Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:31pm

GOTY = The Walking Dead
MOTY = Django Unchained, followed by Silver Linings Playbook.
TV Show of the Year: Breaking Bad
Comic of the Year: Thor: God of Thunder

Also, no way in hell is Wreck it Ralph the greatest animated movie of the year. Up, Lion King, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, etc all are much much better.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby puppybox » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 9:29pm

Hold up a second podcasters - are you seriously telling me Adam has gotten so bad you actually cut segments from the podcast? Actual editing?

I don't believe it. I demand the Hunger Games audio!
puppybox
User avatar
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Apr 21st, 2011 @ 9:12am
Location: A sunny hammock

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 11:54pm

puppybox wrote:Hold up a second podcasters - are you seriously telling me Adam has gotten so bad you actually cut segments from the podcast? Actual editing?

I don't believe it. I demand the Hunger Games audio!

I edit the audio in rare cases where it is needed -- for example, when we talk about something that we weren't actually supposed to talk about (due to an embargo, or some level of insider knowledge that we shouldn't make public), or when I think the amount of meandering or awkwardness is such that it makes for really bad radio. I tend to be really, really conservative with any editing I do, though (especially in that last category). 99.99% of what you hear is complete, genuine, unedited Geekboxing. I've edited maybe 2-3 things in like, the last 30 episodes.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 12:09am

I have no prob with the editing. We've all heard enough unedited Fitch to know he could use it. But that's no excuse for letting that shit get lost to the aether bro. Awkward podcasting can be it's own kind of entertainment. Anybody else get to listen to that "lost" episode of that podcast the Penny Arcade guys were on a couple years ago? It was AS awkward as advertised and it was hilarious for it. It sounded like they were going to start fist fighting, like literal fisticuffs in the middle of the podcast.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 12:14am

I really wanna hear Adam's step by step commentary on the Hunger Games.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 11:38am

Walzo wrote:I really wanna hear Adam's step by step commentary on the Hunger Games.

Alas, it's sitting in the same digital dump as the clip where I had a 10-minute laughing fit while talking about Napoleon-Dynamite-turned-Lost-cast-member Jon Gries.

But believe me, I cut these things for a reason. You have to trust me here. :)

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, how has no one here commented on the clear 2012 game of the year, Mark of the Ninja?
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby darfox8 » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 11:43am

I haven't play Mark of the Ninja but all the people saying "DEEEEEEEERRRRP better than METARRRRRRRRRR GUUUURRRRRR" have made me hate it. If it really is that good I hope to one day play it and have as much fun as you guys did, but at this point I don't trust the opinions of 99% of the people saying that.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8
User avatar
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 3:23pm
Location: Ocala, Florida

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 12:01pm

darfox8 wrote:I haven't play Mark of the Ninja but all the people saying "DEEEEEEEERRRRP better than METARRRRRRRRRR GUUUURRRRRR" have made me hate it. If it really is that good I hope to one day play it and have as much fun as you guys did, but at this point I don't trust the opinions of 99% of the people saying that.

I'm one of the biggest Metal Gear fans ever, and I totally stand by the statement that Mark of the Ninja is a better stealth experience -- it elegantly sidesteps a lot of the pitfalls that tend to make that genre irritating. Metal Gear, of course, has the more intricate plot and all, but Mark of the Ninja is just pure joy in terms of its stealth mechanics.

Also, I'm the stingiest person in the world when it comes to handing out perfect scores to video games that I review. Mark of the Ninja is one of, like, five games that I've ever awarded a perfect score to in a published review, in the past 10 years.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 12:29pm

XCOM is better than Mark of the Ninja. FTL is better than Mark of the Ninja. I haven't even played Mark of the Ninja but I've watched enough of it to know that I don't need to. If I want to play a 2D Ninja game I'll just play Ninja Cop again.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 12:50pm

rydog wrote:I'm one of the biggest Metal Gear fans ever
No you aren't. You hate MGS3. Opinion invalid.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 12:53pm

Mark of the Ninja is the best stealth game I have played, I agree. I love the art style.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 12:54pm

kenzo wrote:
rydog wrote:I'm one of the biggest Metal Gear fans ever
No you aren't. You hate MGS3. Opinion invalid.

I'm articulate about why I dislike the mechanics. That doesn't mean I'm not bananas for the rest of the series.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby puppybox » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 1:18pm

darfox8 wrote:I haven't play Mark of the Ninja but all the people saying "DEEEEEEEERRRRP better than METARRRRRRRRRR GUUUURRRRRR" have made me hate it. If it really is that good I hope to one day play it and have as much fun as you guys did, but at this point I don't trust the opinions of 99% of the people saying that.


I felt the same way. All the stuff on the bombcast about "I hate stealth games but love Mark of the Ninja!" made me think, as a fan of stealth, I wouldn't enjoy it. But I picked it up over the steam sale and have put a few hours into it and like it. Not as much as everyone else but its fun.

That said, at least early on, it’s stupid easy. An un-alert guard's vision in the dark extends like two feet. I mean it makes sense they can't see in the dark but they have flashlights... Also despite all the comments about how it avoids trial and error I still find myself doing a lot of trial and error since dying has no penalty and it’s easier to just try something out and die if it fails rather than think about what I'm doing (I don't care what my score at the end of a level is)

I probably should have gone with a harder difficultly than normal. I might restart it at this rate
puppybox
User avatar
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Apr 21st, 2011 @ 9:12am
Location: A sunny hammock

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 1:28pm

puppybox wrote:
darfox8 wrote:I haven't play Mark of the Ninja but all the people saying "DEEEEEEEERRRRP better than METARRRRRRRRRR GUUUURRRRRR" have made me hate it. If it really is that good I hope to one day play it and have as much fun as you guys did, but at this point I don't trust the opinions of 99% of the people saying that.


I felt the same way. All the stuff on the bombcast about "I hate stealth games but love Mark of the Ninja!" made me think, as a fan of stealth, I wouldn't enjoy it. But I picked it up over the steam sale and have put a few hours into it and like it. Not as much as everyone else but its fun.

That said, at least early on, it’s stupid easy. An un-alert guard's vision in the dark extends like two feet. I mean it makes sense they can't see in the dark but they have flashlights... Also despite all the comments about how it avoids trial and error I still find myself doing a lot of trial and error since dying has no penalty and it’s easier to just try something out and die if it fails rather than think about what I'm doing (I don't care what my score at the end of a level is)

I probably should have gone with a harder difficultly than normal. I might restart it at this rate

Keep playing. It gets a LOT trickier -- especially when you get to the late-game areas where there's like, crazy techno-tengu that actively patrol inside of grates. Also, nothing's better than playing hard mode with the stealth suit, which entirely eliminates the sword from your arsenal. No kills, no detection. Fun challenge. :)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Quillon » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 1:48pm

I was a little disappointed - though not surprised - that my all-time favorite video game wasn't on Ryan's 1993 list: MYST. It doesn't seem like his kind of game, but it's exactly my kind of game, all about the experience. It's the first game I ever played that gave me moments of "wow, it's like I'm actually there". I loved Riven and MYST 3 Exile, too. I think the series jumped the shark with MYST 4 Revelation, though, and I didn't get very far in MYST 5. I'm rather sad that this genre of game seems to have died out.

To be fair, I haven't played very many video games. (The fact that I've never owned a Windows machine, and only one console system - the Wii - since the Atari 5200, probably has something to do with that. If it hasn't been on the Mac then I haven't noticed.) Many of the ones Ryan mentions I've never heard of. Honestly I think I was only dimly aware of the Zelda series until I started listening to The Geekbox.
Quillon
User avatar
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Dec 16th, 2011 @ 11:25am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 1:52pm

Quillon wrote:I was a little disappointed - though not surprised - that my all-time favorite video game wasn't on Ryan's 1993 list: MYST. It doesn't seem like his kind of game, but it's exactly my kind of game, all about the experience. It's the first game I ever played that gave me moments of "wow, it's like I'm actually there". I loved Riven and MYST 3 Exile, too. I think the series jumped the shark with MYST 4 Revelation, though, and I didn't get very far in MYST 5. I'm rather sad that this genre of game seems to have died out.

To be fair, I haven't played very many video games. (The fact that I've never owned a Windows machine, and only one console system - the Wii - since the Atari 5200, probably has something to do with that. If it hasn't been on the Mac then I haven't noticed.) Many of the ones Ryan mentions I've never heard of. Honestly I think I was only dimly aware of the Zelda series until I started listening to The Geekbox.

Myst never, ever grabbed me. Having grown up on Sierra and LucasArts adventure games, I found it incredibly dull and soulless.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 1:53pm

On the subject of Big Bang Theory, I've seen a lot of it just because it's on TV like 10 hours a day now, and my opinion is this:


As far as the accusations of the show is "Oh, look at the hot popular chick having to deal with these nerds, let's all laugh at them", watching the show, I find almost the opposite to be true. As was mentioned on the podcast, it's not a bunch of cool people, and one nerd that all the other characters can look down on. It's a cast full of nerds, with one cool person, and most of the time the show treats HER like the outsider. And makes a lot of jokes at her expense because she's not as smart as anyone else on the cast.

Now I'm sure there's plenty of the former too, but from what I've seen, the latter is far more common.


The accusation of "It's a show making fun of nerds written by jocks" is just pure horseshit. You want an example of that, go watch Chuck. It's obviously that at the very least, the writers of BBT do their damn homework. Yeah, they OCCASIONALLY get something wrong(Mario 64 is not a multiplayer game) but by and large, all of their references are accurate, which is something jock writers wouldn't even try to do, much less succeed at.


I think the best way I've heard the show described was "It's Frasier, but with nerds instead of cultured intellectuals." And I find that comparison to be perfect. In Frasier, the audience isn't expected to actually understand the obscure wine reference that Niles makes, but it's still funny to them. And yet I don't remember cultured intellectuals being outrages that Frasier was done entirely at their expense.

Now don't get me wrong. This show is sure as hell no Community. It's crap like all laugh track sit-coms are. Where a show like community has brilliant exchanged between characters in service of telling excellent stories, BBT has horrible cliche sit-com plots, but it ALSO occasionally has exchanges between characters that are hilarious, especially so someone like me, because I actually understand all the refereces.

It's like, yeah Ryan, you watch clips of the show people send you going "Look how awful this is", you're going to get the worst shit on the show. But if you were to go the other direction, and have someone that actually LIKES the show pick out some of the good parts, you'd actually see some good shit.

And personally, that's how *I* wish I could watch the show, with someone just picking out the funny conversations, because most of the show just doesn't do anything for me.
DarthEnder
User avatar
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Apr 27th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: NinjaPirate HQ

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Rydog » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 1:59pm

DarthEnder wrote:It's like, yeah Ryan, you watch clips of the show people send you going "Look how awful this is", you're going to get the worst shit on the show. But if you were to go the other direction, and have someone that actually LIKES the show pick out some of the good parts, you'd actually see some good shit.

And personally, that's how *I* wish I could watch the show, with someone just picking out the funny conversations, because most of the show just doesn't do anything for me.

Because I cannot ever resist linking this for Ryan Higgins, when relevant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_(fallacy)
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
User avatar
Hell Yeah!
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009 @ 8:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby puppybox » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 2:13pm

I've never seen Big Bang Theory but calling it Fraiser for nerds pretty much sold me on it. I hope it comes to netflix

Does it have a cool dog like Eddie? Actually since its a nerd show its probably a cat. Ehh less interested now, sitcom dogs are the best
puppybox
User avatar
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Apr 21st, 2011 @ 9:12am
Location: A sunny hammock

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 2:20pm

Quillon wrote:I was a little disappointed - though not surprised - that my all-time favorite video game wasn't on Ryan's 1993 list: MYST. It doesn't seem like his kind of game, but it's exactly my kind of game, all about the experience. It's the first game I ever played that gave me moments of "wow, it's like I'm actually there". I loved Riven and MYST 3 Exile, too. I think the series jumped the shark with MYST 4 Revelation, though, and I didn't get very far in MYST 5. I'm rather sad that this genre of game seems to have died out.

To be fair, I haven't played very many video games. (The fact that I've never owned a Windows machine, and only one console system - the Wii - since the Atari 5200, probably has something to do with that. If it hasn't been on the Mac then I haven't noticed.) Many of the ones Ryan mentions I've never heard of. Honestly I think I was only dimly aware of the Zelda series until I started listening to The Geekbox.

Curious, did you ever played Sierra or Lucas Arts adventures games? If so it's kind of hard to imagine liking Myst, like Ryan said.

I personally never liked Lucas Arts adventure games. I didn't really "get" their humor at the time. Also you couldn't die in most of them. Most of the fun to me in Sierra games was all the retarded ways you could get yourself smoked by clicking on too much stuff, or collecting too many items, or just doing bad shit in general. They were punitive in funny ways and felt more like "games" instead of just clicking on EVERYTHING until you figured out how to win.

Myst is just way too esoteric and arcane. The puzzles, from what I remember, don't follow anything resembling real world logic, or any consistent logic within the game's world. It was just a lot of reading, note taking and experimenting with levers and buttons until you fumbled your way into a solution. I played a lot of it, because everybody with a CD ROM drive did in its time, but it was mostly just aimless putzing. I remember Myst was one of the first games I ever looked up a solution to once that became possible on the internet.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Quillon » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 2:52pm

LiQuid wrote:Curious, did you ever played Sierra or Lucas Arts adventures games? If so it's kind of hard to imagine liking Myst, like Ryan said.

Looking at the Wikipedia articles for both, I don't think I ever did. I probably stayed away from some of the Lucas Arts games because, even back then, I tended to avoid media tie-ins like the plague. I was dimly aware of some of the Sierra games, but never played any of them. I think I thought Leisure Suit Larry was some sort of bad joke foisted on people with more money than sense (it sounds like that wasn't true, but that was my impression at the time).

I probably didn't play many games back then because they were pretty expensive, especially on top of my comic book habit. :) And I generally avoided pirating games. I had very few friends who played computer games, so if people discovered new games through friends, I didn't have that after about 1984 (when the few I did have basically gave up on them). Plus, as I said, if it wasn't on a Mac then it wasn't available to me since that's what I used.

This may be of only marginal interest, but here's my video gaming background: I played the heck out of Atari 2600 games. When the Apple ][ came around I played a lot of Wizardry and the first 4 Ultima titles (the first one was weak, the other three were all good). I also played a bunch of text adventure games (e.g., some from Infocom), which were okay but never felt very fulfilling. When the Mac came around I played Dungeon of Doom (a pretty good time waster, but ultimately rather tedious), and later SimCity and SimEarth on the Mac. Around this time I started getting into other things I found more interesting to waste my alone-time on than video games (the Internet, for instance), so there was a gap of a few years and then Myst came out. (Though I did waste a bunch of time with MUDs and Netrek in the early 90s.)

I'm not sure if that really explains why I play the (few) games I do or not. These days I mostly play games available for the iPad.

Myst is just way too esoteric and arcane. The puzzles, from what I remember, don't follow anything resembling real world logic, or any consistent logic within the game's world. It was just a lot of reading, note taking and experimenting with levers and buttons until you fumbled your way into a solution. I played a lot of it, because everybody with a CD ROM drive did in its time, but it was mostly just aimless putzing. I remember Myst was one of the first games I ever looked up a solution to once that became possible on the internet.

I thought the first 3 Myst games were all pretty fair in their puzzles, and once you'd gotten used to how the world worked, they were not too hard. I remember getting stuck on the original Myst, put it away for a few months, then came back and finished it. Riven I solved in a week (of doing nothing other than work, eating, sleeping, and Riven). Myst 3 Exile took 2-3 weeks, and I used a walkthrough once because I got stuck in one place (it turned out there was a ladder which I just hadn't been able to see).

Myst 4 went off the rails in that it had puzzles that even once I solved them with walkthroughs still made no sense to me. But I thought the first three were reasonable.

Certainly there were other games in the genre which didn't make any sense. I gave up on Obsidian because it was ridiculously counterintuitive. I thought Alida was okay, but it did have some things that didn't make sense (and the central conceit of the game was kind of silly).
Quillon
User avatar
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Dec 16th, 2011 @ 11:25am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Ca1amity » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 4:39pm

Well.. I found my login info.

And I had a reasoned and well thought out response in support of Higgins' general stance on TBBT this week.

Then I went to preview it and my login had expired, after I guess maybe an hour of typing, generally editing/trimming and pausing to do other stuff.

I saw the save draft button but, having never been on a forum in the past decade with such a short login timer, I tend to use that save option when I'm going to come back to something long at a later date.

I clicked the preview button. Instead it took me to the login screen and asked me to put in my info again.

I clicked return to the previous page. And found an empty post window.


Its been a while since I've physically felt the colour drain from my face.
I'm going to log out now before my 80/20 split of fury at the forum / myself for not saving escapes my head.


Someone who runs these boards please extend that login timer to something reasonable - like a few hours.
Ca1amity
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Jul 4th, 2010 @ 7:42pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 4:50pm

Ca1amity wrote:Someone who runs these boards please extend that login timer to something reasonable - like a few hours.
When that happens, all you have to do is hit submit again and voila! You've successfully submitted your post. You weren't logged out, but the timestamp for when you clicked to compose your post and when you hit submit was too far apart and the forums freaks out a little. Reading your description of events, and having had this happen to me all the time for my TL;DR rants, I can safely say this is what happened. Also, in the past if this ever happens and you do get logged out, you can just hit the back button, copy your shit, paste it into notepad or something, then sign in again and resubmit.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby kenzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 5:07pm

Rydog wrote:
kenzo wrote:
rydog wrote:I'm one of the biggest Metal Gear fans ever
No you aren't. You hate MGS3. Opinion invalid.

I'm articulate about why I dislike the mechanics. That doesn't mean I'm not bananas for the rest of the series.
You would have a point, if your point wasn't completely invalid and wrong. If I recall, you're like Mr_eX in that when you play the game, you play it wrong - crawling everywhere, constantly changing your camo, never minding your stamina, never making use of the unprecidented wide array of weapons and items at your disposal, etc. The problems you have with the game aren't real problems, they're problems you invent because you suck (no offense intended) at the game and refuse to adjust to its new paradigms (being stuck in a MGS1/2 frame of mind). The beautiful thing about MGS3 is that, like MGS2 was to MGS1, it completely turns every single theme of its predacessors on its head. But instead of being mostly esoteric and philosophical, it's all gameplay based: hide in the open, removal of the high tech, reliance on sound and other sensory input to know where the enemies are instead of just sight and a radar, exhausting or demoralizing your enemies rather than killing them, using enemy bodies as bait to actively hunt enemies rather than trying to hide bodies and run from enemies at all costs, etc, etc. MGS3 still is, to this day, the pinacle of the series and of game design in general. That you hate it, but claim to be a Metal Gear fan is like saying you're a Star Wars fan but you hate Empire Strikes Back. It's just lunacy!

Rydog wrote:
DarthEnder wrote:It's like, yeah Ryan, you watch clips of the show people send you going "Look how awful this is", you're going to get the worst shit on the show. But if you were to go the other direction, and have someone that actually LIKES the show pick out some of the good parts, you'd actually see some good shit.

And personally, that's how *I* wish I could watch the show, with someone just picking out the funny conversations, because most of the show just doesn't do anything for me.
Because I cannot ever resist linking this for Ryan Higgins, when relevant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_(fallacy)
Is it still a cheery picking fallacy when the 'cherry picked' clips you watch of the show are chosen by their own marketing department in the form of commercials? Because even though you're only seeing a very limited amount of what the show has to offer, you're seeing limited clips of what the makers/producers of the show want you to see - ostensibly that's them putting their best foot forward. I feel justified in reviling BBT while never really watching much of it simply because of the commercials I see for that show.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby LiQuid » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 5:35pm

Wow, kenzo I'm starting to think that you're literally insane. Like nuthouse insane.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Walzo » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 6:00pm

One thing I agree with Higgins on is that BBT is trash. It's not funny to me.

The show may have had a good first season, but when the show became more and more popular, the more the show went from being FOR nerds it became about making fun OF nerds.
Walzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Jan 23rd, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Quillon » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 6:33pm

kenzo wrote:Is it still a cheery picking fallacy when the 'cherry picked' clips you watch of the show are chosen by their own marketing department in the form of commercials? Because even though you're only seeing a very limited amount of what the show has to offer, you're seeing limited clips of what the makers/producers of the show want you to see - ostensibly that's them putting their best foot forward. I feel justified in reviling BBT while never really watching much of it simply because of the commercials I see for that show.

They're not cherry-picking them because they're what they want you to see, they're picking them because they believe the narrative told by the commercial will get the most viewers from whenever the commercial airs to watch the show. You may or may not fall into the target audience for the commercial. And it's not necessarily them putting their best foot forward, it's them doing marketing.

For instance, I thought the recent episode about the girls going to the comic book store had terrible ads promoting it, which completely sidestepped what was funny about that sequence.

I often wonder, when I watch ads for movies which I'm pretty sure are Not My Thing (Ted, for example, or any American Pie or similar film) whether the ad really contains the best stuff from the movie, or not. A lot of them give me the impression that I saw the only parts worth seeing in the ad. But perhaps I'm just assuming that the rest of the movie is crap. By contrast, it doesn't seem like the ads for Prometheus (which I also haven't seen) gave an accurate accounting of the film, and I'm intrigued by Oblivion but I expect/hope that what's in the ads is just the setup and that the payoff is something well beyond the ads.
Quillon
User avatar
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Dec 16th, 2011 @ 11:25am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 6:35pm

Oy vey this episode. Higgins' honest apology for the Flu Vaccine Incident gets 1 Gabrielle Anwar. The revenge of Prometheus and the Big Bang Theory get 9 Gabrielle Anwars. So that averages out to 8 Gabrielle Anwars.

Here are my final words on Big Piece of Shit Theory. It's not Nerd Blackface, it's Nerd Stepin Fetchit or Nerd Tyler Perry.Yes there is real honest effort from nerdy people put into the show but cramming references to DC and Marvel comics (because those are the only kind of comics) or astrophysics doesn't automatically make a show good comedy if you only use them to reinforce tired and outdated sitcom tropes. Strip away the nerd glasses of the core characters and you have generic white guy main character, best friend who fucks everything up/no concept of social interaction person, wannabe ladies man, and excuse for gay jokes. The female characters are not much better, the recent episode where they tried to get into comics showed that they still look down on their boyfriend's hobby as being something childish and that there own interest is pretty damn shallow because they chose to read Thor over the perfectly acceptable comic book gateway Fables because they thought Thor was hawt. It's bad enough that the only major female characters are the love interest of the male characters, as if nerdy guys are incapable of forming platonic relationships with women with similar interests or mutual friends. The real offense isn't that it's implying nerds are like the characters on the show because people like them very much exist, it's that it's implying that this is the best a nerd-focused comedy can be when it so isn't. Futurama made it obsolete in terms of nerd culture referential humor. Freaks & Geeks made it obsolete in terms of friend dynamics within a group of nerds. Community makes it obsolete in terms of nerdy genre-themed episodes, in fact both Freaks & Geeks and Community had fantastic Dungeons & Dragons episodes that outdid any of the stupid little nods BBLT did to the game. Any nerd with good taste in tv has no use for a crappy Chuck Lorre multi-cam sitcom even if Will Wheaton was in a few episodes.

Image
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL
User avatar
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:31pm

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby IRL_Troll » Jan 24th, 2013 @ 9:30pm

Well, I'm glad Ryan saw error of his ways....and I hope Karen and Adam can see the errors of theirs. Who do you two identify most with on The Big Bang Theory? Also, as far as well written female characters, look for Bill Prady's (co-creator of BBT) speech at TAM 2009. I think a good comparison to BBT is they're nerd versions of what the Friedberg/Seltzer duo do to movies. Nerd Blackface is a little egregious
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll
User avatar
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Dec 3rd, 2009 @ 11:55am
Location: Southwest MO

Re: The Geekbox Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Mr_eX » Jan 25th, 2013 @ 10:04am

Top 3 movies of the year

Cabin in the Woods
Dredd 3D
The Raid Redemption
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests

Options

Return to Site and Podcast Discussion

cron