Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby LiQuid » Oct 6th, 2011 @ 5:44am

Punisher just fed a man to piranhas. Then he punched a polar bear in the face and ran away. Then the enraged polar bear upper cutted a mobsters head clean off his body.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 7:35am

Wait til you see what he does to Ma Gnucci in the last issue... :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 10:22am

SPOILARZ! :lol:

She's already limbless, how much worse can it get?!

I can't wait to find out!!!
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 7th, 2011 @ 10:33am

LiQuid wrote:SPOILARZ! :lol:

She's already limbless, how much worse can it get?!

I can't wait to find out!!!

Just wait.

Since you liked this so much, I recommend you move on to the next volume and the ridiculous shit they did with The Russian.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby SerpentineZERO » Oct 23rd, 2011 @ 2:32pm

So, the Legion of Superheroes looks sorta interesting, but apparently the relaunch titles are really not good starting points. What's a good, in-continuity intro to them? Assuming there is one, that is.
SerpentineZERO

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 26th, 2011 @ 2:43pm

Read the last chapter of Spider-Island. It's a clusterfuck of epic proportions as I suspected.

The bullet points:

Spoiler: show
1. Peter gets his Spider-Sense back.
2. Kaine is cured of his dgenerative clone disease.
3. Miles Warren is dead for good(?)
4. Mary Jane ends up saving Peter in a critical moment.
5. She is reminded of why she loved Peter so much.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Oct 26th, 2011 @ 3:26pm

I'm starting to see why everybody talks mean mess against Marvel lately. I read the synopses of Spider Island, Schism and Fear Itself and they all sound ludicrous. They seem content with just flinging as much bullshit into a gigantic crossover pile as they can and then wrapping it up in the most convoluted way possible. Even the most ridiculous of DC events is much, much easier to wrap my head around.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 28th, 2011 @ 7:31am

I'm gonna wait until the Spider Island aftermath in November to pass final judgment, but this has been a clusterfuck of epic proportions, even for Marvel.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Roadie Brock » Nov 2nd, 2011 @ 9:59am

SerpentineZERO wrote:So, the Legion of Superheroes looks sorta interesting, but apparently the relaunch titles are really not good starting points. What's a good, in-continuity intro to them? Assuming there is one, that is.

I jumped into Legion of Super Heroes with the Legion of 3 Worlds and was confused as shit. Here is a general reading list and I would say the Waid stuff is a good series to start with.

http://conspiratorbrock.blogspot.com/2011/05/legion-of-super-heroes-reading-list.html
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby SerpentineZERO » Nov 2nd, 2011 @ 3:11pm

What the hell, how'd i miss that reading list? Anyway, thanks, i'll give the Waid stuff a shot. I've really been liking his run on Daredevil so far.
SerpentineZERO

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 7th, 2011 @ 12:12pm

Epilogue to Spider-Island:

Spoiler: show
1) The Jackal is still alive.
2) Kaine takes Peter's stealth costume and leaves NYC.
3) Carlie discovers Peter's secret and breaks up with him.
4) The spell that Doctor Strange used to make everyone forget Peter's secret is broken.
5) Peter and Mary Jane bond again over the events of Spider-Island and enjoy a red and blue Empire State Building saying thanks to Spider-Man.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby TopHaZZard » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 7:49pm

Are you guys talking about the most recent series of the punisher?
TopHaZZard

Postby SerpentineZERO » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 8:26pm

Nah, they're talking about the Garth Ennis stuff from like 2001 or so.
SerpentineZERO

Postby TopHaZZard » Nov 17th, 2011 @ 9:12pm

Is there anything good with Taskmaster in it or does he just pop up randomly as a villain in most comics?
TopHaZZard

Postby exharrison » Nov 21st, 2011 @ 11:56am

TopHaZZard wrote:Is there anything good with Taskmaster in it or does he just pop up randomly as a villain in most comics?

http://www.amazon.com/Taskmaster-Unthin ... 509&sr=1-1

It was an odd Taskmaster story. He also pops up in a good amount of stuff. 90s Captain America, Agent X, etc.

Bibliography:
http://comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=1767
exharrison

Postby ThatCanadianGuy » Feb 8th, 2012 @ 8:22pm

Hey everyone, I'm new on the comic scene and I live in Canada. I'm looking for some online stores that sell for cheap and ship to Manitoba!
http://www.youtube.com/wEtGaming1

Not just another gaming channel!
ThatCanadianGuy

Postby Roadie Brock » Feb 8th, 2012 @ 11:55pm

ThatCanadianGuy wrote:Hey everyone, I'm new on the comic scene and I live in Canada. I'm looking for some online stores that sell for cheap and ship to Manitoba!

Email Higgins at the shop and see if he is down to get some of your hard earned Canadian Dollars.
ryan@comicsconspiracy.biz

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby lima1709 » Feb 11th, 2012 @ 9:47pm

Hey everyone , I have always been a marvel reader but now i have been enjoying the new 52 DC comics so i was wondering if there is any good old DC comics that are must reads?
lima1709

Postby Roadie Brock » Feb 12th, 2012 @ 12:33am

lima1709 wrote:Hey everyone , I have always been a marvel reader but now i have been enjoying the new 52 DC comics so i was wondering if there is any good old DC comics that are must reads?

There are a lot.

Batman: Hush
Batman: Long Halloween
Green Lantern (by: Geoff Johns)
Batman: Black Mirror
Crisis of Infinite Earths
Identity Crisis
Infinite Crisis
Final Crisis
Joker
All Star Superman
Superman: Earth One
Flashpoint
Brightest Day
Blackest Night
Gotham Central

Just to name a few.

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby ceroxide » Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 9:48am

I was looking through my comic book collection couple of days ago and ran into Battle Chasers and decided to give it another read since its been so long, and surprisingly I really enjoyed it. There's just something about Joe Mad's style of drawing. Unfortunately the series got canceled and I have yet to find a series that has a similar art style and centers on sword and sorcery.

So now I'm wondering any recommendations for a sword and sorcery comic with an art style similar to that of Joe Mad, Humberto Ramos, Alvin Lee, Terry Dodson, Ale Garza, or Sean Parsons? Also I'm tired of being made fun of so if the main is female that be a huge plus, all my comics are of hulkish men kicking ass and I'm tired of the looks I been getting :/
ceroxide

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 9:51am

Let me bump Toby to this request, this is right up his alley.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 9:53am

ceroxide wrote:I was looking through my comic book collection couple of days ago and ran into Battle Chasers and decided to give it another read since its been so long, and surprisingly I really enjoyed it. There's just something about Joe Mad's style of drawing. Unfortunately the series got canceled and I have yet to find a series that has a similar art style and centers on sword and sorcery.

So now I'm wondering any recommendations for a sword and sorcery comic with an art style similar to that of Joe Mad, Humberto Ramos, Alvin Lee, Terry Dodson, Ale Garza, or Sean Parsons? Also I'm tired of being made fun of so if the main is female that be a huge plus, all my comics are of hulkish men kicking ass and I'm tired of the looks I been getting :/

The World of Warcraft comics come to mind.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 9:55am

But it was bad :(
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 9:58am

ceroxide wrote:I was looking through my comic book collection couple of days ago and ran into Battle Chasers and decided to give it another read since its been so long, and surprisingly I really enjoyed it. There's just something about Joe Mad's style of drawing. Unfortunately the series got canceled and I have yet to find a series that has a similar art style and centers on sword and sorcery.

Dude! Yes! Go read Skullkickers, RIGHT NOW.

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 9:59am

Master Higgins wrote:Let me bump Toby to this request, this is right up his alley.

Don't even bother Toby, I just solved the mystery.
LiQuid

Postby ceroxide » Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 10:48am

LiQuid wrote:

Dude! Yes! Go read Skullkickers, RIGHT NOW.

HOLY that looks badass definitely gonna pick this up asap thx :D
ceroxide

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 10:51am

ceroxide wrote:HOLY that looks badass definitely gonna pick this up asap thx :D

You're welcome! It's not only completely badass, but hilarious as well. I guarantee you will enjoy it. GUARANTEE. Welcome to the forum as well. Stick around.
LiQuid

Postby Toby » Feb 22nd, 2012 @ 4:00pm

ceroxide wrote:So now I'm wondering any recommendations for a sword and sorcery comic with an art style similar to that of Joe Mad, Humberto Ramos, Alvin Lee, Terry Dodson, Ale Garza, or Sean Parsons? Also I'm tired of being made fun of so if the main is female that be a huge plus, all my comics are of hulkish men kicking ass and I'm tired of the looks I been getting :/

Ah dude, do I have a book for you! Might have to do some diggin' though, but I think you gonna love this one (I sure did).

Ale Garza - check!
Sword and Sorcery - check!
Female Lead - check check! (plus she's got some nice knockers!)

I present you: Ale Garza's Skye Runner!

It's fantasy book with probably some of Ale's best work ever! Sadly he did fall off a bit in the later issues, but its a fun fantasy book. If I remember right it was just 6 issues, and probably never been collected. (Wildstorm/DC was the publisher.)

I think I once read it was set in the same world as Ninja Boy, another Ale Garza book.

I personally really really liked Skye Runner, even purchased many of the original pages. My only gripe was that is doesn't seem Ale cared in the end which is a damn shame. To which I damn hope that Eddie Nunez will be able to do his own book one day, with the artists you mentioned, you'll love Eddie! And he's super cool if you ever meet him at a convention.

Not sure if you'd be interested in this but either its coming out or its already out, Humberto is doing some fairy tale book which looks really good too.

Also this another crate digging project, there was once a horrible horrible publisher by the name of Dreamwave that did a book called Warlands, which had some good art, but I think the story went nowhere or it was pretty weak. I stopped caring for it pretty fast, not only did they take the name I wanted for my own projects, but Pat Lee who is best forgotten in the comicbook world.
@tobyxi
Toby
Movie Magic

Postby ceroxide » Feb 23rd, 2012 @ 9:37am

Toby wrote:
ceroxide wrote:So now I'm wondering any recommendations for a sword and sorcery comic with an art style similar to that of Joe Mad, Humberto Ramos, Alvin Lee, Terry Dodson, Ale Garza, or Sean Parsons? Also I'm tired of being made fun of so if the main is female that be a huge plus, all my comics are of hulkish men kicking ass and I'm tired of the looks I been getting :/

Ah dude, do I have a book for you! Might have to do some diggin' though, but I think you gonna love this one (I sure did).

Ale Garza - check!
Sword and Sorcery - check!
Female Lead - check check! (plus she's got some nice knockers!)

I present you: Ale Garza's Skye Runner!

It's fantasy book with probably some of Ale's best work ever! Sadly he did fall off a bit in the later issues, but its a fun fantasy book. If I remember right it was just 6 issues, and probably never been collected. (Wildstorm/DC was the publisher.)

I think I once read it was set in the same world as Ninja Boy, another Ale Garza book.

I personally really really liked Skye Runner, even purchased many of the original pages. My only gripe was that is doesn't seem Ale cared in the end which is a damn shame. To which I damn hope that Eddie Nunez will be able to do his own book one day, with the artists you mentioned, you'll love Eddie! And he's super cool if you ever meet him at a convention.

Not sure if you'd be interested in this but either its coming out or its already out, Humberto is doing some fairy tale book which looks really good too.

Also this another crate digging project, there was once a horrible horrible publisher by the name of Dreamwave that did a book called Warlands, which had some good art, but I think the story went nowhere or it was pretty weak. I stopped caring for it pretty fast, not only did they take the name I wanted for my own projects, but Pat Lee who is best forgotten in the comicbook world.

dammit all of those you mentioned look really cool specially Sky Runner :D
I follow Nunez on DA and yes his art is awesome, and yes he should make a book, that would be really cool :)
ceroxide

Postby TopHaZZard » Mar 10th, 2012 @ 9:00am

Did anyone read Hell Yeah from image?

Opinions?
TopHaZZard

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics