Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Complain about shit that sucks

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 13th, 2014 @ 9:53pm

Ug, damn, that sucks :(
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby darfox8 » Oct 14th, 2014 @ 12:09pm

Oh no... sorry doggies.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby Konanda » Oct 22nd, 2014 @ 3:09pm

Some crazed gunman (who has been killed) murdered a 24 year old reservist soldier in front of the National War Memorial (where the ceremonial Changing Of The Guard takes place every day) in Ottawa today and then ran into Parliament Hill and shot at the building, police believe there might be another shooter that they are trying to track down as well. Also two days prior another twisted individual ran down two soldiers in a small city 50 kilometres (30 miles) from Montreal with his car was pursued by police and then tried to threaten them with a knife when they ran him off the road and was shot and died. The Prime Minister is to address the nation tonight with regards to these events.

Some people in this world are just sick and demented man. :(

Source: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/gunman-in- ... -1.2065443
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa- ... -1.2808737
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby LiQuid » Oct 22nd, 2014 @ 3:52pm

I thought public gun violence was the US's thing. Get your own fucking shit Canada you fucking pretenders.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Nov 14th, 2014 @ 8:19pm

This has been stewing in my for a while... Some time between when I owned my last PC (ca. 2008) and my new PC it became acceptable for games to take over the My Documents folder...

1/3rd of my games' save and/or config files are stored in the actual game's directory

1/3rd of them go into the 'User/My Documents/My games' directory

1/3rd of them are haphazardly tossed into 'My Documents/[Publisher or Game name]' directory.

And then I actually have a single game that has its save directory in the 'User/Saved Games' directory, which seems like in theory it would be a good place for ALL games saves to be...

God help you if you also use your documents folder for work or school, or ever need to do a reformat and backup your game saves.

This annoys the hell out of me.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Nov 14th, 2014 @ 9:18pm

LiQuid wrote:God help you if you also use your documents folder for work or school, or ever need to do a reformat and backup your game saves.
I haven't used My Documents to store my files in at least half a decade. Everything gets haphazardly saved to the desktop, and then once every few months I drag items to their respective folders - that also sit on the desktop. Also, all my folders are called "New Folder (#)" because I don't really care enough to label things, and I remember where everything goes, and I want it to be hell for anyone rummaging through my shit to actually find anything. Sometimes when I get really lazy but I'm running out of desktop space, I create another New Folder (#) and just drag everything into it so that I can sort it out later (and I rarely sort it out later).

I just realized I'm a digital hoarder.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Nov 14th, 2014 @ 9:35pm

Must be nice to be free from the shackles of OCD. I have literally zero icons on my desktop.

LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Nov 14th, 2014 @ 11:13pm

I've also got nothing on my desktop, but I keep everything as an unorganized mess in my Downloads folder. If I need to find something there's a search function. I don't really see the need to organize hard drives these days.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby LiQuid » Nov 14th, 2014 @ 11:47pm

S.s... SEARCH FUNCTION?! Are you some kind of animal?
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Nov 15th, 2014 @ 8:21am

meDotJS wrote:I've also got nothing on my desktop, but I keep everything as an unorganized mess in my Downloads folder. If I need to find something there's a search function. I don't really see the need to organize hard drives these days.

What this guy said. Also Liquid, what are you doing looking for game saves?
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Nov 15th, 2014 @ 8:33am

I'm not, I just noticed what a fucking cesspool my documents folder had become lately. I made a thread about this on GAF and not only does everybody hate that but people are saying that they have separate folders for their "actual" documents which is hilarious. Fuck that shit. I'm not letting fucking shit devs win. I'm keeping my fucking documents in there and they can get the fuck out.

In other complaint news, I think my left middle finger might be permanently destroyed. Not sure if I've developed some kind of arthritis or if my fingers are finally starting to rebel to a lifetime of being cracked or what, but it's just fucking gone. Can't move it hardly at all and it doesn't seem to be healing at all. Think I might be legit retired from Dota after all.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Nov 15th, 2014 @ 8:57am

Maybe see a doctor about the hand.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Nov 15th, 2014 @ 9:11am

Nah it's just one finger. If it were two or three, or a more important one I'd care a little more. It stays mostly upright too so I don't have to worry about bird delivery.
LiQuid

Postby totoro » Nov 16th, 2014 @ 5:11am

LiQuid wrote:Nah it's just one finger. If it were two or three, or a more important one I'd care a little more. It stays mostly upright too so I don't have to worry about bird delivery.

Still might want to get it checked out unless you want to go full Jose Canseco.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby LiQuid » Dec 9th, 2014 @ 12:09am

My dead finger is SOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo fucking dead lol. I just fashioned a splint out the handle of a plastic fork and some clear tape to try and stop it from moving while I type cuz it hurts so bad. Maybe I should have gone to the doctor. I might need an amputation soon. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 15th, 2014 @ 4:33pm

I thought my basketball team was on the up and up for the first time in almost a decade. Last night they fired their head coach completely out of the blue. Season is lost and it's only December. I'm inconsolably sad right now.
kenzo

Postby IRL_Troll » Dec 29th, 2014 @ 11:09am

Back from the abyss. 1st day off since last tuesday! If you think people will tip more generously on christmas, whoo boy are you mistaken.
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby kenzo » Jan 28th, 2015 @ 8:22am

Got woken up this morning by family that was panicking because the house was mysteriously filling with smoke. Not the best of times.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 28th, 2015 @ 11:20am

Kenzo chiefin like a muthafuckin Seminole.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Feb 2nd, 2015 @ 10:30am

Taking a programming class early in the morning on Mondays and Wednesdays. I have to drive a good 50 mins round trip to take this class (which costs gas), pay for the class and all the fees/expenses that comes with it, and pay for the lost work opportunities (since I have to take time off of my job to do this class). I show up 5 mins late for class today, thanks to poor weather (fog) and road construction making it so I could only drive half-speed this morning. And my professor had locked the door to the lecture hall and refused to open it. I get all the reasons why he did this. I even think they're somewhat justifiable. But you can't pull that kind of shit at a commuter-school and not even warn your students ahead of time that that's going to be the case. I'm actually livid right now.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Feb 2nd, 2015 @ 10:39am

People that are so anal about punctuality piss me off so much. There are a million and one variables that can lead to someone being late to something. Everyone is late for something at some point in their life and it's almost always due to factors outside their control. That said, was this the first day of the class? If not, how could you not have known about the locked door policy? If so, I would have personally gone out of my way to be a lot earlier than I normally would have. Whenever I have to be somewhere I am not familiar with I always factor in 15-20 minutes at least in case I get lost.

Also, just do programming courses at Udacity. Not having to deal with other people is the best way to learn IMO.
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Feb 2nd, 2015 @ 11:08am

That lockout sounds shitty. You should of spent the next hour mooning the class until he let you in.

Also, I wish I could do some online course thing to learn programing but 1- I don't trust this random website to actually teach me, 2- I don't trust myself to actually keep up with these "do it yourself" type courses.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Feb 2nd, 2015 @ 11:45am

I did about 2/3 of one of the entry level courses on there just because I wanted some real fundamental knowledge about programming, not to actually learn any real skills. I couldn't say whether it would turn you into a genius programmer to do some of those courses, but I'll say that having the information presented in 2-5 minute Youtube videos and short drills and the ability to start/stop whenever you wanted made it pretty easy going.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Feb 2nd, 2015 @ 12:57pm

LiQuid wrote:That said, was this the first day of the class? If not, how could you not have known about the locked door policy? If so, I would have personally gone out of my way to be a lot earlier than I normally would have. Whenever I have to be somewhere I am not familiar with I always factor in 15-20 minutes at least in case I get lost.
This wasn't the first day of class. It's like, the 4th. I was on time every other day. Our instructor has said nothing to us at all about a locked door policy. I even double-checked all emails, the syllabus, and any other course information to double check. I teach too, I know that it's annoying and shit to have people show up late and interrupt class/lecture. I get the frustration and the temptation. But I would never lock the doors on my students and discourage anyone from entering my classroom. Never mind never give anyone advance warning that that was going to be my policy.

LiQuid wrote:Also, just do programming courses at Udacity. Not having to deal with other people is the best way to learn IMO.
This is one of the things I find absolutely baffling about all of this too. By all accounts - meaning everyone I've ever talked to in the tech sector - they recommend just learning on your own. It's free so you won't be neck-deep in debt the rest of your life. You can learn everything you need, there's so many more resources, and you aren't held down by bad teachers/systems/students around you. And in a profession like programming where most people don't actually care about if you have a formal education on the matter and just care about you demonstrating practical skills - I don't know how this college professor can justify his job like this. I'm actually a pretty solid believer in educational institutions and having a structured education. But it's jaded shit like this that disengages students and gives fuel to naysayers to argue against the inherent value of the job you're doing.

darfox8 wrote:Also, I wish I could do some online course thing to learn programming but 1- I don't trust this random website to actually teach me, 2- I don't trust myself to actually keep up with these "do it yourself" type courses.
I'll echo what LiQuid said. And at the very least, it doesn't hurt to just try it, man. Are you afraid of wasting your time that you'd otherwise not really spend doing anything productive? I've sat and watched you figure out how to do shit on your own too, you're not some dummy who is incapable of this stuff. And if you get really stuck somewhere, there's all kinds of online communities full of people just like you who are asking the same questions or sharing tips - not to mention other people like say, around here, who do programming and could give you the occasional pointer from time to time.
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Feb 4th, 2015 @ 1:49pm

Darfox if you want to learn programming on your own I agree with Kenzo and Liquid - learning by yourself at home is a definite option; in most tech and game industries now you don't really need a relevant degree -- the thing they look for most is if you know the language, can think outside of the language, and apply it to real world, team-based scenarios (and finally the most obvious; is it relevant to that particular industry). In most of the studios I worked at our developers (& in some cases, designers & artists!) didn't even have a full tech background ... some came from liberal arts degrees, others came from dropping out of university ... but they taught themselves at home, built up a good amount of projects to show off, and most importantly, were able to communicate the thinking behind their syntax to other people. That's what most employers will look for tbh. Also Fizz Buzz ... ugh Fizz Buzz hahaha

You're a smart guy Darfox, I think you should give it a try!
Jenn04

Postby darfox8 » Feb 4th, 2015 @ 2:30pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have been fiddling with that Udacity thing liquid mentioned. It's a great site with very straightforward videos. Good set up. Seemingly has all the lessons for free, any graded projects or access to instructors is behind a pay way but whatever, I'll think about that later. I'm doing the Introduction to Computer Science and it's pretty straightforward but the only thing I worry about is the relevance of the language. It's Python and I have no idea how useful that is in the work space. I assume learning a language is the first step and being able to adapt to others is what makes you competent, but it's one of the main reasons I haven't done this sooner, too many doubts and shit.

Like you guys have said it can't hurt to try and it's invigorating to learn this stuff. At least at the start before it's gotten hard and nerve racking.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Feb 4th, 2015 @ 2:50pm

Python is an older language that doesn't have a lot of relevance for work environments. But it's straight forward and simple and a good place for beginners to learn. Most of these computer languages are similar at their core in terms of what they do and how they do it. The difference is in things like syntax and the keywords you use (so, no 'print' to show text, use some other word like 'cout'). Once you understand how computer languages work in general, it becomes a lot easier to shift into another language. So that's the point of starting you off with python. I'm taking a C++ course right now. It would be hard as fuck if I didn't already know some basic crap and some python, but the transition now is fairly smooth.

I can't see this stuff becoming nerve racking - there's literally zero things at stake here (where as, if you were taking a formal class, you might have deadlines and grades). If anything, you'll find it invigorating. I've seen you fiddle around with minecraft or lbp and wrapping your head around some kind of dilemma until you figure out a solution and get things right - that's basically the mentality of programming right there. If you can do that stuff, you can do this too. It's all about application of basic logic and making sure you've got all your syntax in order.
kenzo

Postby Jenn04 » Feb 4th, 2015 @ 4:28pm

Yes! Python & Javascript are great places to start to wrap your head around how to write good code, quickly. C++ is very handy and very powerful; for game dev a lot of smaller & mobile studios use C# (just cause they mostly use Unity now) - but either one is helpful to know in the long run; you can know both over time since they share a lot of the same characteristics!

(Just be careful on sites like Stack Overflow, each language has their own set of fanboys lol)
Jenn04

Postby CrossXhunteR » Feb 12th, 2015 @ 11:50pm

Smoke alarms need to know not to chirp at night for a low battery. Twice now that this has woken me up in the middle of the night this past year.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2015 @ 1:25am

They should just be able to be set to not make any noise at night. It's dumb that they can go off when people are sleeping.
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics