Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 34

Postby Rydog » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 12:14am

This week's episode is up, with extra-special guest star (and Karen Chu's other half) Patrick Joynt. Check it out right here!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 34

Postby Skrattybones » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 4:27am

Jeese, but does Patrick Joynt have a voice you can listen to for hours or what? I love the Geekbox, but more of him please.
Skrattybones

Postby Underworld » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 4:34am

Patrick is an interloper. He is sassy but I do like where he takes the conversations. He seems very intelligent. It kinda pissed me off when he was ribbing Fitch but I guess he was just being sarcastic. Altogether another great podcast.
Underworld

Postby Tobli » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 5:23am

*Shakes fist in rage at Patrick for talking smack about Lost Odyssey*
One of the best jrpg experiences so far this gen, fact :x .

*weeps for the sorry state of Japanese game development*

"Shooters, ehh"
(decided to acquire the 360 after the FF13 multi announcement)
Nice.

FF12..Devastate the game? What? FF12 is probably the FF where i felt the least powerful.
Tobli

Postby Lord-Audie » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 5:42am

I'm heartbroken at the poor assessment they had (especially patrick) on the pspgo.
It seems they are missing the point.

- Pspgo is not meant to replace the original psp.

- Psn and steam are basically the same... but ppl bitch about psn but not about steam.

- The fact that the psp 3000 and the pspgo have the same features... makes buying the pspgo completely YOUR CHOICE... sony could have easily put features on the Go to completely split the market (hello DSi Ware) but they didn't .... i rather have a smaller device and no physical media... that was my choice

- Unlike any other service the psp now is going to offer day-day release with retail and digital for new games ... tell that to games on demand.

- if you complain about the psn prices for psp games.... blame retail ... the fact that they can't undercut retail to prevent a backslash from them, means that the prices have to stay on par.

I clearly enjoy how ppl are saying on the net "BUY THE PSP 3000, SHOW SONY" ... what's sony supposed to say to that? "thank you for buying a psp?"

Ppl need to chill on the pspgo already.. like the ppl on giantbomb said.. the system didn't rape your mother.

And the ppl that mostly bitch about the psp go *gasp* are usually ppl that haven't even tried it nor bought it, proven by the fact that they complain about the controls when unlike my already sold psp phat, the pspgo doesn't cramp my hands... but that's just me.

./rant
Please join the #geekbox IRC channel at irc.rizon.net

for a quick browser way use http://webchat.rizon.net/

Just put a nick and #geekbox and GO! join the pHuN
Lord-Audie

Postby Pepto » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 6:14am

Mr. Karen Chu was great. Karen needs to drag him along next time.
Pepto

Postby Darvoid » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 7:20am

Great show this week! More Patrick Joynt please! That is all.
Darvoid

Postby overhere » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 7:58am

Someone tell Patrick that laughing at your own jokes doesn't make them funny. I found him really arrogant and his voice grating on the ears. Hopefully he doesn't become a regular on the show. :evil:
overhere

Postby Tobli » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 8:07am

Lord-Audie wrote:- Psn and steam are basically the same... but ppl bitch about psn but not about steam.

People do bitch about steam to some extent. Search for "steam dollar=euro" .

At least with pc gaming there is a retail option, and other download services.
Last edited by Tobli on Oct 8th, 2009 @ 10:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Tobli

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 8:12am

Lord-Audie wrote:I'm heartbroken at the poor assessment they had (especially patrick) on the pspgo.

- Psn and steam are basically the same... but ppl bitch about psn but not about steam.

- The fact that the psp 3000 and the pspgo have the same features... makes buying the pspgo completely YOUR CHOICE... sony could have easily put features on the Go to completely split the market (hello DSi Ware) but they didn't .... i rather have a smaller device and no physical media... that was my choice

- Unlike any other service the psp now is going to offer day-day release with retail and digital for new games ... tell that to games on demand.

- if you complain about the psn prices for psp games.... blame retail ... the fact that they can't undercut retail to prevent a backslash from them, means that the prices have to stay on par.

I clearly enjoy how ppl are saying on the net "BUY THE PSP 3000, SHOW SONY" ... what's sony supposed to say to that? "thank you for buying a psp?"

Ppl need to chill on the pspgo already.. like the ppl on giantbomb said.. the system didn't rape your mother.

And the ppl that mostly bitch about the psp go *gasp* are usually ppl that haven't even tried it nor bought it, proven by the fact that they complain about the controls when unlike my already sold psp phat, the pspgo doesn't cramp my hands... but that's just me.

./rant

Take it easy man, it's not like someones mother raped your pspgo.
lemon-fresh

Postby ChronicStupidity » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 10:43am

Patrick definitely dominates the conversation a lot eh? A bit arrogant sounding too. He reminds me of a "nerd" i'd see at a comic shop or game store arguing with his friends or the sales people about nonsense where the other parties involved would just wish he'd stop talking. But at the same time he's pretty fucking funny. Would love to see both him and Karen on at the same time and see how the podcast goes.

Approved. Bring him back.
ChronicStupidity

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 10:48am

Great episode. No one thought Left 4 Dead 2 could be one of the best rated games this year?

Master Higgins, if the only reason you got a 360 instead of a PS3 is because FFXIII coming out for it, you should have done more research. FFXIII Versus (looks way better than FFXIII IMO) is still a PS3 exclusive as far as I know.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Tobli » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 11:42am

Mr_eX wrote:you should have done more research. FFXIII Versus (looks way better than FFXIII IMO) is still a PS3 exclusive as far as I know.

Versus looking much better than FF13? :?

I think that exclusivity depends on the 360 sales of FF13. Since it seems like they would need to sell a lot to make a decent profit based on what i have heard.
Tobli

Postby SpacePope58 » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 12:02pm

I would enjoy Patrick more if he backed of the conversation a little and didn't argue about every topic but he was an amazing guest... ish... person. I say bring him back soon.
one more thing a little table top role playing goes a long way. I found myself wondering when they were going to get back on topic.
SpacePope58

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 12:19pm

Tobli wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:you should have done more research. FFXIII Versus (looks way better than FFXIII IMO) is still a PS3 exclusive as far as I know.

Versus looking much better than FF13? :?

I think that exclusivity depends on the 360 sales of FF13. Since it seems like they would need to sell a lot to make a decent profit based on what i have heard.

FFXIII looks like every other Final Fantasy but Versus looks like something different and better.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Ricken » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 1:16pm

Bring back Mr. Karen Chu as often as possible, he is an amazing addition and I love the way he stirs the conversation.
Ricken

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 1:26pm

Ricken wrote:Bring back Mr. Karen Chu as often as possible, he is an amazing addition and I love the way he stirs the conversation.

It's also nice to hear from someone that doesn't hate the PS3 on a podcast.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Cris » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 1:29pm

Patrick Joynt who said all we need are CD Keys to stop PC piracy doesn't know what he's talking about. Demigod was massively pirated.

Also Orson Scott Card is one of hundreds of Epic employees. I bet there is an anti gay person working for most game companies.
Last edited by Cris on Oct 8th, 2009 @ 2:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cris

Postby Ricken » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 1:54pm

And to comment on Ryan's argument against FFXII, the Zodiac Spear which you were nearly guaranteed to get from a chest later in the game if you didn't open any of the four arbitrary chests earlier in the game is nonsense. That specific implementation is stupid on Square's part, however not only is the Zodiac Spear not the best weapon in the game, because while it does have the single strongest raw power stat, it rarely combos. There are much better weapons in the game.

Not to mention that this isn't the only condition for acquiring the Zodiac Spear, you can just go the normal route of getting it through low percentage drops, the chest is just the easy way to get it if you know how to.
Ricken

Postby DoctorShakalu » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 2:03pm

Hey... just joined the forums today... I have listened from the start but now I must comment....

/inv Patrick to the podcast as a regular....

The main thing I like about him is that no nerdy thing is too nerdy. His discussion of larping and white wolf products made me happy..... Not because I play any of them(never have) but the simple fact he was unashamed to discuss his interests. Very often in gaming(Is that what this is about) podcasts, this one in particular, I feel like the participants often poo-poo certain topics... Ewww too nerdy or noone is interested. Most of the time I was just thinking... yay lets talk about this... and its shut down. Table top gaming, CCGs, larping... even WOW to some degree are all persona non grata on the geekbox. What is the definition of geek then?

I really enjoyed Patrick on the show. Please bring him back.

/endrant
DoctorShakalu

Postby LiQuid » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 2:09pm

Mid-episode but man Patrick does really fit the show pretty damn well. I'd like to see him back once after Karen and Mike get back to see how he mixes with the whole crew. The only downside is that it does kind of feel like he sorta took over the show and is driving the boat, etc. He seems to have a really strong, confident personality, so it just might be the juxtaposition of that to the rest of the cast, who are more soft spoken, that makes him seem more in your face. I still really like him.

Oh and somebody let Fitch know that there's at least one Geekbox fan that's also a soccer fan.
LiQuid

Postby Richard Kain » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 2:38pm

Wow, Patrick Chu was really mixing things up on his debut episode. Threw a wrench into the mechanism of the show's proceedings every chance he got.

I loved it!

I'm not sure I would recommend him as a show regular. But I would definitely want to hear him come back on every month or so. It didn't take him long to establish his credibility as a massive geek.
Richard Kain

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 2:45pm

Great to hear Patrick Joynt again, and his voice sounded alot clearer than with the Gamespy Debriefing Podcast, Geekbox's recording equipment must be good. Haven't listened to it all yet, but hopefully the job hunt goes good :!:
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby DoctorShakalu » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 2:45pm

PS.... I said poo poo....

:shock:
DoctorShakalu

Postby kftgr » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 2:51pm

(registered to complain about this ep.)
Too much Patrick!

re: Shadow Complex. People should really, really separate the creator with the creation. It's unfair to the other people that _their_ game -- not purely OSC's game -- gets saddled with the bigot's views. Are you absolutely certain that there wasn't a pro-gay employee at Chair? Would be pretty ironic if that was the case. Shadow Complex was a huge success, doubtful that anyone got hurt from the boycott; but there will be future instances of this situation. You guys have closer ties to the gaming industry than most people, so should be doubly concerned when people base their spending on politics/morals/religion/whatever and NOT the merits of the game. Looking at it a different way, if you support the boycott, would you also support buying a game purely because a high-profile gay proponent was tied to its development?

Hmm, would it be hypocritical to 1-star the podcast just because I don't like the views of one the participants?

Then again, there's the Read or Die mention....but then there's the Lost Odyssey hate.
Last edited by kftgr on Oct 8th, 2009 @ 2:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
kftgr

Postby Richard Kain » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 2:52pm

Lord-Audie wrote:I'm heartbroken at the poor assessment they had (especially patrick) on the pspgo.

Mmmm....I'm going to have fun with this one.

If it wasn't broke, why fix it? If it isn't supposed to eventually replace the PSP, what is the point of releasing it at all?

Actually, some people have recently been complaining that Steam keeps too much of the profits from game sales. But that's not important. Comparing PSN and Steam directly doesn't work. Steam is purely a software service, and is not tied to any specific hardware platform. PSN is service specifically tied to Sony-produced hardware. Also, while Steam has regular "sales" on games, Sony has openly stated that they will not be undercutting MSRP on the PSN.

So you're saying they are providing the consumer with more options? Of course, that additional option happens to be a bad one, with no benefits to the consumer aside from a slightly reduced form-factor. I don't think it is unfair to criticize Sony for providing the market with a bad alternative to a perfectly functional platform.

And you actually think this is a good thing? It just shows how tight a grip Sony has over the distribution system that fuels the PSP Go. I do not find their autocratic grip on PSP development to be a positive step.

Why should we blame retail? Operating PSN is far less expensive than the system retail operates on. Retail can't drop their prices to compete with digital distribution, because they would lose money. I can't really blame retail for refusing to take it in the bum just so PSN can dip their prices. And it just highlights the obvious problem with the PSP Go as a hardware platform.

I already own a PSP 1000, why on earth would I buy a PSP Go? My current PSP can do everything the Go does, except for the pause/save game feature.
Richard Kain

Postby Kifftopher » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 2:57pm

Cris wrote:Also Orson Scott Card is one of hundreds of Epic employees. I bet there is an anti gay person working for most game companies.

The difference is that those people aren't high profile anti-gay rights advocates who use their fame and money to support anti-gay rights organizations. He is a member of the board of directors of the National Organization for Marriage, for example.
Kifftopher

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 3:02pm

Mr_eX wrote:
Ricken wrote:Bring back Mr. Karen Chu as often as possible, he is an amazing addition and I love the way he stirs the conversation.

It's also nice to hear from someone that doesn't hate the PS3 on a podcast.

Enough already! We get that you like the PS3.
lemon-fresh

Postby kwoktalk » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 3:13pm

Kifftopher wrote:
Cris wrote:Also Orson Scott Card is one of hundreds of Epic employees. I bet there is an anti gay person working for most game companies.

The difference is that those people aren't high profile anti-gay rights advocates who use their fame and money to support anti-gay rights organizations. He is a member of the board of directors of the National Organization for Marriage, for example.

I just found it odd that he rationalized being able to pirate it b/c he didn't agree with his opinions. I can totally understand boycotting it and not playing it as a result, that's the person's choice. Not trying to start a huge deal about it, just that just stuck out to me.
kwoktalk

Postby ATC 1982 » Oct 8th, 2009 @ 4:14pm

Mr. Karen you can restart a race in Burnout now I do it often
ATC 1982

Next
Forum Statistics