Wherein we discuss Geekbox.net and individual episodes of our various podcasts.

The Geekbox: Episode 86

Postby Rydog » Oct 6th, 2010 @ 11:57pm

Karen's out again for this week's episode, but we manage to survive and talk about a bunch of old stuff. Spoiler warning: Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a good game, and you should all play it if you didn't back when it came out.
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Re: The Geekbox: Episode 86

Postby Guillermo_DudeL » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 1:26am

I would like a link to Karen's dog's FaceBook page please.
"I never understand people who like Star Wars but don't even like Star Trek or people who like Star Wars but don't like Star Trek."
-Adam Fitch
Guillermo_DudeL

Postby dancrane212 » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 2:51am

Rydog wrote:Spoiler warning: Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a good game, and you should all play it if you didn't back when it came out.

Hell yes!

Best game on XBLA, there was nothing I would have changed about it, the best remake I have ever played.

Ahhh, just thinking about it makes me want to bust out the soundtrack!
dancrane212

Postby jw_6179 » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 2:54am

That wasn't even the best damned song from Rearmed (That soundtrack was a really great update of classic NES tunes.)

jw_6179

Postby dancrane212 » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 3:06am

[quote="jw_6179"]That wasn't even the best damned song from Rearmed (That soundtrack was a really great update of classic NES tunes.)

Yeah, but it was the first one that popped up in the youtube search!

Heat Wave is my personal favorite.
[youtube]Mfy8CEd_50w&feature=related[/youtube]
dancrane212

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 6:49am

I hope the WoW discussion is shorter than last week.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby James-Kond » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 7:28am

What is the time for the Limbo Spoilers?
It all started with a bang.
James-Kond

Postby Bobloblaw » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 8:22am

The Tales from the Crypt episode Ryan was talking about is:

Dig That Cat... He's Real Gone (TV episode 1989 #1.3)

Ironically, it was directed by Richard Donner.

Joe Pantoliano a bum who meets Dr. Emil Manfred which gives him money to do and experiment on him trying to transfer the nine lives of a cat. When Ulric wakes up he now has nine lives, so he and Dr.Manfred go into business in a carnival side show marketing his remarkable survivability. All of his unique story is told in a series of flash backs told from his last and greatest stunt of being buried alive with the view jumping between flash backs and his current pov in the coffin.

Spoiler: show
At the end of the show, it occurs to the main character that in calculating the number of nine lives he didn't count the life the cat lost when nine lives were transferred from the cat to him.
Bobloblaw

Postby Raine » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 8:28am

Bobloblaw wrote:The Tales from the Crypt episode Ryan was talking about is:

Joe Pantoliano a bum who meets Dr. Emil Manfred which gives him money to do and experiment on him trying to transfer the nine lives of a cat. When Ulric wakes up he now has nine lives, so he and Dr.Manfred go into business in a carnival side show marketing his remarkable survivability. All of his unique story is told in a series of flash backs told from his last and greatest stunt of being buried alive with the view jumping between flash backs and his current pov in the coffin.

At the end of the show, it occurs to the main character that in calculating the number of nine lives he didn't count the life the cat lost when nine lives were transferred from the cat to him.

Wouldn't he expend any extra lives in the coffin anyways? I mean, if he asphyxiated and then snapped back to life wouldn't he just asphyxiate again and immediately burn another life?
Raine

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 8:53am

dancrane212 wrote:
jw_6179 wrote:That wasn't even the best damned song from Rearmed (That soundtrack was a really great update of classic NES tunes.)

Yeah, but it was the first one that popped up in the youtube search!

Heat Wave is my personal favorite.

Strange coincidence that I started posting bionic commando tracks just before the podcast was posted.

Please join in on the fun over here:
http://www.geekbox.net/forums/viewtopic ... =40#p53110

I am also tired of being the only one keeping the thread alive.
Last edited by lemon-fresh on Oct 7th, 2010 @ 9:03am, edited 1 time in total.
lemon-fresh

Postby Bobloblaw » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 8:53am

Raine wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:The Tales from the Crypt episode Ryan was talking about is:

Wouldn't he expend any extra lives in the coffin anyways? I mean, if he asphyxiated and then snapped back to life wouldn't he just asphyxiate again and immediately burn another life?

There is ample evidence that thinking this stunt through didn't occur.
Bobloblaw

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 9:00am

Mr_eX wrote:I hope the WoW discussion is shorter than last week.

Now that Alice is on I fucking hope they only talk about WoW.
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby Raine » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 9:46am

KindGalaxy wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:I hope the WoW discussion is shorter than last week.

Now that Alice is on I fucking hope they only talk about WoW.

Fuck yeah! 4.0.1 is next week, level 80 gameplay is gonna be completely fucked. There's a total revamp of the talent system, some major class changes, and possibly more pre-cataclysm content! Dive into this shit!
Raine

Postby shadyjohnson » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 9:52am

Chris Kohler is a pompous ass. I really don't like the way he collects games, where he screws over people to get what he wants. But when he talks about games, there is a certain gravitas and mastery. His stories about Nintendo are amazing. I don't think anyone can cover the breadth of Nintendo history the way he can. I'm glad that you mentioned him in the show this week and that you also find his knowledge of video games entertaining (overwhelming?).
Pro Lurker
shadyjohnson

Postby IRL_Troll » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 10:30am

This episode needs more Beiber
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 10:35am

More Tales From the Crypt talk please.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 10:39am

shadyjohnson wrote:Chris Kohler is a pompous ass. I really don't like the way he collects games, where he screws over people to get what he wants. But when he talks about games, there is a certain gravitas and mastery. His stories about Nintendo are amazing. I don't think anyone can cover the breadth of Nintendo history the way he can. I'm glad that you mentioned him in the show this week and that you also find his knowledge of video games entertaining (overwhelming?).

Chris Kohler is from the internet. He is awesome. He hates Ninja chicks in bikinis. I'd mind fuck him like a Vulcan fucks a dolphin.
KindGalaxy

Postby Raine » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 10:52am

shadyjohnson wrote:Chris Kohler is a pompous ass. I really don't like the way he collects games, where he screws over people to get what he wants.

Are you talking about what he said during the one Retronauts live panel? Nothing he mentioned doing was that bad. That's the nature of the game when you're a collector. If someone doesn't realize the value of what they're selling that's their problem, not yours. Same goes if someone is desperate to make a sale and you make an offer you both know is too low but they're not in a position to refuse. That's not your problem, it's theirs.

If that's not what you're talking about, please let me know. Does he engage in some other kind of dubious shit I've never heard of?
Raine

Postby Karen » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 11:16am

Guillermo_DudeL wrote:I would like a link to Karen's dog's FaceBook page please.

Here's Otis: http://www.facebook.com/otis.joynt

And Cisco's twitter: http://twitter.com/ciscothedog

THIS GAME GETS 5 APPLES OUT OF PEPSI

http://www.twitter.com/momopeche
Karen
White Dudes Only

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 12:11pm

Raine wrote:
shadyjohnson wrote:Chris Kohler is a pompous ass. I really don't like the way he collects games, where he screws over people to get what he wants.

Are you talking about what he said during the one Retronauts live panel? Nothing he mentioned doing was that bad. That's the nature of the game when you're a collector. If someone doesn't realize the value of what they're selling that's their problem, not yours. Same goes if someone is desperate to make a sale and you make an offer you both know is too low but they're not in a position to refuse. That's not your problem, it's theirs.

If that's not what you're talking about, please let me know. Does he engage in some other kind of dubious shit I've never heard of?

Agreed, he always just seemed like a smart consumer to me.
lemon-fresh

Postby lemon-fresh » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 12:12pm

KindGalaxy wrote:
shadyjohnson wrote: I'd mind fuck him like a Vulcan fucks a dolphin.

Ohhh man I'm totally stealing that line! :lol:
lemon-fresh

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 1:53pm

lemon-fresh wrote:
Raine wrote:

Agreed, he always just seemed like a smart consumer to me.
Let's be real here. If Chris Kohler didn't buy rare game shit off of saps for cheap, someone else would be doing the same thing.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 2:54pm

Most of the moviebox movies have not been terrible...
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 3:46pm

Everyone I've ever met has always associated geek with more super electronic-tech based knowledge and just a very specific focus in general. Nerds were always associated with a broad knowledge base particularly in regards to things that aren't as popular among the majority because they are either too intellectually complex or immature and pointless.

Nerds while still being seen as somewhat outcast from the majority were considered more popular than geeks and became a point of pride particularly as popular culture started stealing from the nerd sub-culture, however geek still has a greater social stigma with it still.

So ya similar with the deifintions you provided although geek has a greater negative connotation than nerd. That said both have become fairly accepted and in certain areas cool.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 4:13pm

I dunno what you're on, Ko... maybe it's a Canada-thing, or a young-people-thing. For me and where/when I grew up, being a nerd was less a 'how much you knew' thing, and more of a lifestyle. Nerds were the dorks, the social pariahs, the weak dweebs on campus. They were hopelessly awkward - lacking in style, flair, and any social graces. Nerds were that stereotype straight out of Revenge of the Nerds.

Geeks on the other hand, is just a word for someone who is hopelessly infatuated with their hobby or whatnot, not a social group or anything. It's just a label you put onto someone who know way too much or was way too enthusiastic about a certain subject. So you had tech-geeks, band-geeks, theater-geeks, sports-geeks, math-geeks, and so on. Having the label 'geek' back in school wasn't necessarily a bad thing, or the kiss of death is social circles - it just meant you knew a fuck-ton about something very specific. Me and most of my friends in High School were geeks of some kind or another, and we ruled that school.
kenzo

Postby no51 » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 5:18pm

I'ved always thought that this was fairly accurate:
no51

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 6:26pm

no51 wrote:I'ved always thought that this was fairly accurate:
Personally, I don't think nerds have any connotations of intelligence. This is the proof that backs my argument:
kenzo

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 7:00pm

lemon-fresh wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:

Shit I don't even remember writing it. Alcohol makes my brain go in odd directions
KindGalaxy

Postby kenzo » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 8:25pm

KindGalaxy wrote:
lemon-fresh wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:
Shit I don't even remember writing it. Alcohol makes my brain go in odd directions
I feel like a douche for nitpicking, but it was a whale, not a dolphin. :?
kenzo

Postby KindGalaxy » Oct 7th, 2010 @ 8:39pm

kenzo wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:
lemon-fresh wrote:
KindGalaxy wrote:
I feel like a douche for nitpicking, but it was a whale, not a dolphin. :?

I don't even watch Star Trek, always looked like a shitty show. I saw the movie, the new one with some friends, boring fucking shit in space. When the Vulcan old dude came out, and we found out it was all a parallel dimension or something from our dimension, or now this is our dimension and star trek was always in another dimension, this was the debate they had after, so I went in for a $2 peep show and left them debating at the gelato shop.
KindGalaxy

Next
Forum Statistics