Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby Master Higgins » May 26th, 2009 @ 11:34am

You wanna read some new comics? Post what you liked in this thread, and our highly trained team of comics experts will recommend some stuff to you.

Never read any comics, but wanna give some a try? Post what other things you like in this thread, and our highly trained team of comics experts will recommend some stuff to you.

Let's recommend some comics!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Re: The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby Master Higgins » May 26th, 2009 @ 11:48am

Here are some general recommendations. These are good for new readers, or long-time readers looking for something different!

If you like zombies, check out... The Walking Dead, from Image Comics

If you like fantasy, mixed with real-life, check out... Fables, from Vertigo/DC Comics

If you're interested in superheroes, check out... Grant Morrison's run on Justice League of America, Geoff Johns; run on Green Lantern or The Flash, Robert Kirkman's Invincible, Mark Waid and Alex Ross' Kingdom Come, Kurt Busiek and George Perez's The Avengers, or Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men

If you like strange westerns, check out... Jonah Hex from DC Comics

If you like space/sci-fi, check out... The new R.E.B.E.L.S, from DC, or Nova or Guardians of the Galaxy, both from Marvel Comics

If you like 80s/Britpop music, check out... Chynna Clugston's Blue Monday or Phonogram
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Info » May 26th, 2009 @ 1:35pm

If you like Cyberpunk novels like Neuromancer and Snow Crash, check out: The Surrogates by Robert Venditti and Brett Weldele and The Beast Trilogy by Enki Bilal. They are making a movie out of The Surrogates, but the tone of the movie looks to be very different than the comics.

I guess We3 kinda counts as cyberpunk too, it is a really awesome little story by Grant Morrison. It was like a badass violent version of Homeward Bound.
Info

Postby Sokkratez » May 26th, 2009 @ 4:14pm

Well, I'll just refer to my site. I make recommendations there regularly: http://downloadablesuicide.com/section/comic-tips/
Sokkratez

Postby wrathloki » May 26th, 2009 @ 6:17pm

Ok I already made a thread but I'm guessing I'm the reason you made this, and I'll probably get more replies here. I've read all of Preacher, The Walking Dead, Y: The Last Man, Watchmen and really loved them all. I've read through issue 75 of Fables and it's my new favorite series, I'm on trade 4 of Sandman and love it. I don't like superhero stuff so please none of that stuff, I've read a couple trades of 30 Days of Night and found it to be ungood, I read a trade of 100 bullets and found it to be so so (maybe it gets better?). What do you think I'd like given those that I've read and loved.
wrathloki

Postby exwingzero » May 27th, 2009 @ 9:43am

Hey wrathloki, my recommendation to you would be Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing it was a wonderful story and just epic in every sense of the words. Another good one is Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic, it's a trade with 4 volumes so I'm not talking about the series (never got to read it). And for more grounded stuff try Criminal, the first volume is called Coward, it's really good crime noir and the art is gorgeous. And for bad assery try Northlanders, the first volume is about Vikings and it's pretty cool and again beautiful art. Hope you like them.
If someone ask if you're a god, YOU SAY YES!
exwingzero

Postby scribl » May 28th, 2009 @ 2:26pm

I'm not really a fan of superhero comics, but mostly because they're endlessly cyclical and formulaic. I don't have anything against the superhero trope itself.

So, if that sounds like you, I think you'd really enjoy Powers. They're pretty slow at publishing the trades, but there are currently twelve great volumes for you to enjoy.

Powers is a gritty take on superheroes with a crime noir spin. With writing by Bendis and fantastic art by Oeming, it's probably my favorite series out there right now. The story follows Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, two regular (sort of) cops tasked with dealing with the city's superpowered criminals. Unlike most superhero series, Powers has a continuing plot with characters that change and grow as the series develops, so don't pass it up just because you saw the word "superhero"!
scribl

Postby wrathloki » May 28th, 2009 @ 2:51pm

scribl wrote:I'm not really a fan of superhero comics, but mostly because they're endlessly cyclical and formulaic. I don't have anything against the superhero trope itself.

So, if that sounds like you, I think you'd really enjoy Powers. They're pretty slow at publishing the trades, but there are currently twelve great volumes for you to enjoy.

Powers is a gritty take on superheroes with a crime noir spin. With writing by Bendis and fantastic art by Oeming, it's probably my favorite series out there right now. The story follows Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, two regular (sort of) cops tasked with dealing with the city's superpowered criminals. Unlike most superhero series, Powers has a continuing plot with characters that change and grow as the series develops, so don't pass it up just because you saw the word "superhero"!

Well that's pretty much the main reason I don't like superhero stuff, that and the stupid spandex costumes. I'll have to check this out.
wrathloki

Postby AJR » May 30th, 2009 @ 10:40am

Criminal might be up your alley. It's just a nice collection of gritty noir stories about good (and bad) people doing bad things. It's swell. I've read the first four trades and they've all been fantastic.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby Kris Carter » Jun 4th, 2009 @ 1:18pm

I almost have to eat some crow about recommending this but Batman and Robin #1 that shipped yesterday was really good.

I don't want to spoil anything but there are some fantastic moments in this book that gave me a serious nerdgasm. The characterization is spot on and the dialog is spot on. The new villain Pyg is creepy in that Se7en/Saw sort of way that has an air of surrealism that has been nonexistent in DC since Allan Moore left.
Kris Carter

Postby piemanyeah » Jun 5th, 2009 @ 1:07am

Are these comics available at comic's conspiracy? If they are I probaly will just drive over since I live in Fremont(around 30min-1hr depending on what part of sunnyvale).
piemanyeah

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 5th, 2009 @ 11:32am

piemanyeah wrote:Are these comics available at comic's conspiracy? If they are I probaly will just drive over since I live in Fremont(around 30min-1hr depending on what part of sunnyvale).

Many of them are, yes! :D
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby myth » Jun 6th, 2009 @ 11:13am

For alternative comics, I recommend Transmetropolitan, Fell, and Strangers In Paradise.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
myth

Postby Tricky » Jun 9th, 2009 @ 3:54am

I would thoroughly recommend trying DMZ by Brian Wood/Riccardo Burchielli on DC Vertigo - it's commentary on the Iraq war is a bit hamfisted at times but it's had me utterly hooked since issue 1.
Tricky

Postby stankit » Jun 9th, 2009 @ 10:45pm

if I have never read an X-Men comic, but I want to, should I just go with Astonishing X-Men? Btw, I want normal X-Men stuff, no spin-offs or anything like that
stankit

Postby Info » Jun 10th, 2009 @ 12:00am

I just finished the Astonishing X-men paperbacks, also having never read a X-men comic before and I loved them. I did end up looking up some background information on wikipedia while reading, mostly about Colossus' history.
Info

Postby HurricaneDean » Jun 13th, 2009 @ 7:30pm

Ultimate X-Men would be easy to get into. A complete series reboot, and it's got a really good art style (at first, anyways) to grab you, then a pretty decent story arc to keep you interested (it's no Watchmen, however).
Thanks to The Geekbox, I have cured my addiction to gaming. I now have an addiction to comics. And Lost. =/
HurricaneDean

Postby jensemann » Jun 15th, 2009 @ 3:36pm

Well how about something depressing.The Photographer: Into War-torn Afghanistan with Doctors Without Borders by Emmanuel Guibert
They finally translated that into english. I got it in 2004 in french. Its about a french photo journalist in the 80s in Afghanistan. (A-)

And If you what something more light hearted even if it is not a real comic, more illustrated novels, read the Zamonia series from Walter Moers. The fist is "the 13 1/2 lives of captain bluebaer". Its the most hysterical novel ever. And I was impressed how well the humor translated. (A+)

And If you are Lusting for something weird try the "black hole" by Charles Burns. I got it as a birthday present for one of my friends. And I had no idea what I was getting myself into. But the art style is amazing, old fashioned but unique. (B)

Enjoy
Jensemann
jensemann

Postby Jaebird » Jun 15th, 2009 @ 7:58pm

What are some good recommendations for the following characters/teams?:

Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League and Society, The Avengers, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Captain America, and Spider-Man.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby AP-Zac » Jun 17th, 2009 @ 1:48pm

I recomend Preacher, Walking Dead, Watchmen, Fables, Y: The lastman, The Killing Joke, and Sandman. I especailly recomend Death: The High Cost of Living
Podcast: www.averageplayer.libsyn.com
Twitter: averageplayer
AP-Zac

Postby kwoktalk » Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 1:14pm

Jaebird wrote:What are some good recommendations for the following characters/teams?:

Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League and Society, The Avengers, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Captain America, and Spider-Man.

I’m not too knowledgeable on the DC stuff, but as for some of the Marvel ones:

Avengers – If you want to keep more current, start with the New Avengers series, which has some great Bendis work combined with some great art (Finch/Yu)

Captain America – Brubaker’s run on Captain America has been pretty classic. There are two omnibuses (not sure if the 2nd one is out quite yet) that contain the 50+ issue series to date.

Hulk – My podcast currently has two Hulk trades as the book of the month for the remainder of June, so if you want to try Ground Zero (Peter David / Todd McFarlane) for some older Hulk stuff or new Hulk (red Hulk – Loeb/McGuinness) you can get it extra discounted at instocktrades.com. Ground Zero is a bit more character-examination and introspective, but Red Hulk is just straight up action and punching.

Spider-Man - You could start with Brand New Day and catch up with the current issues.
kwoktalk

Postby Jaebird » Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 4:12pm

kwoktalk wrote:Hulk – My podcast currently has two Hulk trades as the book of the month for the remainder of June, so if you want to try Ground Zero (Peter David / Todd McFarlane) for some older Hulk stuff or new Hulk (red Hulk – Loeb/McGuinness) you can get it extra discounted at instocktrades.com. Ground Zero is a bit more character-examination and introspective, but Red Hulk is just straight up action and punching.

I've been reading Hulk since it started and the suspense as to who is Rulk is killing me >_<. I'll have to check out Ground Zero. By the way, what is your podcast? Always fun to listen to people banter while I play games :P

kwoktalk wrote:Spider-Man - You could start with Brand New Day and catch up with the current issues.

I would like to say that I have been keeping up with Spider-Man since the Back in Black, and I've been enjoying it so far. Can't wait to see how American Son will resolve and what the title has in store once MJ comes back. Not to sound like I'm disregarding your recommendation, but would you know of any good trades? I've read Spider-Man: Blue and Reign (love them both, too).
Jaebird

Postby kwoktalk » Jun 23rd, 2009 @ 7:35am

Jaebird wrote:I've been reading Hulk since it started and the suspense as to who is Rulk is killing me >_<. I'll have to check out Ground Zero. By the way, what is your podcast? Always fun to listen to people banter while I play games :P

I would like to say that I have been keeping up with Spider-Man since the Back in Black, and I've been enjoying it so far. Can't wait to see how American Son will resolve and what the title has in store once MJ comes back. Not to sound like I'm disregarding your recommendation, but would you know of any good trades? I've read Spider-Man: Blue and Reign (love them both, too).

Shoot, I was going to recommend Reign, but looks like you already read that. I really enjoyed that too. I would think more of the classic stories might be worth checking out like the Death of Gwen Stacey or Kraven's Last Hunt. Possibly the omnibus if you have extra cash lying around.

As for the podcast, there's a link in the thread. Thanks for trying it out if you do.
kwoktalk

Postby Jaebird » Jun 23rd, 2009 @ 7:41am

kwoktalk wrote:As for the podcast, there's a link in the thread. Thanks for trying it out if you do.

Oh, I didn't notice it there.

/searches podcast in Zune Marketplace... podcast not found

/sadface
Jaebird

Postby kwoktalk » Jun 23rd, 2009 @ 9:20am

Jaebird wrote:
kwoktalk wrote:As for the podcast, there's a link in the thread. Thanks for trying it out if you do.

Oh, I didn't notice it there.

/searches podcast in Zune Marketplace... podcast not found

/sadface

Sorry, its MP4 in iTunes.

Anyways, back to comics! I've been digging Scott Pilgrim a lot. Anyone have recommendations for books similar to that?
kwoktalk

Postby Jaebird » Jun 23rd, 2009 @ 9:15pm

I'm currently reading "Superman: For All Seasons," and I already consider it one of my favorite Superman stories (which isn't saying much, because I've only read All-Star Vol. 1 and Superman/Batman (yeah, I count that, too. want to naked wrestle about it?)).

I'm half-way through the book, and I 100% recommend this to anyone. It's Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. Nuff said.
Jaebird

Postby kwoktalk » Jun 24th, 2009 @ 6:31am

Jaebird wrote:I'm currently reading "Superman: For All Seasons," and I already consider it one of my favorite Superman stories (which isn't saying much, because I've only read All-Star Vol. 1 and Superman/Batman (yeah, I count that, too. want to naked wrestle about it?)).

I'm half-way through the book, and I 100% recommend this to anyone. It's Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. Nuff said.

All-Star Supes is possibly one of my favorite series of all time. Amazing stuff.
kwoktalk

Postby Retreadd68 » Jun 24th, 2009 @ 8:19am

I like Invincible, The walking Dead & proof what are some others similar to those?
Retreadd68

Postby exwingzero » Jun 24th, 2009 @ 1:32pm

Retreadd68 wrote:I like Invincible, The walking Dead & proof what are some others similar to those?

Give Hellboy a go. I think you might like that.
If someone ask if you're a god, YOU SAY YES!
exwingzero

Postby Info » Jun 25th, 2009 @ 9:01pm

Does anyone know if the Lovelorn TPB is the beginning of Matt Fraction's run on Uncanny X-men? Is that a good starting point for the main series?
Info

Next
Forum Statistics