Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 71

Postby Rydog » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 1:32pm

We return you to your regularly scheduled cast and audio quality in this week's episode, where we tell you all about E3 2010 and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 71

Postby kenzo » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 1:43pm

Rydog wrote:We return you to your regularly scheduled cast and audio quality in this week's episode, where we tell you all about E3 2010 and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Yessssssssss!!
kenzo

Postby The__Doctor » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 2:04pm

The movies weren't that bad. Benders big score was one of my favorite futurama anything, and Into the wild green yonder was funny. And Benders game was good until they went into the fantasy world (which was half the movie).

But beast with a billion backs was pretty bad. Not even bender kicking his child into hell could save it.
The__Doctor

Postby shadyjohnson » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 3:25pm

Thank you so much for recording a podcast during E3. I was in deep podcast withdrawal and it was nice that at least my favorite podcast was still there last week.

Thank you for also being more than a three man crew this week.
Pro Lurker
shadyjohnson

Postby nukethewhales » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 4:16pm

Please never talk about movies again. The A-Team was a good movie while you're down on Brick? Are you insane? When you talk about anything other than videogames, television, and amusement park rides, it makes me want to strangle you. So keep talking about movies if you want, but sleep with one eye open.
nukethewhales

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 4:57pm

It's all James-Kond's fault for making me remember how much I hate Brick.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 5:24pm

Random factoid about Oswald the Lucky Rabbit- the rights were reacquired by Disney in what was essentially a trade with NBC Universal for sportscaster Al Michaels.

Also... [HarryPotterNerd]

Karen's wrong about The Hog's Head. It was featured in Order of the Phoenix; its where they meet up and first formed Dumbledore's Army. Aberforth Dumbledore also makes a quick cameo in that scene.

[/HarryPotterNerd]
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kenzo » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 6:51pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:Also... [HarryPotterNerd]

Karen's wrong about The Hog's Head. It was featured in Order of the Phoenix; its where they meet up and first formed Dumbledore's Army. Aberforth Dumbledore also makes a quick cameo in that scene.

[/HarryPotterNerd]

You beat me to it!

I don't care about Epic Mickey bringing back Oswald or other reject ideas. It's all meaningless if they don't bring back all of Disney's hidden racist shit like Br'er Rabbit, the Dumbo Crows, Sunflower, and Uncle Remus. Now *that* would be awesome/pushing the envelope.
kenzo

Postby Karen » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 7:48pm

Oh man, good call you guys. I must have misheard from the tour. My bad.

Also nice to know there are Potter fans among the listeners!

Best thing I found in the park? Boxes of Portable Swamp hidden in Zonko's. Thought that was beyond clever.
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby kenzo » Jun 23rd, 2010 @ 10:16pm

Karen wrote:Oh man, good call you guys. I must have misheard from the tour. My bad.

Also nice to know there are Potter fans among the listeners!

Best thing I found in the park? Boxes of Portable Swamp hidden in Zonko's. Thought that was beyond clever.

Portable Swamps at Zonko's, not the Weasley's? Maybe you misheard that too. ;)
kenzo

Postby IcarusII » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 1:50am

I'm gonna hate on you for a minute, Higgins.

For a while I've wanted to defend Avatar from your inane and egregiously poor critique, but in retrospect I don't think I ever needed to. Listening to your movie tastes in this episode, you pretty much make a case against yourself.
IcarusII

Postby GhaleonQ » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 2:14am

IcarusII wrote:I'm gonna hate on you for a minute, Higgins.

Listening to your movie tastes in this episode, you pretty much make a case against yourself.

Bad taste runs wild often, but agreed. Keep the focus on geek stuff, not art. I don't want to hear Higgins' opinion on Johnson any more than I want to hear it on Bresson. *also adores The Brothers Bloom, despite its problems*
GhaleonQ

Postby Kajaah117 » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 2:29am

o_O

Brick is a really great movie and probably one of the most important independent releases in the last decade. It may not be as incredible as some critics hyped it up to be, but I still have zero complaints.

What's with the hate?

Also, who doesn't like Harry Potter? Watch Prisoner of Azkaban and tell me it's anything short of incredible.
Kajaah117

Postby kenzo » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 2:41am

GhaleonQ wrote:
IcarusII wrote:I'm gonna hate on you for a minute, Higgins.

Listening to your movie tastes in this episode, you pretty much make a case against yourself.

Bad taste runs wild often, but agreed. Keep the focus on geek stuff, not art. I don't want to hear Higgins' opinion on Johnson any more than I want to hear it on Bresson. *also adores The Brothers Bloom, despite its problems*

Taste is relative, assholes.
kenzo

Postby Pepto » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 4:04am

Fuck Ryan Scott and his terrible taste in cartoons.
Pepto

Postby LiQuid » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 5:34am

As somebody who hates 90% of the shit all the rest of you retards love, I'm giving Higgins a pass on Brick. It's over the top on purpose. It feels like it was created with the intention of having half the people that see it hate the fuck out of it, which is kind of why I enjoyed it. Not because it's some kind of ground breaking cinema achievement or anything...
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 5:41am

Pepto wrote:Fuck Ryan Scott and his terrible taste in cartoons.

Ironically coming from the guy whose previous post almost four months ago:
Pepto wrote:Wow, there are some sad haters out there...
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 6:02am

I think it was Master Higgins (can't remember exactly) who was asking about the longevity of the Harry Potter ride and the franchise as a whole. Mark my words, Harry Potter will be to today's kids, what Star Wars was to us, maybe even more so.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 6:24am

kenzo wrote:I think it was Master Higgins (can't remember exactly) who was asking about the longevity of the Harry Potter ride and the franchise as a whole. Mark my words, Harry Potter will be to today's kids, what Star Wars was to us, maybe even more so.

No, didn't you hear? That's gonna be Avatar.
LiQuid

Postby Lombaszko » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 6:33am

I've always admired the way J.K. Rowling has handled the franchise. The way she doesn't want much product outside of the HP world in the park is reminiscent of how in the films the cast had to be entirely from the UK. Although looking at IMDB, Verne Troyer was in the first movie so maybe it just applied to the main cast.
Lombaszko

Postby kenzo » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 7:14am

LiQuid wrote:
kenzo wrote:I think it was Master Higgins (can't remember exactly) who was asking about the longevity of the Harry Potter ride and the franchise as a whole. Mark my words, Harry Potter will be to today's kids, what Star Wars was to us, maybe even more so.

No, didn't you hear? That's gonna be Avatar.

Avatar had stipulations, namely if it becomes a franchise with sequels; Harry Potter is already the complete deal. People will be giving their kids Harry Potter books over fifty years from now.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 8:36am

Wow, dude. Do you have brain damage?
LiQuid

Postby Karen » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 8:48am

kenzo wrote:Portable Swamps at Zonko's, not the Weasley's? Maybe you misheard that too. ;)

Woah, slow those zings down, turbo. Weasley's emporium is in Diagon Alley. The theme park is Hogwarts + Hogsmeade.

from How to Spot Harry Potter Theme Park’s Easter Eggs: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/06/gallery-hogwarts-easter-eggs/
THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby LiQuid » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 8:59am

I'm very glad that place exists. I've never been to a big theme park in my life, but if I ever manage to get to one, I'd make it Potter's for sure. I just don't have any passion or love for Disney or Universal Studios or whatever else is out there.
LiQuid

Postby Pepto » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 11:42am

kenzo wrote:
Pepto wrote:Fuck Ryan Scott and his terrible taste in cartoons.

Ironically coming from the guy whose previous post almost four months ago:
Pepto wrote:Wow, there are some sad haters out there...

I was trying to make a Scott Bromley joke... :|
Pepto

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 1:07pm

Higgins' hate of the CW is justified but it should be pointed out that one of the best shows on TV is on it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby BusyZombieLord » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 2:11pm

I want to thank you guys for talking about the dueling dragons ride. I was really curious about what they were going to do with it. I rode that ride a few years ago and I was really great. I got pins for the ride. I wonder if they are a collectors item now.
BusyZombieLord

Postby kenzo » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 2:33pm

Pepto wrote:I was trying to make a Scott Bromley joke... :|

My apologies. Your joke flew right over my head. Still, who doesn't love taking things out of context? :lol:
LiQuid wrote:Wow, dude. Do you have brain damage?

Probably.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 4:06pm

I just realized they actually participated in moviebox this week.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby slinkdickens » Jun 24th, 2010 @ 5:34pm

I think Ryan is overselling the A-Team movie. I saw it and it's pretty bad. I can kind of see how some people who like (very) dumb action might like it, but I think the movie's biggest offense is that the A-Team isn't helping anyone. They just go on a mission that is completely self-serving. So, even the dumb action lacks the charm of the series. You'd really have to have a major hard on for the series to say that this is a good movie.
slinkdickens

Next
Forum Statistics