Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Brodeo Reunion “LIVE!” at PAX ‘09

Postby Rydog » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 12:49pm

That's right -- we're getting the GFW Radio band back together for this year's Penny Arcade Expo.

Check out the news story on the main site for details!

EDIT: Sorry for the read-only thing; I'm apparently too dumb to figure out how to make a global announcement that people can reply to. It's fixed now!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Brodeo Reunion “LIVE!” at PAX ‘09

Postby Biggs » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 2:28pm

Sweet. Can't wait. :)
Biggs

Postby Jeku » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 2:34pm

I will, without a doubt, be there. I was there last year and it's only a few hours away from my place :-) Can't wait to meet the Brodeo team :-D
Jeku
Geekbox VIP

Postby Rydog » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 2:44pm

For everyone who's asked about Anthony and Darren on my blog and on the other thread, here's what Aaron Simmer says about it. Basically, it came down to the logistics of how everything's set up in the panel room, and it sounds like anything beyond 5 participants just wasn't feasible.

"I have nothing against Anthony or Darren. When it comes right down to it, I made the decision based on numbers for the event and the closing of the magazine as the dividing line between "old" and "new" CGW/GFW Radio. Six people at a long table having a discussion is difficult if not impossible to pull off. As it is, I think five is pushing it but when it came down to which five, I kept coming back to the core of Jeff, Shawn, Sean, Ryan, and Robert. Darren's last appearance was December 2007 and Anthony wasn't made a regular until (approx.) May 2008. GFW Magazine closed down April 16, 2008 and the core really consisted of Jeff, Shawn, Sean, Ryan and Robert. Those were the main touchstones that went toward making the decisions -- with the full knowledge there would be people riding against the decision of the panel participants. I don't think anyone can argue that Anthony added lunacy and insight to the Brodeo, which is why it was so hard to break the news to him, especially after he mentioned the reunion on Rebel FM a few weeks ago."
Ryan Scott
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby kwolf » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 7:23pm

This is pretty awesome news. Will be really cool to see how everyone is getting along, and trying to fit back into the old groove of GFW podcasting even for one time.
kwolf

Postby racingfreak92 » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 7:29pm

I say boo to this, i love GFW but it sounds like a incredible waste of money and not having (or not allowing it seems) Anthony or Darren is a bummer.
LiQuid wrote:I would never go on a cruise because I think whales are scary. Major Nelson went on a cruise last week and he posted a bunch of pictures and I was looking at the pictures of all the whales and even that was scary. Also large ships are scary.
racingfreak92

Postby czartim » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 8:39pm

Two words: HELL YEAH!

Can't wait!

PLEASE MAKE SURE THE AUDIO WORKS. Usually the audio from these things are almost impossible to listen to. Not all of us can be there. ;)

I wish Darren and Anthony could be there, but I'll take what I can get. Can you guys maybe all get together privately after and do another one with everybody?
Thy Czar hath spoken. May his words inspire and thoughts provoke.
czartim

Postby nkarasch » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 9:45pm

and why aren't jeff and shawn on the geekbox? you guys were the best
Steam Name - BacksideNoseblunt
XBL - BcksideNoseblnt
friend me, I have no friends
nkarasch

Postby czartim » Mar 14th, 2009 @ 10:23pm

ZenGaijin wrote:I expect much off topic discussion and Shawn to go off on a 20 mintue tirade on how games can be some more than they are only to 5 minutes later tell a story of how ge griefed a kid in company of heroes.

I know, won't it be great!
czartim

Postby Jailem » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 2:19am

Well I gotta say I have to disagree with his concept of "the core" For me Jeff, Shawn, Sean, Darren, and Ryan were the core. From Mar '06 - Dec '07, they made up the cast. That's 22 months of podcasting. Then 9 months later, it was over. I always saw Robert as a special guest. Maybe Aaron didn't start listening till later on. Or maybe given Dr Chill's popularity he felt more people would be upset if he was absent, as opposed to Darren or Anthony.
In any case, it may not be the optimal situation, but it is happening, and that is good.
Jailem

Postby Dan » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 4:17am

This is going to be epic.
XBL/PSN Gamertag: DV27
Dan

Postby sarge mat » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 5:39am

Looking forward to it a lot, but not as much now that we know Anthony and Darren can't be on it. Can they not share a few mic's hell something like 8 of us used a single mic for a round table thing and it turned out ok. Must suck for Anthony I remember him talking about going to it on Rebel FM. :cry:

It should still be epic though.
sarge mat

Postby WickedCobra03 » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 8:51am

I am so coming to this thing this year. I was going to come last year, but being around Labor day there is always stuff going on and I had college classes starting again last year teh day after labor day so it would have been hard to get back home and then get back down to school before the first day of classes. Anyways, I will totally be there. Btw, if you can, try and set up everything as did back at 1up. Those random days when you had a list of games to talk about, but didn't and you would have Shawn Elliott talking about meeting this older internet chess griefer on a plane! Jeff reading random nerdom in his hilarious voice and candy! Make sure you get a broken vending machine for ryan scott!

I CANNOT WAIT! :mrgreen:
WickedCobra03

Postby czartim » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 1:40pm

The more I think about it, the more sucky it seems for Darren and Anthony to be left out, I say we start a petition.
czartim

Postby Jaconius » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 5:12pm

czartim wrote:The more I think about it, the more sucky it seems for Darren and Anthony to be left out, I say we start a petition.

We all know how successful internet petitions are.
Jaconius

Postby czartim » Mar 15th, 2009 @ 8:44pm

Jaconius wrote:
czartim wrote:The more I think about it, the more sucky it seems for Darren and Anthony to be left out, I say we start a petition.

We all know how successful internet petitions are.

DON'T LOSE FAITH, WE CAN DO IT--- Bah, you're probably right.
czartim

Postby KindGalaxy » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 2:28am

I can't think of anything more wanking than some dude in the Q&A saying, "Yo, Yo Shawn, You rock man! Tell us a grocery store story with beef meat!! Yo, Yo, GFW Radio, Yo Yo! YEEAAAHHH!!"
It'll more be about Sean Molloy and his transition from a WoW gamer to working for Blizzard, Shawn Elliot and his move to Boston with his girlfriend and cat, Jeff Green's family views having not only remained in the gaming scene but to delve deeper into the rabbit hole and now in game development and Ryan Scott, well by then he'll have worked with Nvision/Future for a few months and we can hear his views on his transition from magazine to web and now back to magazine; the comparisons of Ziff and Future.
GFW is gone, it's not coming back, and if all we want to hear are grocery store stories, dreaming of lord of the rings, wang wang, then we have over 100 episodes of this podcast already for that. These men of GFW have grown up, and by the time this reunion happens it will have been almost a year. I for one am not expecting a GFW-esque reunion. Just an update on their last year and how their transitions from one career to the next has gone for them.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby DH_Jin » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 6:56am

demonol wrote:This will be an epic segment, can't wait to hear it!

"hello and welcome to the brodeo", those words will never have sounded so good

…for MAXIMUM brodeosity. :D
DH_Jin

Postby Jaconius » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 6:38pm

For all who are actually going to PAX, i expect a massive roar after Jeff says "Welcome to the brodeo". I will accept the ear destruction in stride.
Jaconius

Postby Jeku » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 11:17pm

I immediately purchased a PAX 3-day pass after hearing about this :ugeek:
Jeku
Geekbox VIP

Postby Rydog » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 1:47pm

Redgoon23 wrote:I don't understand why they can't have 6 people on it. They JUST did it on Good Grief(and that was a very good episode btw).

Having a group discussion around a table and having a group discussion while sitting at a long convention table are two very different things; you can't see each other's facial expressions and really react the same way, so the flow is a lot different. I actually think it's gonna be a pretty weird sort of podcast/panel/whatever even with just the 5 of us, way different than what we're used to or what you'd normally get out of us. Plus, the more people who are on, the longer it goes because more people are talking, and we'll have a hard time limit. These are the reasons for limiting it to 5 -- it's really a matter of logistics.
Ryan Scott
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby Kris Carter » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 1:51pm

You guys HAVE to do something like this for the PAX East show next year! I so wish I could make it to the west coast but I can't afford it.
Kris Carter

Postby Alpha » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 2:37pm

Rydog wrote:Having a group discussion around a table and having a group discussion while sitting at a long convention table are two very different things; you can't see each other's facial expressions and really react the same way, so the flow is a lot different. I actually think it's gonna be a pretty weird sort of podcast/panel/whatever even with just the 5 of us, way different than what we're used to or what you'd normally get out of us. Plus, the more people who are on, the longer it goes because more people are talking, and we'll have a hard time limit. These are the reasons for limiting it to 5 -- it's really a matter of logistics.

Yea... but its the Brodeo, nothing limits the brodeo, nothing has and nothing will. It will be great anyway!
Alpha

Postby czartim » Mar 18th, 2009 @ 8:59pm

Got the email today, PAX gave them the room for free. Can't wait.
czartim

Postby Klendathu » Mar 20th, 2009 @ 4:55am

We should have a Hero of the Web writing/hunting contest, so Shawn has something to read out.
Klendathu

Postby Rydog » Mar 20th, 2009 @ 9:04am

Klendathu wrote:We should have a Hero of the Web writing/hunting contest, so Shawn has something to read out.

I'm sure he'll come prepared wit h something good. :)
Ryan Scott
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby BinaryMind » Mar 22nd, 2009 @ 12:19am

Funny how there are so many outraged at the absence of two people from the podcast when we should be very grateful this is happening at all.
BinaryMind

Postby czartim » Mar 22nd, 2009 @ 1:27am

BinaryMind wrote:Funny how there are so many outraged at the absence of two people from the podcast when we should be very grateful this is happening at all.

Now that Shawn, Jeff, and Robert are on a podcast and Ryan has his, I'm not dying for this as much.
czartim

Postby CuZZa » Mar 24th, 2009 @ 1:02am

Well, judging how most podcasts and things like this go at PAX, if Anthony is there they might have him jump in for part of it, much like has happened in the past 1up Yours Live @ PAX shows have done with Shawn Elliott, Adam Sessler and other guests. They have a decent amount of time for the panel so cycling some extras through like Anthony and Darren wouldn't be out of the question I would think. I'm just happy it is happening and we can see the guys live and share it with the audience. It's going to be great.
CuZZa

Postby Rydog » Mar 27th, 2009 @ 7:05pm

BinaryMind wrote:Funny how there are so many outraged at the absence of two people from the podcast when we should be very grateful this is happening at all.

I really promise that I am not trying to sound like a giant dick when I say this, but: Yes, BinaryMind is kinda right. Really, this was all pitched to us and assembled out of the blue by an outside individual who really wanted to see it happen -- if not for him, the idea probably wouldn't have crossed our minds. I promise, I'm just excited that's it's even happening!
Ryan Scott
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Next
Forum Statistics