Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 32

Postby Rydog » Sep 23rd, 2009 @ 7:16pm

Give our latest episode a listen right here. And we should have lots of Tokyo Game Show talk next week!
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 32

Postby W0lfbl1tzers » Sep 23rd, 2009 @ 7:30pm

Hells Yeah!!!!
W0lfbl1tzers

Postby GiantAsianMan » Sep 24th, 2009 @ 8:05am

Great podcast, as always. As an actual giant (6'5") Asian (Korean) man, I find it a little weird whenever I'm around large groups of Asians because I tower over everyone. I mean, being a minority in America, you get used to sticking out in a crowd, but I don't even blend in with people that look like me. Its mildly disconcerting, but its better than the alternative (being short).

Terry O'Quinn did win in Emmy back in 2007 in the same category that Michael Emerson just did (Supporting Actor in a Drama Series). And specific episodes used to be submitted for actors and actress for Emmy consideration (like for writing and directing and such), but I think that may have changed this year, and the entire body of work for the season was examined. But I could be wrong.

Award shows usually suck, but Neil Patrick Harris made this year's Emmys totally worth watching. He'd becoming what Billy Crystal was before him and what Bob Hope was before that. He'll probably be hosting every award show from now until 2014. And Dr. Horrible did make an appearance during the Emmys (ie- the best part of the show):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaT31eOoB54

As Mike Cruz said, the video screen at the new Dallas Cowboys stadium is just ridiculous. I believe the dimensions are 72 feet high by 180 feet wide. The NBC telecast said that its the equivalent size of 2,000 52" television screens (which would really be 4,000, since its actually two screens, one for either side of the field).

And Nerd Ropes are awesome. Maybe the best candy ever. Alright, probably not. But easily top 5.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby Lord Korax » Sep 24th, 2009 @ 11:47am

While I know it's just a movie, and it did give me a good chuckle, that fridge scene was ridiculous. Even ignoring the fact that he was thrown a mile, and the fact that the heat and pressure from the explosion would have been lethal, there's no way what little bit of lead that was in the fridge would have protected him from the radiation. And that Tarzan monkey-swing thing was a travesty.

Also, the moment "Lisa log" was said, I knew exactly what you were talking about.
Lord Korax

Postby OmniAvenger » Sep 24th, 2009 @ 12:51pm

The Tarzan thing in Crystal Skull was almost -- almost! -- as cringe-worthy as Chewbacca doing in the same damn thing in Return of the Jedi, complete with a Wookified Tarzan yell. The Ewoks were bad enough, but then you slap Chewie in there doing something that ridiculous...
OmniAvenger

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 24th, 2009 @ 2:26pm

Lord Korax wrote:While I know it's just a movie, and it did give me a good chuckle, that fridge scene was ridiculous. Even ignoring the fact that he was thrown a mile, and the fact that the heat and pressure from the explosion would have been lethal, there's no way what little bit of lead that was in the fridge would have protected him from the radiation. And that Tarzan monkey-swing thing was a travesty.

But people's faces melting from looking into a box is completely believable....
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Lord Korax » Sep 24th, 2009 @ 4:07pm

It was the wrath of God coming down to smite the evil Nazis. Completely believable. Also, aliens, and Kali, and still-beating hearts bursting into flame.

There's a difference between something that's intended to be completely fantastical and something that is presented as being possible. As I said, I know it's just a movie. Crazy, unrealistic things happen because it's entertaining, but having someone survive something that unbelievably deadly just because "hey look, it said there's some lead in it" was pushing the limits of my suspension of disbelief.
Lord Korax

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 24th, 2009 @ 4:12pm

Lord Korax wrote:Also, the moment "Lisa log" was said, I knew exactly what you were talking about.

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Atomsmasher » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 1:02am

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, so I don't know if this was brought up, but are you guys planning on watching Flashforward? Seeing as how it's being billed as the successor to Lost, it seems like a fitting show to discuss while Lost is off the air. I thought the pilot was pretty good and it shows much promise, especially after seeing their season preview at the end of the episode.
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby kenzo » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 1:19am

Jazzy!
Last edited by kenzo on Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 11:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 9:58am

Atomsmasher wrote:I haven't listened to the podcast yet, so I don't know if this was brought up, but are you guys planning on watching Flashforward? Seeing as how it's being billed as the successor to Lost, it seems like a fitting show to discuss while Lost is off the air. I thought the pilot was pretty good and it shows much promise, especially after seeing their season preview at the end of the episode.

I watched it. It will be talked about, oh yes, it will be talked about.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 11:32am

Great show as always!

-Much like GiantAsianMan, I, too, lucked out in breaking the Asian man 6'0" ceiling, although I'd love to be 6'5" (especially for playing ball!). The best part was hitting 5'10" in seventh grade, which meant I outgrew my father and he could no longer spank me for being bad! Nowadays, with improved nutrition, people in Asia above 6'0" is not as uncommon as it used to be, another reason I wish I was as tall as GiantAsianMan!

-Another great thing about X2: X-Men United that you failed to mention was Kelly Hu as Deathstrike. Here she is signing my DVD copy and wishing me happy birthday at WizardWorld Chicago 2005:

-Hey, Ryan, do they do all their old MST3K bits on the RiffTrax, like Hikeeba and MANIX???

-One of the best candy bars out there is, coincidentally enough, the Wonka Bar. Rich milk chocolate with graham cracker bits inside. On paper, it shouldn't taste as good as it does, but for some reason, it just works.

-Piece of advice for taking on those thugs in party hats, Master Higgins: After five failed attempts, I sprayed the explosive gel three times on the floor in front of them while they stood by and watched. They won't start fighting you until you detonate them, and with half of them stunned by the explosions, you'll have an easier time taking down the group.

-On my first playthrough of Batman: AA, I got the Scarecrow ending on Normal. I'm playing it on easy now to see if that changes anything!

-Thanks for the shout-out, Mei-Mei!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Hellsfire » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 1:11pm

I didn't know there were multiple endings of Batman. That's kinda cool. Master Higgins, that's sad that you couldn't beat the part with the party hat dudes. I didn't even know walking by was an option so I just beat the hell out of them on the first try. I was surprised that I got an achievement out of it. Of course, I've just been mashing the X, Y and sometimes A button throughout the entire game when it comes to combat.

Since I probably won't be going to LBCC, I think I'm going to go to Comics Conspiracy sale. Normally, it's a bit of a drive for me but I've been meaning to check out the shop and the frozen yogurt place.

I like to say I'm tall for an Asian but short for a Negro. I think Asians and kids born here in general, are bigger than their parents because we're all on steroids. Well, the cows are and we eat the cows. Glad, I eat mostly organic now. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Hellsfire

Postby Atomsmasher » Sep 28th, 2009 @ 9:48pm

Hearing the discussion of Michael Emerson made me recall this hilarious clip from Jimmy Fallon a few months ago, I dunno if any of you saw it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBdPHIue3s0
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Forum Statistics