Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Lost: A handy guide to unsolved mysteries

Postby Klendathu » May 16th, 2009 @ 1:30pm

I just call Jacob's rival Esau, simply for the sake of making it easier to address him.

Jacob tinkered with the Black Rock, which somehow lead to Dharma, the guys creating the incident, a.k.a the loophole. The loophole Esau was looking for. The loophole is this weird time paradox which maintains itself by means of skipping time and such.

As a result, Richard was lead to believe that both Benjamin Linus and Locke, were important enough to be leaders. At the same time Esau assumed the Role of Jacob and fed false information to Ben, maintaining the loophole. This is also why the real Jacob never seemed to have met or even know Benjamin Linus. The guy we did believe to be Jacob for five seasons was most likely Esau to begin with.

The real Jacob knew Esau was looking for a loophole. So he left for the real world and started to tinker with it. Not totally collapsing it, but derailing Esau's plan. Jacob said that he would be ready if Esau ever found his loophole and he is. He resurrected Locke after Locke fell from the window and he surely did look dead to me lying on that lawn. So my money is on Jacob having a few tricks up his sleeve. At the least he passed his "essence" onto the Oceanic 6 and Illiana, so Esau goes down with him or is confined to that room forever.

Jacob and Esau have a conflict whether change seems possible, so instead of just being killed in an inevitable loophole, he makes sure they both go down in flames. Literally.
Klendathu

Postby second2one » May 17th, 2009 @ 6:37pm

Well you're right about "Esau" being the one we thought was Jacob for the entire series. Jacob knew what was coming and prepared himself for it. He recruited Iliana and sent the other survivors back in time. He wanted them to come back to the island so they create their own loophole for Jacob.

But this "Esau" guy is one crafty mother, using dead people to talk to Ben and convince him to follow Locke (who is actually, in fact, Esau himself). Jacob must be able to make the dead talk to people too, thats how he tried to convince Hurley and Jack to come back to the island, and ultimately had to go see Hurley in person when he shrugged it off.

In the end my burning questions are whats up with Illana and Richard? Are they part of some latin speaking Egyptian pantheon of gods who are just lower in rank than Jacob and "Esau"? Why is Frank a "candidate"? Candidate for what? Jacobs new body?

Anyway, whatever, we have 7 months to think about it LOL
second2one

Postby Big Pick Zel » May 19th, 2009 @ 5:53pm

I think Lapidus is a candidate to be the next Jacob... it seems like Locke and Christian, since they were both brought to the island after being dead, were taken over by Jacob's nemesis. Why couldn't Lapidus' body take over for Jacob now that Jacob is dead?
Classic vampires are just zombies with more Satan in them.
http://www.cryptocartographer.com
Big Pick Zel

Postby FaderCreep » Jun 14th, 2009 @ 2:55am

Lapidus the candidate.
Lapidus was MEANT to be the pilot of 815.
The smoke monster killed the replacement pilot in the first episode.

Did smokey think it was Lapidus.... the future candidate... Hence why it did away with the pilot so brutally without judgement... Meaning the candidate is a threat to Smokey, or whoever.. whatever.. smokey is protecting.
FaderCreep

Postby archaic frost » Jun 16th, 2009 @ 10:21pm

Discovered this little factoid recently:

The earliest known captive polar bear was housed by Ptolemy II, king of ancient Egypt (285-246 B.C.), in his private zoo in Alexandria.

Thought it was interesting, especially with all the talk of Egyptian mythology surrounding Lost. Could be a coincidence...
archaic frost

Postby Lombaszko » Jun 17th, 2009 @ 4:10am

archaic frost wrote:Discovered this little factoid recently:

The earliest known captive polar bear was housed by Ptolemy II, king of ancient Egypt (285-246 B.C.), in his private zoo in Alexandria.

Thought it was interesting, especially with all the talk of Egyptian mythology surrounding Lost. Could be a coincidence...

Woah, nice find!
Last edited by Lombaszko on Jun 23rd, 2009 @ 6:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Lombaszko

Postby Lombaszko » Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 4:45am

More possible Egyptian connections?
While re-watching season 1 episode, "The Moth" I noticed Charlie's brother had this on his shirt.
Larger
Looks similar to Anubis's head. Coincidence or just a bitching T?
Am I reaching?
Last edited by Lombaszko on Jun 23rd, 2009 @ 6:19am, edited 2 times in total.
Lombaszko

Postby Big Pick Zel » Jun 22nd, 2009 @ 5:19pm

Lombaszko wrote:Am I reaching?

It's Lost. So, no.
Big Pick Zel

Postby theOtherGuy » Jun 27th, 2009 @ 12:17am

Did anybody ever mention that Christian Shephard v.2 was probably Jacob's enemy in disguise (since he had the ability to be "fake" Locke)?

And by being a "fake" Christian Shephard, he ended up manipulating Jack to bring everybody back to the island, including Locke's body....which was needed so Jacob's enemy could be fake Locke and get Jacob killed.
theOtherGuy

Postby Big Pick Zel » Jun 28th, 2009 @ 8:57am

Oh yeah, I forgot. My new theory is that the one "in the shadow of the statue" is Eko. They buried him where he died... it seemed out-of-sorts at the time but now I think that's where he may be, and he may be the new Jacob.
Big Pick Zel

Postby archaic frost » Jul 12th, 2009 @ 11:37pm

Been re-watching season 1, and the Christian is the other guy came up. I think Christian was Jacob at first - at first Christian only shows up to help (shows Jack where they can get fresh water), he's wearing a suit and WHITE tennis shoes, which seems like a very odd and specific choice. Then Christian is gone for a long time, then when we see him again he's wearing 'others' type clothing and seems somewhat sinister - plus he's in Jacobs house, but later on the chick (forgot her name) says Jacob hasn't been there for a long time...

I have this whole crazy, long theory that I don't have time to get into right now involving dead bodies and transmogrification, but when I have an hour to try to lay my thoughts out in a clear fashion I'll be back.
archaic frost

Postby archaic frost » Jul 12th, 2009 @ 11:43pm

Also, by the way, as I"m re-watching episode 1 with some friends who have never seen it, I don't think the monster IS the smoke monster. The noises aren't the same, this monster has footsteps and sounds to me like the t-rex from Jurassic Park. The smoke monster doesn't uproot and knock over trees. Also, when the monster approaches Locke and he stops, turns around, and looks at it he is looking pretty high UP. 40+ ft straight up. I really hope it's another, different monster.
archaic frost

Postby Lombaszko » Jul 13th, 2009 @ 4:03am

archaic frost wrote:Also, by the way, as I"m re-watching episode 1 with some friends who have never seen it, I don't think the monster IS the smoke monster. The noises aren't the same, this monster has footsteps and sounds to me like the t-rex from Jurassic Park. The smoke monster doesn't uproot and knock over trees. Also, when the monster approaches Locke and he stops, turns around, and looks at it he is looking pretty high UP. 40+ ft straight up. I really hope it's another, different monster.

I'm doing the same, yes in the first few episodes when the monster is in the jungle it's pulling up trees and such. It doesn't really do that in later seasons but it does make the same noises as later on (some of the mechanical sounds, not the roaring when they are in the plane cabin with the pilot). It's weird but I don't think it's a different monster but it's Lost so who knows! They probably just hadn't figured out what it was going to be at the time.
Lombaszko

Postby archaic frost » Jul 14th, 2009 @ 1:50am

Something else that's curious. The whispering. It seems like most people just assumed it was the others and have since let it go, but the whispering happens at interesting times, at least at the beginning here. It never precedes violence. Sayid hears it when he's alone in the jungle after meeting the French woman and Sawyer hears it when he chases the boar as a couple of examples. Not sure if there's a correlation, but I'm wondering if it's related to Jacob.

What about the psychic who talked to Claire and Aaron, something about that is going to be very important. Maybe that's why people saw Walt even though he was gone - perhaps Jacob and Fakeob (as my friends and I have started calling him) are able to transmogrify to replicate both the deceased, and the very young. So one of them (my guess Jacob) becomes Walt to try to help, and Aaron can't come back to the island because they will emulate him.

Or, maybe Aaron NEEDS to come back to the island. When Claire is adamant about him never coming back, she's hanging out with island clothes Christian, who I think is Christian v. 3 (v. 1 is the real Christian when he was alive, v. 2 is the Jacob as Christian with white shoes).

I gotta say, if you haven't watched Lost from the start in a while, this is a good time to do it. There's a nice break still till next season starts, and depending on your pace and how soon you start, you could time it so you finish season 4 around when season 5 comes out on dvd and blu-ray (btw, if you haven't seen it on blu-ray you don't know what you're missing) in December, and the new season starts in January.

It's nice to already have answers to a lot of the surface level stuff and paying attention to questions that haven't been answered, or things that seem important but you would have never noticed before more recent events... I think there could be something to all this, I'd love to hear thoughts, whether you agree or disagree.
archaic frost

Postby archaic frost » Jul 15th, 2009 @ 11:23pm

From the Season 1 finale Exodus (can't remember if it was part 2 or 3):

(Sun is talking to Shannon just after Boone died)

SUN: Do you think all this ... all we've been through ... do you think we're
being punished?

SHANNON: Punished for what?

SUN: Things we did before. The secrets we kept. The lies we told.

SHANNON: Who do you think is punishing us?

SUN: Fate.

CLAIRE: (o.s.) No one's punishing us.

(They both turn to look at Claire, who stares off in front of her.)

CLAIRE: There's no such thing as fate.

Thoughts? Coincidence?
archaic frost

Postby LordReedum » Jul 17th, 2009 @ 8:45pm

I think it was just implied through the Desmond flashback in season 2 that Kelvin Inman joined the Dharma Initiative to find something new in his life. Like when someone travels to a third world country and helps people to feel good inside.
LordReedum

Postby Huxley » Aug 17th, 2009 @ 4:51am

One thing which has been puzzling me since s2 is the 108 minute thing. Since the button is always pressed at the same interval with same code, why not just program the computer to do it automatically?

Also what was the point of the whole Pearl Station experiment if they were not even going to read the note books was sent up the (fake) air tube.
Huxley

Postby kenzo » Oct 5th, 2009 @ 5:23pm

Huxley wrote:One thing which has been puzzling me since s2 is the 108 minute thing. Since the button is always pressed at the same interval with same code, why not just program the computer to do it automatically?

Because that would make sense.
kenzo

Postby barrbarr » Nov 18th, 2009 @ 4:19am

Thought that I should post the new promotional poster for lost season 6, however it is ridiculously large so here is a link to it instead.

http://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/up ... _NoABC.png
barrbarr

Postby MrBiggs » Nov 18th, 2009 @ 7:54am

Is that real or a fan-made thing?
MrBiggs

Postby LiQuid » Nov 18th, 2009 @ 10:37am

Lotta dead characters there...
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Nov 19th, 2009 @ 8:33pm

And for those that may have missed it, Lost officially returns with a 2-hour premiere Tuesday February 2 at 9 pm.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/11/19/ ... %E2%80%A6/

NOTE: The article also lists those stars/characters that will be billed as full-time series regulars and those that will be guest starring/recurring. Consider this your spoiler warning (if you think that kind of information is spoilery).
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby indieinsd » Dec 29th, 2009 @ 2:25pm

barrbarr wrote:Thought that I should post the new promotional poster for lost season 6, however it is ridiculously large so here is a link to it instead.

http://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/up ... _NoABC.png

Is this the first time Rose and Bernard get to be on the cover art? I just checked and it looks like it.
Last edited by indieinsd on Jan 9th, 2010 @ 4:03am, edited 1 time in total.
indieinsd

Postby LiQuid » Dec 30th, 2009 @ 12:03am

While not "main characters" they've been continuously featured in every season so far. Having their stories wrap up in the final season I think they deserve it.

What's the word on when the last season starts? I'm stoked. I always went into past seasons begrudgingly because the show has kind of an effect on me where I get annoyed with the cliffhangers, but now that it's finally going to be over, I'm excited to see every new episode.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Dec 30th, 2009 @ 10:51am

LiQuid wrote:What's the word on when the last season starts?

February 2.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby barrbarr » Jan 9th, 2010 @ 6:50pm

I found this http://www.cracked.com/video_18132_how- ... alert.html video on cracked. It was amusing to me I hope you guys also find it amusing, also it has some spoilers so dont watch it unless you have seen all the seasons of lost.
barrbarr

Postby Natto » Jan 10th, 2010 @ 6:38pm

Dunno if you all have seen the "Lost Supper" picture, but there's a crazy in-depth analysis of it: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2031346 ... _2,00.html
I like to draw stuff.
Natto

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jan 12th, 2010 @ 11:20am

The Lost TCA (Televisions Critics Association) panel was this morning and for those interested, here are two recaps/live blogs of the event (and depending on what you consider a spoiler, there may be spoilers in these recaps):

E!'s Kristen Dos Santos:
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_w ... ed_kristin

Alan Sepinwall:
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/inde ... the_f.html
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » Jan 12th, 2010 @ 1:18pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:The Lost TCA (Televisions Critics Association) panel was this morning and for those interested, here are two recaps/live blogs of the event (and depending on what you consider a spoiler, there may be spoilers in these recaps):

E!'s Kristen Dos Santos:
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_w ... ed_kristin

Alan Sepinwall:
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/inde ... the_f.html

I was just gonna give a quick glance to see if there was anything non-spoilery I could look at real quick for some hype, but yeah, the headline of the first link is a pretty big spoiler, though not surprising given the Lost universe.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 3:09pm

And now there's a THIRD "Last Supper" cast picture:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20337090_2,00.html

Filled with hidden meaning, or complete misdirection?
GiantAsianMan

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics