustration. Storyboard artists are known for their amazing drafting skills since the usually need to create believable backgrounds/scenery and set pieces/objects, all of which require technical and analytical understanding of what they draw. These detailed qualities also become apparent in the people/figures the artist illustrates, hence the sharp thin lines for a cleaner look and cinematic feel. It's definitely different from traditional super hero comic illustration but it's not mean it's European.

These days I see more of this hybrid of the styles. It's part storyboard and part manga influenced. It looks super clean, sleak, and modern. It uses the thin lines Master Higgins spoke of but the facial expressions seem to take their cues from manga designs. I love this style for those reasons but the coloring can be kind of flat sometimes, like cell shading, if the illustrators don't add the level of contrast, drama, and detail to the drawing that Travis Charest does with his.

This all generally speaking of course.
moderndevil8

Postby achickenchaser » Oct 1st, 2009 @ 3:26pm

Along the lines of what Fitch said on SSF4....

Contrary to popular belief on the internet, hardcore Street Fighter fans are a small minority. Most people don't care about frame data and most will never play in a competitive tournament. Why some people feel as though Capcom should only do what they want is beyond me. Maybe, just maybe, they're trying to please all Street Fighter fans with the new characters. I say bring them on.

You wouldn't be getting a new Street Fighter at all if only the hardcore tournament players bought the game. Capcom likes money, and they aren't gonna make a ton of it selling Street Fighter to a small fraction of the community.
achickenchaser

Postby Klendathu » Oct 2nd, 2009 @ 2:10am

It's weird to hear Flash Forward getting the hate for being similar to Lost. What is the problem with getting another Lost? Would you rather have another survived abortion of a show?

The thing to remember is Flash Forward having been released in 1999! It predates Lost.

Also, nobody was ever suckered into Lost. Straight from the start, Lost was a series in which some really weird shit was going down. The smoke monster was pruning the cast from day one! Lost had plenty of mystery right from the get-go. Nobody mistook that for Desperate Housewives meets Robinson Crusoe.

The only choice Lost had, was whether it was going to explain things mystically with magic and gods, or whether it was going to explain anything exceeding "normality" by advanced science. It toyed around with both concepts, but ultimately it is science fiction. Because even if it all boils down to magic, the users of that magic apply it in a rather scientific way governed by rules and procedures.

This toying around between science and mysticism is the key difference between Lost and Flash Forward. In Lost the characters do have some free will that regularly fires back on them, due to cruel authors breaking their own rules whenever they want. Flash Forward is straight science fiction. No mysticism involved in the riddle, characters do have free will all the time, so expect characters to fight their fate with full force.
Klendathu

Postby Raine » Oct 2nd, 2009 @ 6:24am

So there's a bar/restaurant where all the chicks dress up like french maids and/or other crazy shit? . . . and one of these specializes in chubby chicks? Fuck all, I gotta go to Japan.
Raine

Postby DerBonk » Oct 2nd, 2009 @ 10:04am

Loved the show and finally some comics talk again. I'd love to hear your opinions on Astro City, as I am currently reading through the series and have to say that it might very well be my favorite series so far.

Oh, I also love the board, the last four responses to this thread:
European comic art style (I agree with moderndevil8 btw)
Hardcore vs. regular Street Fighter player demands (sorry, I don't even casually play SF)
The Lost vs. Flash Forward debate (will form my opinion when FF comes out here, so sometime in 2011, maybe)
Girls that dress up and serve you at cafes (I'll take two, thankyouverymuch)
All in one coherent thread. I love you guys!
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby Hellsfire » Oct 2nd, 2009 @ 12:08pm

As a mixed person, I must say I was rather cute as a baby so your parents were right. I'm also rather cute now.

Since there's no Burn Notice, I would love to hear about some more Smallville talk every week. I gave up on that show a few years ago. Good to know it's gotten worse.

My favorite new show on television is Community even though that wasn't my experience at a JC.
Hellsfire

Postby LiQuid » Oct 2nd, 2009 @ 2:00pm

Final Fantasy 8 the best? You broke my heart, Ryan Scott.
LiQuid

Postby Adent » Oct 2nd, 2009 @ 5:12pm

What happened with Fitch Hitch?
Adent

Postby achickenchaser » Oct 2nd, 2009 @ 5:49pm

Final Fantasy 8 was a pretty good game. Square really tried to do more than the PS1 could handle, though. Looking at horribly pixelated stick figures for the entire game wasn't good. I'm surprised they don't milk the PS1 era FF games like they do the older titles. All of the PS1 games could use a remake.

I'm really hoping I'm somehow misunderstanding the previews for FF13 where it states you only have control over one character. Didn't Square already attempt a system similar to this with Final Fantasy Mystic Quest? You know, that Final Fantasy game that was made specifically for us dumb Americans.
achickenchaser

Postby LiQuid » Oct 3rd, 2009 @ 9:42am

Mystic Quest is the third best Final Fantasy after 4 and 9. And you could control the other character if you put them on manual, you big silly head.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Oct 3rd, 2009 @ 1:31pm

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 3rd, 2009 @ 2:03pm

kenzo wrote:Ryan Scott totally redeems himself in my eyes from his hatred of the outdoors with the FF8 love. Best Final Fantasy game. Ever.

We can't be friends anymore Kenzo...
LiQuid

Postby Atomsmasher » Oct 3rd, 2009 @ 3:58pm

I've never seen an episode of Smallville, but from what I gather, seasons 4-7(?) are not very good. Heroes on the other hand, had two bad seasons (and season 2 was technically only half a season anyway). Why is it that Smallville has a larger quantity of bad episodes, yet people are still willing to watch it, while everyone is quick to give up on Heroes? Is it just the fact that it's Superman? Trust me, I'm as frustrated as everyone else about Heroes dip in quality, but I'm still holding on to this little bit of hope that they can right the ship.
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 3rd, 2009 @ 4:43pm

kenzo wrote:Two short thoughts:
Ryan Scott totally redeems himself in my eyes from his hatred of the outdoors with the FF8 love. Best Final Fantasy game. Ever.

The fixation of people in general on dating Asians is more than a little creepy.

fuuuuck that game was terrible.
lemon-fresh

Postby falcon64z8 » Oct 3rd, 2009 @ 8:31pm

Ok this is the second podcast I listen to and I just had to response about Smallville. I wanted to say season 1-3 was great where it show us that this guy is going to be the man of steel. The problem is that they drag the love storyline on and on, where I thought season 4 was weak but it picked up on mid season 5. Then season six introducing Green Arrow and the Justice League was my favorite. Season 7 had its hits and misses and 8 was good for the first half and yes that season finale did blow probably due to the writers realizing that they got picked up for another season and wrote something quit. The start of season 9 I as well as the second episode. You guys just have to look at Smallville as its own universe instead of what it should be as in the comic books.

On more thing, Superman/Batman Public Enemies was such a disappointment. I had such high hopes for it... The only thing that was great was Kevin Conroy being the voice of Batman again.

And as for Heroes, yea I started watching first season than after second season I stop following it. The thing that bugs me is that this show is called "Heroes" but they really don't do anything heroic all it appears to be is that they are trying to figure what the hell they are.
falcon64z8

Postby kenzo » Oct 4th, 2009 @ 4:52am

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2009 @ 7:33am

It didn't have problems, it was a problem. It dared to be bad.
LiQuid

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 4th, 2009 @ 10:27am

Here is something you can talk about for comics for one artist love for both Halo & Batman http://www.studiokm.com/gallery/comicbo ... night.html
ATC 1982

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 4th, 2009 @ 11:11am

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:We can't be friends anymore Kenzo...

Fair enough. I'll admit FF8 had problems, I loved it - flaws and all, and I won't apologize for it. It's a great game that dared to be different.

technically it was fine. The story and "magic" system were the problems.
lemon-fresh

Postby Hellsfire » Oct 4th, 2009 @ 1:05pm

I didn't know people actually liked FF8. Out of all the people I knew who liked it, I heard it sucked and the only thing good about it was the last song. I tried to play it but found it so bad that I only play 3 hours or so. I stopped playing it and I think, played Grandia--a far superior game.
Hellsfire

Next
Forum Statistics