Wherein we discuss tabletop RPGs, board games, anime, books, music, technology, and stupid Internet fads.

Re: Build/ Upgrade a PC

Postby Starwats » Sep 15th, 2016 @ 9:36am

My Asus Sabertooth bit the dust (literally, maybe) in the beginning of the summer. I don't know what to do. Can I send it back to be fixed? I don't really want to but I might just buy a brand new high mid-term rig. All my hobbies and gaming have been on hold because I don't have a machine. Pls send help fam.
LiQuid wrote:I think secretly kenzo gets even madder about Dota than even Dakazu.

No trading.
Starwats

Postby LiQuid » Sep 15th, 2016 @ 1:52pm

Why didn't you just RMA it when it happened?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 15th, 2016 @ 2:47pm

I have no idea how to handle the situation you're in Starwats, my condolences. Are you 100% positive it's the mobo? Sometimes dead ram or a kill-power supply will make it appear like your entire machine is bork. I will say however for future reference that you should be cleaning out the interior of your pc on a semi-frequent basis. Open the chassis, get a vacuum with some pc cleaning attachments, and suck out all the dirt. Especially on the fans, on circuits, and super especially on heatsinks. There are filters you can buy to put on your intake fans that will help keep the insides cleaner; I dunno how much I would recommend those however.

Edit: I have one of these, they work great: https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Vacuum-Att ... B000BSJCLY
kenzo

Postby Starwats » Sep 15th, 2016 @ 7:19pm

LiQuid wrote:Why didn't you just RMA it when it happened?

I was out of warranty
kenzo wrote:I have no idea how to handle the situation you're in Starwats, my condolences. Are you 100% positive it's the mobo? Sometimes dead ram or a kill-power supply will make it appear like your entire machine is bork. I will say however for future reference that you should be cleaning out the interior of your pc on a semi-frequent basis. Open the chassis, get a vacuum with some pc cleaning attachments, and suck out all the dirt. Especially on the fans, on circuits, and super especially on heatsinks. There are filters you can buy to put on your intake fans that will help keep the insides cleaner; I dunno how much I would recommend those however.

Edit: I have one of these, they work great: https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Vacuum-Att ... B000BSJCLY

I know that it wasn't the ram or power supply, I was able to test each individually on a different machine. I should have probably been cleaning it more but right now it is clean and dead.
LiQuid wrote:I think secretly kenzo gets even madder about Dota than even Dakazu.

No trading.
Starwats

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 16th, 2016 @ 6:22am

If the CPU is still good replace the mobo.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Starwats » Oct 13th, 2016 @ 9:02am

Mr_eX wrote:If the CPU is still good replace the mobo.

Can I find a mobo today that is compatible with LGA1366 and the RAM I have?

No trading.
Starwats

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 14th, 2016 @ 5:25pm

Are you OK with getting a refurb?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Starwats » Oct 19th, 2016 @ 9:41am

Mr_eX wrote:Are you OK with getting a refurb?

Yeah, I feel like it would be a waste to ditch all this working hardware and get a new machine because I can't find a brand new mobo. If I can find a refurbished one that would be a lot easier and cheaper for me. Do you have any recommendations of where and what to look for?

No trading.
Starwats

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 20th, 2016 @ 6:27am

Ebay is probably your best bet. The refurbs on newegg look super expensive.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 20th, 2016 @ 7:52am

Referbs are unnecessary. Just buy a cheaper, but new mobo. Mobos are backwards compatible with lots and lots of cpus and ram-chips, and they'll tell you which ones. And this way, you can upgrade your other parts later if you want while not potentially getting scammed off of ebay.

Newegg is kill, now that the Chinese are their overlords.
kenzo

Build/ Upgrade a PC

Postby Mandietxoj » Sep 30th, 2017 @ 10:38am

really nice build i love the colour scheme on the car

you coming out to play at the pod and combe this year?
Reliable mt4 expert advisor for self-earnings
Mandietxoj

Build/ Upgrade a PC

Postby Alexzspa » Oct 12th, 2017 @ 6:32am

The DS215j has a MARVELL Armada 375 88F6720 CPU. What build of Twonky Server should I install for DS215j?
I suggest you try this metatrader expert advisor for reliable investments
Alexzspa

How do I convert my cda music to alac often

Postby Twewalmila » Nov 7th, 2017 @ 10:07am

There would be a loss of quality, but the difference would be negligible to most listeners using standard speakers or headphones. If you're an audiophile, then in addition to having expensive audio equipment, you're probably never going to use the MP3 format anyway. Cda to alac converter freeware company website: http://www.magicaudiotools.com/rip-cd-to-alac text left free cda to alac converter not
Twewalmila

Previous
Forum Statistics