Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby Insanityinchaos » Jul 2nd, 2013 @ 9:54am

You both were totally right. I was thinking Skies Of Arcadia. Also thanks for the anime recommendations. Currently finishing tiger and bunny that Ryan suggested a few times. After that I will totally check both of those out.
Insanityinchaos

Postby kenzo » Jul 2nd, 2013 @ 1:19pm

Insanityinchaos wrote:You both were totally right. I was thinking Skies Of Arcadia. Also thanks for the anime recommendations. Currently finishing tiger and bunny that Ryan suggested a few times. After that I will totally check both of those out.
Gargantia was great. It's short (13 episodes) and sweet, so not a big time sink. Plus it has amazing production values. You should love it.

What do you think of Tiger & Bunny so far?
kenzo

Postby DukeTogo » Jul 3rd, 2013 @ 7:56am

I have to agree that it was nice to have a follow-up to the Man of Steel conversation without people shouting over one another. Even when I don't agree with the opinions being expressed, and I think that Higgins is absolutely delusional to claim that MoS is on "another level" compared to the Marvel movies, it's much easier to track people's arguments.

Regarding the subject of Marvel versus DC movies, there are two things that really differentiate the two approaches and make the Marvel movies much for successful for me.

First is the approach to character. In the Marvel movies, I feel like the action is driven by the characters. Each of the solo movies spends significant time establishing who these characters ARE when they're outside of their costumes. Some of this is a function of keeping budgets under control, but it's lead to a strong sense of character for each of the main heroes and, in some cases, key members of their supporting casts. One of the reasons that Avengers is so successful as a film is that it depicts what happens when these personalities come together, clash and eventually find a balance. Man of Steel on the other hand, failed to create a sense of who Superman is as a character in favor of focusing on action and misguided Christ metaphors.

Second is the sense of fun and joy, the spark that should come from these tales of adventure. It's been almost entirely missing from the DC movies. Everything is so somber and self-serious, which is one of the things that really hurt my opinion of Man of Steel. I understand why the producers have opted to go in this direction; Comic fans crave validation that their superheroes are SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS. For me, I like a little bit of comedy and joy along with the pathos. Again, the Marvel movies on the whole have done a hell of a job hitting that sweet spot. I can only hope that MoS2 is a little more in line with that.
DukeTogo

Postby LiQuid » Jul 3rd, 2013 @ 8:27am

Hey good post Togo. I agree with a lot of what you say. I also think what you've said in relation to the movies out of both camps translates to their respective comic book lines almost too well. DC comics are basically either 1. soulless, superhero buttfucks or grimdark, ragemad anger comics. Marvels books, like their movies have a much lighter tone and focus a lot on personalities and less on generic superheroics. That said, I like both publishers comics for those reasons but tend to dislike the movies from both sides, so I'm not really sure where they're losing me in the transition.
LiQuid

Postby Insanityinchaos » Jul 3rd, 2013 @ 9:04am

I like Tiger and Bunny so far. At about the half way mark. I like the endorsement/game show aspect of heroes in it a lot. Also like how they are giving each Hero at least 1 episode to really get to know.
Insanityinchaos

Postby Walzo » Jul 3rd, 2013 @ 10:26am

I can't believe that when Marvel makes OPTIONAL crossovers you can buy, everyone goes, "Oh they just want more money".

But when DC announces Villains Month, with every book being 3.99 and 16 fucking Batman titles, everyone just turns an eye.

Also, Higgins thinking that Man of Steel is on another level than Marvel Movies makes me think he was on drugs during this podcast.
Walzo

Postby LiQuid » Jul 3rd, 2013 @ 10:45am

I can't believe Higgins got New 52 #1 numbers for this villain month horseshit. Is there any amount of hype for this?!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 3rd, 2013 @ 11:40am

Walzo wrote:I can't believe that when Marvel makes OPTIONAL crossovers you can buy, everyone goes, "Oh they just want more money".

But when DC announces Villains Month, with every book being 3.99 and 16 fucking Batman titles, everyone just turns an eye.
Besides Charlie and Higgins, nobody really sounded remotely excited for Villains Month. It just kinda IS.

Walzo wrote:Also, Higgins thinking that Man of Steel is on another level than Marvel Movies makes me think he was on drugs during this podcast.
I agree with the Higgins-rationale about MoS. I don't think it's quite as good as he thinks it is, but I loved the film. I think they're comparable with Marvel Movies in terms of being 'big summer action'. But MoS was on a 'different level' because it attempted to have more heart and to be a little more serious/memorable than the shitty drivel that comes out of Marvel Studios which are basically your most boring, safe, uninspired, generic action films.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jul 4th, 2013 @ 10:45am

So having just finished All Star Superman I'm listening to last week's episode with the discussion of it. This will be my new 4th of July ritual: Re-listen to this episode. Take a drink every time someone mispronounces QUITE-ly as QUIET-ly. Try not to die.
LiQuid

Postby DukeTogo » Jul 4th, 2013 @ 5:01pm

LiQuid wrote:Hey good post Togo. I agree with a lot of what you say. I also think what you've said in relation to the movies out of both camps translates to their respective comic book lines almost too well. DC comics are basically either 1. soulless, superhero buttfucks or grimdark, ragemad anger comics. Marvels books, like their movies have a much lighter tone and focus a lot on personalities and less on generic superheroics. That said, I like both publishers comics for those reasons but tend to dislike the movies from both sides, so I'm not really sure where they're losing me in the transition.

I see your point about the approaches of the respective comic universes. Back when the New 52 started, I was really excited about Animal Man because I thought that the series had huge potential to be a more character-driven story. After the bloat of Rotworld, it seems like Lemire might be getting things back on track.

Of course, that could all be moot since I haven't decided if I'm going to stick with DC past the colossally wrongheaded Villains' Month stunt. I'm also shocked to hear that Higgins is going HAM on ordering those books. Then again, it sounds like DC titles in general are a lot stronger at his store than most others.
DukeTogo

Postby LiQuid » Jul 6th, 2013 @ 3:44pm

I am not liking anything about Clone. At all.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 8th, 2013 @ 6:59pm

Bad news, everyone! The podcast mixing board we use to record the Geekbox and Comic Conspiracy died! We'll be picking up a new board tomorrow, but that means we can't record the Comic Conspiracy podcast tonight. The Geekbox should return as normal tomorrow, and we'll have a new Conspiracy episode next week. Sorry, everyone!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Jul 8th, 2013 @ 10:16pm

Master Higgins wrote:Bad news, everyone! The podcast mixing board we use to record the Geekbox and Comic Conspiracy died! We'll be picking up a new board tomorrow, but that means we can't record the Comic Conspiracy podcast tonight. The Geekbox should return as normal tomorrow, and we'll have a new Conspiracy episode next week. Sorry, everyone!
You guys shoulda done it ghetto style. Like, old school tape recorder in the middle of the table.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 15th, 2013 @ 10:13pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 115 (2013-07-15)
Omar’s back from his Hawaiian vacation, so we talk comics in Hawaii, as well as Teen Titans Go and Beware the Batman, big event comics, barely being a fan, Inhumanity, Image Expo 2013, Bryce’s Quarterly Top 7 X-Men comics, and the upcoming X-Force movie. Starring Ryan Higgins, Omar Brodrock, Bryce Larsen, and Brock Sager.
Running Time: 1h 22m 31s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jul 16th, 2013 @ 3:56am

Minorest of quibbles but I noticed the date of the show wasn't in the title of the mp3 this week. That's helpful for someone who doesn't use a podcast subscription service.
LiQuid

Postby karubah » Jul 16th, 2013 @ 5:07am

Just out of curiosity I went to Peter David's site and was surprised to see he will be at San Diego Comic Con. Copied from peterdavid.net:

THURSDAY
11-12, Marvel signing
7:30 PM, Multiple Man gathering 7:30 PM Manchester Grand Hyatt lobb

FRIDAY
3-4, Marvel signing
6-7, International Association of Media & Tie-in Writers Awards, Room: 23ABC

SATURDAY
11-11:45, “Young Justice” gathering behind con center
5-6, Marvel signing

SUNDAY
12:30-1:30, Marvel X-panel, Room 6DE
karubah

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 16th, 2013 @ 6:19am

LiQuid wrote:Minorest of quibbles but I noticed the date of the show wasn't in the title of the mp3 this week. That's helpful for someone who doesn't use a podcast subscription service.

Gah! Thanks for catching that, wonder if I can fix it...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jul 16th, 2013 @ 6:53am

It's really not a big deal. Would probably be more trouble than it's worth to fix it this week.
LiQuid

Postby Jaebird » Jul 16th, 2013 @ 10:37am

So... Infinity is going to be a Thanos-themed Earth X?

Edit: I thought I heard "Infinity", but now know its "Inhumanity".
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby kenzo » Jul 16th, 2013 @ 11:08pm

Higgins asked for it, so here's the forum-snark he wanted:

Black Rock Shooter is just a hilariously generic show about black & blue colored gothic-lolitas. It's the definition of superficial and asinine. It also looks like shitty deviant art.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 17th, 2013 @ 12:46am

Congrats Bryce. You've made Brock seem like a saint. That's quite an accomplishment.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 22nd, 2013 @ 11:19pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 116 (2013-07-22)
Toby survived San Diego ComicCon, and he’s here to tell us about everything he remembers! We discuss con parties, Adult Swim Fun House, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy cast, Man of Steel 2, and answer some listener questions. Starring Ryan Higgins, Omar Brodrick, Jim Jokisch, Brock Sager, and Toby Sidler.
Running Time: 1h 23m 30s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 23rd, 2013 @ 6:19am

My god you people. The fact that her name is Cassie means jack-shit. It is no way related to Cassandra Cain. Stop reaching for nothing. Also Higgins, stop being a baby about how this show looks. GL:TAS looked like hot trash until you started liking it, and then it still looked bad, except you didn't hate it for some reason.
CrossXhunteR

Postby juventuz » Jul 23rd, 2013 @ 8:22pm

I kind of agree with Higgins, the animation isn't bad but good god man, Batman's cowl looks terrible. Like he has no forehead and those ears, my god those ears.
juventuz

Postby kenzo » Jul 24th, 2013 @ 6:37am

Toby, my man, you've got to invest in some earplugs. And the good ones too, not just any ol cheap brand off the shelf. I basically refuse to spend the night at certain friends' places or share a hotel room unless I have earplugs along. It's the difference between getting a good night's rest and getting zero sleep. I personally have found great success with the "Howard Leight MAX" earplugs. They fit snug and block out so much sound that people standing right next to you talking normally are basically silent. Also, if you're in a hotel room and sleeping on the ground, find the AC in the room, turn it on, and sleep next to it. The AC doesn't need to be on, just turn on the fan/vent so that the only thing that's happening is air circulation. Do this because it'll create a bunch of white-noise that'll help drown out the snoring assholes you're cooped up with.

CrossXhunteR wrote:My god you people. The fact that her name is Cassie means jack-shit. It is no way related to Cassandra Cain.
You don't just name a character "Cassie" in a Batman show, have her look like Cassie, and then have it all be a big coincidence. Especially in a low-rent CGI show where the whole point of making it that way versus traditional animation is so that you can reuse assets like character models.

Beware the Batman is ugly as fuck, but ALL CGI toons start out that way. Like Omar said, the episodes we're watching now were probably made over a year ago. And they were made for super cheap with a skeleton-staff. Just like Clone Wars or GL or any other CGI toon ever made, they get a better budget, hire more staff, and pump out better quality as time goes on. Things will get better. And even if Batman stays this ugly, whatever. We'll get used to it. Stories are great so far though - I'm loving the grounded Batman who is actually doing detective work and doesn't have to play babysitter.

Advent Children might have had a very limited theatrical release, but it was always planned as a straight-to-DVD movie from the get go. It was huge business for Square. They sold millions of units in Japan where the price of the movie was like, >$60.

Listening to Higgins threaten Brock with physical harm was the best moment of my day. So much RAGE!
kenzo

Postby Walzo » Jul 25th, 2013 @ 8:02pm

I can't wait until you guys watch Flashpoint Paradox. I think it's one of the worst animated comic book movies. The animation is SO FUCKING TERRIBLE, and the story just makes you fucking eat violence from every direction.

Anytime I have watched a DC animated movie, I have ended up buying it. But this.... This time I don't know.
Walzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 25th, 2013 @ 8:26pm

Walzo wrote:I can't wait until you guys watch Flashpoint Paradox. I think it's one of the worst animated comic book movies. The animation is SO FUCKING TERRIBLE, and the story just makes you fucking eat violence from every direction.

Anytime I have watched a DC animated movie, I have ended up buying it. But this.... This time I don't know.
Are you real? You're kidding, right?
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 25th, 2013 @ 8:47pm

kenzo wrote:
Walzo wrote:I can't wait until you guys watch Flashpoint Paradox. I think it's one of the worst animated comic book movies. The animation is SO FUCKING TERRIBLE, and the story just makes you fucking eat violence from every direction.

Are you real? You're kidding, right?

I've had literally everyone tell me the exact opposite, it might be the best DC animated movie to date.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Jaebird » Jul 25th, 2013 @ 9:01pm

I just watched a trailer for it, and...it did not look all appealing, to me. All the guys have Dragon Ball Z physiques. Which, makes perfect sense in the Flash's case. You gotta look like a bulky shithouse if you're a runner.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 29th, 2013 @ 10:47pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 117 (2013-07-29)
Even though the store is half torn apart due to a remodel, we're pushing ahead with a new episode! This week, Ryan gives up the mic, Charlie discusses his San Diego Comic-Con adventure, we discuss Brock's Comic Conspiracy Book Club pick Clone, and Bryce reveals his x-traordinary Book Club pick for August. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 28m 24s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics