Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

Re: The Comic Conspiracy Podcast Discussion Thread

Postby dakazu » Dec 3rd, 2014 @ 11:24pm

Do my ears deceive me?

Comic Conspiracy is reading manga? And Naurto, no less?
dakazu

Postby kevinep3 » Dec 4th, 2014 @ 10:55am

dakazu wrote:Do my ears deceive me?

Comic Conspiracy is reading manga? And Naurto, no less?

Oh god no, don't do it. Please dont do it.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » Dec 7th, 2014 @ 12:31am

I'm laughing so hard at this week's episode. Brock's misguided attempts to join in with the rest of the gang's "funny racism" and Toby giving him shit. Now Higgins F I N A L L Y manages to pronounce Frank Quitely properly and then credits him as an American artist. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Dec 7th, 2014 @ 12:53am

LiQuid wrote:Now Higgins F I N A L L Y manages to pronounce Frank Quitely properly and then credits him as an American artist. :lol:

I don't know why I would have said that, clearly it was a slip. Gimme a timestamp, I need to hear what I said. :lol: I've met the man before, obviously I know he's Scottish!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Dec 7th, 2014 @ 4:03am

35:25 is where the rant started. Gotta get those American artists like Frank Quietly on the level of the European artists like Spanish Guy.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Dec 8th, 2014 @ 10:56pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 187 (2014-12-08)
This week, we discuss Dark Knight Returns Again, Marc Silvestri on Batman, Star Wars sells 1 million copies, Suicide Squad movie casting, Benedict Cumberbatch is Doctor Strange, #Flarrow, Titans, Krypton, Preacher, and the Gotham mid-season finale. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 18m 35s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CrossXhunteR » Dec 9th, 2014 @ 4:31am

Brock, please never say, "Mistah J" like that again.
CrossXhunteR

Postby darfox8 » Dec 13th, 2014 @ 4:35pm

I became vaguely aware of the Batgirl transgender villain reveal and I've already read angry responses on both sides. I guarantee that if you guys talk about it on the podcast it will be a shit show. So I guess you guys should not even talk about it? I don't know. It should be easy to just be nice and considerate of people's views and alternatively realistic and sensible about whatever point you need to get across, but that's seemingly impossible.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby CrossXhunteR » Dec 13th, 2014 @ 4:52pm

I don't think any of them read that book.
CrossXhunteR

Postby darfox8 » Dec 13th, 2014 @ 5:08pm

If they're misrepresenting the issue then sure, that's a problem. I haven't seen any explanations as to how that one page isn't representative. If they've seen the panel and there is no other intricacies to the situation then their comment/or opinion wouldn't change if they read the whole thing.

I dunno. What I've seen of it: it's relatively harmless(or ignorant) but other people don't think so. Instead of rubbing it in their faces like other creator have done in the past(PA with dickwolves) they're actually being sensible and apologizing and letting people know they'll think about this stuff more going forward.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby CrossXhunteR » Dec 14th, 2014 @ 10:17am

I read the issue. I don't really see much wrong, but I probably wouldn't anyways.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Master Higgins » Dec 17th, 2014 @ 12:05am

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 188 (2014-12-15)
This week, we discuss Nonplayer #2, Speedball the Inhuman, New 52 Archie, DC’s Culling, Axis, and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Flash, and Arrow mid-season finales. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 15m 35s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Dec 17th, 2014 @ 1:12am

Nonplayer! All aboard the time machine to 2011!
LiQuid

Postby VlonewolfV » Dec 17th, 2014 @ 2:15am

The podcast mentioned they wanted to hear from a pro SHIELD viewer so I figured it was time for my second post. haha

Regarding the finales:

Flash-
Spoiler: show
I have actually not been too big of a fan of Flash so far. I am very aware i am one of the few. For me they don't know how to switch from the funny light hearted tone to the super dramatic tone. I have still enjoyed the individual episodes, but they were very uneven for me. As far as the finale, Firestorm had no business being in it. It was random and pointless and didn't serve the story at all except to show off his powers. Which is upsetting because all of the reverse Flash stuff was pretty spectacular. It is making me very excited for the back half of the season. Hopefully they can fix the tone issue. As for the "shocking" ending, I was expecting it. When you end almost every episode with a scene of Wells in his secret room doing something suspicious, I was just waiting for it to happen here. As for what it meant I am not familiar enough with Flash lore to even venture a guess. Should be fun though, and despite my lukewarm reception to this show I really am excited to see what they do.

Arrow-
By season 3, it has become very apparent that set-up is not this shows strength. It is so much better at payoff. The back halves of Season 1 and 2 were both pretty amazing so I expect the same for season 3. This mid finale did not disappoint either. Yeah it is obvious to comic fans that the lazarus pit will be used, but it's still exciting. A lot of this episode was just amazing. Even with the odd Laurel tells her mother about Sarah stuff the episode was amazing. The final fight was great. I can't wait to see everyones reaction and watch Roy step up to protect the city. Should be very fun.

SHIELD-
I am complete opposite of Ryan apparently because this show has quickly become my favorite comic book show. Ryan was saying how it was too slow. Yes, season 1 was nearly abysmal, but ever since the fall of SHIELD, the plot has been moving at a rockets pace. This season has been introducing what could have been season long mysteries and then solving them three episodes later. They introduce the carvings and solve it showing it's a blueprint. They find the city the very next episode. THEN they are at the city and in the temple shortly thereafter. I was sure it was going to take all season to find the location. The villains are spectacular. Unlike Flash and Arrow where 90% of their villains are meaningless and are meant to simply make fun little episodes, every one they introduce in SHIELD is vital and important. PLUS the big bad of the season is dead already. HOLY CRAP that was awesome. I don't see how he can think the plot is moving slowly this season at all. The stories and characters have just been firing on all cylinders. And with the introduction of the Inhumans, it shows how the show can lead the way for the movie MCU. It is going to do all of the groundwork for them which is awesome.

If you are only watching a comic book show to see them throw new characters at you every episode than yeah Arrow and Flash are the ones for you. And that can be a really fun way to go, I am not knocking it. I also agree that not being tied to the movie verse allows them more freedom that SHIELD does not have. I actually think that is helping SHIELD though. SHIELD is actually telling a real story set in their universe. Yes it is a very different take than the usual CBshow, but it is one I much prefer and love. It means that every time they introduce someone from the comics it has actual meaning for me.
VlonewolfV

Postby Master Higgins » Dec 22nd, 2014 @ 8:59pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 189 (2014-12-22)
Join us for Part One of our two-part end of year wrap-up! This week, we discuss our top comic picks for 2014. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 03m 13s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CrossXhunteR » Dec 23rd, 2014 @ 1:32pm

Kenzo and I have been singing the praises of Batman and Robin for the longest time.
Also, calling Muiltiversity the best book is a bit weird. Issue two hasn't even come out yet.

Edit: Higgins, you should read East of West. It has an interesting world.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Dec 23rd, 2014 @ 2:19pm

CrossXhunteR wrote:Kenzo and I have been singing the praises of Batman and Robin for the longest time.

Not as long as I have... Oh wait you meant the shitty comic and not the amazing movie.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Dec 29th, 2014 @ 10:49pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 190 (2014-12-29)
This week, we discuss our top 3 comic book movies and tv shows of 2014. Starring Ryan Higgins, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, Lane Terasaki, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 01m 57s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 5th, 2015 @ 10:56pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 191 (2015-01-05)
This week, we discuss New Year’s Eve, Comics Conspiracy's Top 100 Graphic Novels of 2014, Axis finale, X-Recommendations, and the Book Club Pick of the Month: Naruto. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Toby Sidler, and Lane Terasaki.
Running Time: 1h 28m 47s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby darfox8 » Jan 8th, 2015 @ 7:42pm

It was interesting hearing two manga noobs articulate their experiences with a long form popular manga, like Naruto. I like Bryce's optimism. I like how he described enjoying even though nothing really happened. I lol'd at that. Good on him for taking it for what it was and finding things to enjoy about it. About Brock, I feel Brock's reaction was mostly reasonably and valid. If you give something a shot and it doesn't grab you, moving on is justified. But he himself said it took him 15 minutes to read those 60 pages, I figured knowing how much Tobi likes this book and how big of an audience it has outside of his wheel house, that maybe he would of pushed forward a little bit to try and see why people like Tobi enjoy it so much. Even if he doesn't enjoy it he can still understand a little of why other people do, instead of just shunning it. But whatever, like I said, nobody should be forced to read Naruto.

Thanks for the Manga Machination plugs, super nice of Higgins. To give Tobi a little bit of information on how the podcast works. Every podcast has a "What you've been reading?" segment and it's always at the very start of the podcast. They is probably your best bet for recommendations because we talk about various mangas very briefly. We kind of just give synopses and how we felt about it and if we'll continue. Then from there we move on to our main series. Where we talk about a specific manga very in-depth, nearly chapter per chapter, until we're done. First series was Billy Bat, then Parasyte, now we're doing Slam Dunk. We are two episode in with our Slam Dunk series and we've covered up to Chapter 48, the Ryonan practice match. If you still have the manga you can follow along and hear a first timer's reaction to it(Seamus has never read Slam Dunk or any sports manga). This is the Manga Machinations thread. viewtopic.php?p=172736#p172736
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 8th, 2015 @ 8:09pm

darfox8 wrote:15 minutes to read those 60 pages
Wat.

It should only take you like, 2 minutes to read 60 pages. Mangos are a fast read. Brock confirmed as shitter.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Jan 8th, 2015 @ 9:54pm

Sentai refers to sentai shows like power rangers.

Seinen manga is manga for adults.
dakazu

Postby darfox8 » Jan 8th, 2015 @ 10:02pm

I lol'd when Higgins said that. It's an honest mistake though.
darfox8

Postby LiQuid » Jan 8th, 2015 @ 11:01pm

Manga for adults is an oxymoron.
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » Jan 8th, 2015 @ 11:17pm

That's your opinion.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jan 8th, 2015 @ 11:27pm

LiQuid wrote:comics in general for adults is an oxymoron.
FTFY
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 8th, 2015 @ 11:42pm

I do not disagree.
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Jan 9th, 2015 @ 9:37am

[Naruto] is the biggest thing since Dragonball

Nope, that would be One Piece.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 9th, 2015 @ 10:50am

darfox8 wrote:I lol'd when Higgins said that. It's an honest mistake though.

Hah, yeah, afterwards I realized I said the wrong thing.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 12th, 2015 @ 10:58pm

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE: The Comic Conspiracy — Episode 192 (2015-01-12)
This week, we're joined by author and friend of the podcast Kevin Sharp as we discuss his Secret Origin, Kevin Sharp's Hollywood Story, Image Expo, Diamond Comics Top 10 of 2014, iZombie trailer, and the Ant-Man teaser. Starring Ryan Higgins, Bryce Larsen, Brock Sager, Kevin Sharp, Toby Sidler, and Charlie West.
Running Time: 1h 24m 15s
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics