Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Build/ Upgrade a PC

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 8:04am

LiQuid wrote:My PC is such a dumpster fire.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1001965

Can anybody tell me why all my shit is performing below expectations? Is my shit overheating? What's a program I can use to check my running temps?

You should probably overclock your CPU and maybe even your GPU. Upgrading to windows 10 would probably help some too but I know you're not going to do that.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 9:18am

I think my wifi card is dying. Anyone have a suggestion on a good card to use as a replacement?

I'm not hard wiring this, sorry. It's the 21st century, all wires must go.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 9:48am

I used a 10 dollar wifi dongle that gave good speeds, until it seemed to die that is.
CrossXhunteR

Postby meDotJS » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 11:38am

kenzo wrote:I'm not hard wiring this, sorry. It's the 21st century, all wires must go.

Even the best WiFi solution won't be as good as ethernet.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby LiQuid » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 12:40pm

How would upgrading to Windows 10 help my CPU perform better? Windows 10 didn't exist when my CPU was manufactured. Does Windows 10 contain sorcery that makes old, shitty components perform at higher specs than they are physically capable of? Please tell me about this sorcery.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 5:07pm

From your benchmark

Although Windows 7 is still a reasonable option it's nearly seven years old. This system should be upgraded to Windows 10 which is generally faster and has an improved set of core utilities including better versions of explorer and task manager.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 5:38pm

Ok, so it won't magically make my hardware better. Got it.
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 5:42pm

No, but the benchmark can only measure what's not being used by the OS. If an OS idles at 15% CPU usage that will mean the benchmark is effectively measuring 85% of your CPU power. If the OS idles at 10% you can get a benchmark for the other 90% instead.

Windows 10 is a better OS in that regard.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 6:04pm

I don't think that 5% difference is the reason why his PC is shit, MeDot...
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 6:57pm

It's not helping
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Apr 18th, 2016 @ 10:13pm

That's not how logic works.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Apr 19th, 2016 @ 11:31pm

Got a new bluetooth mouse & keyboard was the right idea for my media pc (old shitty laptop). Sooooo much more responsive.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 24th, 2016 @ 4:56pm

Every day I wake up to "WE'RE GOING TO UPGRADE YOU TO WINDOWS 10 TONIGHT AT 3AM OK?????"

Do I just take the plunge?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CrossXhunteR » Apr 24th, 2016 @ 4:59pm

Sure. An annoying thing with Windows 10 is my computer turns back on when I turn it off, forcing me to turn it off twice. I think this is because my peripherals are set to be able to turn on my computer, and there is a strange interaction there.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Apr 24th, 2016 @ 5:05pm

You can delete one of your old Windows Updates that will cancel the notification if you want to stick with Windows 7. You're on Windows 7 right? If you're using Windows 8 just upgrade it.
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Apr 24th, 2016 @ 10:54pm

Master Higgins wrote:Every day I wake up to "WE'RE GOING TO UPGRADE YOU TO WINDOWS 10 TONIGHT AT 3AM OK?????"

Yes. There's no real reason not to.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 27th, 2016 @ 8:30pm

Master Higgins wrote:Every day I wake up to "WE'RE GOING TO UPGRADE YOU TO WINDOWS 10 TONIGHT AT 3AM OK?????"

Yes.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Apr 27th, 2016 @ 9:07pm

meDotJS wrote:Yes. There's no real reason not to.
That's a really shit reason to do things. There's also no reason to do so either.

If you don't like Windows asking you to update now, Higgins, enjoy Windows 10 where the updates are mandatory and forced.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 8:37am

Also enjoy a faster OS that runs games better
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 1:19pm

That's such a nebulous bullshit statement. I haven't had any complaints with the speed of Windows 7. Whatever that means. And it runs games fine, outside of the half dozen games that require Windows 10, like Gigantic, which is probably DOA anyways because nobody plays it or cares about it.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 2:07pm

Windows 10 scores better on benchmarks in a negligible way that Higgins will never fucking notice playing only WoW or HotS. And those mostly have to do with Windows 10 exploiting how benchmark programs work versus actual playing conditions of real games, where you'll see your games running at 55fps on average tick up to 57fps or some bullshit.

As for 'running faster' I can categorically say that's false. Windows 7 or 8 'run' at the same speed. The difference comes in some of the tweaks to the startup procedures, which are faster, but honestly not worth an OS upgrade, especially considering all of windows 10's drawbacks. I turn my PC on, it takes a minute or so to boot up, big fuckin' woop. It gives me time to walk to the kitchen and grab a drink, or go to the bathroom and take a piss. Most of the OS slowdown too just has to do with having a packed registry that gets bloated overtime as well, just like literally every OS. Windows 10 will begin to 'slow down' over the next few years for you unless you do fresh installs, and windows 11 will feel so much faster when it isn't. You know what's faster? Waking your PC up from sleep mode. My windows 7 PC, from pressing the power button to doing shit on the desktop again literally only takes a second when it's been in sleep mode. It's kind of the reason why sleep mode exists. So why exactly should anyone update their OS because they're incapable or unwilling to put their computer into sleep mode?
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 2:13pm

I can never figure out how to properly use sleep mode. I never know what combination of in-OS prompts and buttons on my tower I need to press in order to make it sleep and wake it up. I'd probably use sleep mode if I knew how as an alternative to just leaving my shit on 24/7.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 2:19pm

I will say to Higgins that, upgrading from 8 to 10 might be worth, simply because 8 is such utter trash, and 10 is an improvement only because it brings the OS back to be more like 7. But if you already have 7, or can just install 7, why not just keep 7? Do you really need to be able to ask Cortana questions from your system tray?
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 6:08pm

Why upgrade to Windows 7? Windows XP works just fine
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 6:47pm

7 provided tangible and huge upgrades over XP. The two ran off completely different kernels. 10 is just a re-skin of 8 to make it functional again, which was actually just 7 with a bunch of garbage mobile phone junk slapped on top. You need 7 over XP to take advantage of modern PC hardware like 64-bit, multi-core CPUs, RAM configurations larger than 1-2GBs, HDDs that can handle files larger than 4GBs and capacities in the TBs, USB3.0, etc. Win10 does literally nothing that 7 can't with a desktop, aside from shit nobody cares about like native touch-screen input/controls.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 6:58pm

Newest DirectX is Win10 only, as is the Windows 10 store. You may not care for those, but they do go against the "literally nothing" sentiment. And yes, people do care about those.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 7:05pm

I refuse to believe people actually care about the Windows 10 Store, and if you do, you need to get your head checked for brain tumors. And yes, some people do care about the newest DirectX. They're mostly people who can't stand not being on the bleeding edge for irrational reasons, so you have to ask yourself two important questions here:

1) Do you even have a GPU that can take advantage of it?

2) Do you even have games that can take advantage of it?

Because to make a Win10 upgrade worth it, you need to answer 'yes' to both questions, and I'm willing to bet the answer for both is no. Especially for a guy like Higgins who only plays WoW. A game that is TWELVE years old and will look like ass no matter what your graphical settings are.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 8:04pm

People care about the windows 10 store because it allows you to play Xbox One games without needing to buy a Xbox One and some of them have cross platform multiplayer. So your friends could have Gears of War 4 on XBone and you could get it on windows 10 and you could play together.

Also DX12 is backwards compatible with most GPUs so pretty much everyone here has one thats compatible.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby totoro » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 8:57pm

Why upgrade to Windows 10? I'll throw in my 2 cents even though I largely despise Windows as a result of supporting it day in and day out for the last 11+ years of my life.

1 - it's going to be supported much longer than Windows 7 or 8 are. This seems like a 'well duh' statement, but it's important to remember that Microsoft does not support their different operating systems forever. Windows XP already doesn't receive critical security updates, Windows 7 has gone past its mainstream support end of life (1/13/2015) and is currently on extended support. Granted that extended support is until 1/14/2020, it's going to run out and eventually the trickle of bug fixes and updates are going to slow from not only Microsoft, but from other software providers as well. Windows 8's extended end of life goes to something like 2023 which is a long way off, but if MS is willing to give you their next longterm OS now free for a limited time it makes sense to a point.

2 - they've overhauled the OS in a big way and reduced a lot of bloat. The same way that the Windows 7 out of the box seemed to run better than Windows Vista did out of the box (of course a dead cat ran better of the box than Vista). They've identified efficiencies in the code and how it runs on the hardware to take better advantage of what's already there while cleaning up the bugs that exist. We've seen it at work where the newer releases of the Windows 10 OS run better than the previous versions.

So no, it's not going to be a silver bullet that's going to allow you to magically run something in a much better way, but it can extend the life of what you have by enough of a margin and if you're going to be building on what you've already got regardless then it makes even more sense from the obsolescence standpoint.

Like I said, my 2 cents that everyone has probably already considered, but it's worth restating and rethinking.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby LiQuid » Apr 28th, 2016 @ 10:12pm

I only get odd numbered Windows. It's MS's fault for skipping 9.
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics